Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How Long Till Passport returned?  (Read 1342 times)

• Liked: 14
How Long Till Passport returned?
« on: October 09, 2005, 05:42:46 PM »
I am wondering on a average how long did it take for folks passports to be returned once sent in for naturalisation?
I know the whole process can vary on how long the naturalistaion itself takes place and am more concerned on how long they are likely to hold on to my passport..
Thanks in Advance
Kaylesh

Re: How Long Till Passport returned?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 05:44:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure they held on to mine for the entire 5 months they were processing it.  :-\\\\
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 05:49:32 PM by otterpop »

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 05:49:01 PM »
Yep, me too.  I think you don't get it back until the whole thing has been processed.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »
Geez -- that's a long time to be without a passport! :(  (We tend to travel regularly & what if you need to go somewhere -- like a family emergency in the USA or something?)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:07:37 PM »
5 months :o  What are you suppose to do to show identity until then? I'll be doing my FLR soon and thought 4 weeks was a long time.............

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »
Geez -- that's a long time to be without a passport! :(  (We tend to travel regularly & what if you need to go somewhere -- like a family emergency in the USA or something?)

You can send a certified copy of your passport rather than the passport itself. 

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 07:36:22 PM »

Certified copy,...don't you have to get every page of your passport certified for that? even the blank pages? Or am I misinformed?

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 07:37:38 PM »
I think there is some procedure for getting it back before the application is completed, but I remember getting freaked out by the small print that said you risked having the application cancelled.  I sent my application off in May last year and I got my passport back just barely in time for our visit to the US for Christmas.  If you have travel for buisness or something, I expect you must be able to get it back...surely!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 07:42:28 PM »
I sent my application off in May last year and I got my passport back just barely in time for our visit to the US for Christmas.  If you have travel for buisness or something, I expect you must be able to get it back...surely! 

Whoa!  There's no way I could go that long without my passport.

Certified copy,...don't you have to get every page of your passport certified for that? even the blank pages? Or am I misinformed?

Yes - please garry or someone?  What exactly do you need to do to get a 'certified copy of your passport'?  Details?
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 08:01:53 PM »
I went through this about 2 years ago (obviously applying by post). I submitted my passport with my application, then when I hadn't heard anything at all for about 5 months I began to panic as I was travelling in 2 months or so. I think things have improved but my experience was that they ignored my emails and it took several hours (over several days) to get through on the phone. Once I did, my passport was returned.

Two or three months later I received a letter stating that they now needed my passport. I went to a local solicitor who photocopied and signed each page and sent that instead. A month or so later my application was approved.

The amount you'll be charged for the certified copy can vary a lot. I met the solictor while walking my dog on the beach - he quoted a fiver - but didn't realize that it meant every page. I paid £10 but my guess is that he would have wanted £20-25 had he realized the exent of the photocopying and certification.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 08:06:46 PM »
I've always heard that every page, including blank pages, had to be certified.

I wasnt bothered at being without my passport, as we tend to holiday in the UK, and i had my driving licence for i/d if needed.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 08:16:09 PM »
It is definitely every page. This is why my solicitor wasn't impressed!

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 09:07:57 PM »
Why does it take 5 months for them to process the application?

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 07:14:49 AM »
Hey, 5 months was a bonus!  ;D
When i looked at their website, it said the average processing time was 8.7 months!

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 08:03:28 AM »
This topic was really scary for me to read because I eventually want to get my citizenship after the appropriate amount of time.  WHAT DO THEY EXPECT YOU TO DO WITHOUT YOUR PASSPORT?  Gosh,  I suppose you could travel in the EU, but like it was already said what about family emergencies?!  It's like putting a ball and chain on you for six or more months.  That length of time seems a little rediculous to me... I don't understand the reasoning behind this?  Does anyone else?    :-\\\\ ???

***modified --->OK, duh, this was already answered, I'm a dork... so a certified copy then?  I'll definitely be doing that!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 08:05:47 AM by Luxie »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab