Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FAQ tip: Detention with children  (Read 545 times)

FAQ tip: Detention with children
« on: October 08, 2005, 10:12:06 PM »
As a relationship becomes more advanced, sometimes you might bring your children along to visit your  boyfriend (girlfriend).  And sometimes something will set off an IO's radar and he will need to find out who you are, and you will be placed in detention at the airport (or in rare cases, possibly taken to a centre like Yarlswood) while they check you out.

The time spent in detention is normally not too long but it can drag on if they have lots of people to check out.  And if you notice that detention is having an adverse effect on your child, it's appropriate to get up and TELL THEM!  You don't have to be overbearing or aggressive about it, you just simply inform the inspector that detention is having an adverse effect on your child.  They have a procedure for that.

It is not going to change the outcome of your case, and they are certainly not going to prejudice their decision because you are a concerned parent.  But your children might be grateful if they are stressed or otherwise reacting poorly to the situation and you have the presence of mind to do something about it.

Remember that during detention, the best policy is appear helpful and cooperative.  But it's totally correct to inform them that your child/children are experiencing adverse effects.  *IF* that's the case.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Re: FAQ tip: Detention with children
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 10:24:49 PM »
Thanks, Garry.

Is this in reference to a real incident?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 08:26:44 AM »
I have to say that even though our experience wasn't great - especially as it ended with having to leave the country! - everyone was really great to my boys whilst we waited.  They gave them stuff to eat and drink and made sure they had a place to lie down as they were tired.

Of course, my kids were older.  I don't know how it would have gone had they been very young.  :-\\\\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 11:27:17 AM »
Is this in reference to a real incident?

In the plural would be correct  :-*

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab