Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New rule - can no longer amend passport to change name  (Read 1586 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
New rule - can no longer amend passport to change name
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:00:23 PM »
Effective September 26 2005, you can no longer have your old US passport amended to show your married name. You have to apply for a brand new passport. I suppose this means either having the UK visa/leave stamps transferred to the new passport, or else carrying both the old and the new passport.

Here are links explaining further:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/acs/passports/amendindex.htm
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/acs/passports/mar_namech.htm

Oops! I found this already mentioned in the Visas and Citizenship section, but it is good info to have here.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:04:06 PM by sweetpeach »

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: New rule - can no longer amend passport to change name
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 08:25:15 PM »
Thanks sweetpeach -- good info.  I'm planning to do this next year (in summertime) closer to when my LLR visa will be reaching expiration -- before applying for the ILR visa.  (There wasn't enough time between our wedding last year & the expiration of my fiancee visa, so I decided to wait.)

In my instance, it'll be cool getting a new passport anyway -- 'cause the photo in mine now I look like Bertha from Cell Block D (horrible pic & when I was 50-60 pounds heavier) PLUS I've been worried about running out of pages for stamping (we travel regularly).  I'm going to ask for one of the US passports that has more pages in it -- I guess they don't routinely give Americans many pages (unlike hubby's British passport) 'cause they figure we don't go anywhere?! :P
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:43:26 PM »
I think I will do the same next year as well.  Thank you so much for the info.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:51:20 PM »
I found this out the hard way. Good thing SAS was nice and understanding to change my last name without making me buy a new ticket.

I thought you could change your last name, I even read it somewhere. So I booked my name in my married last name. I had it all planned out. Then of course I find out I have to get a new passport. WTF. Yea. I was lucky.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »
I'm too lazy to look for this info. - how much does it cost to get a new passport? Anyone know off hand? I'll probably do that in the summer since I'll be applying for ILR in September.... And then applying for citizenship. Sheesh, it's gonna be an expensive Autumn next year!!!  :-\\\\

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 06:12:18 PM »
The application fee is U.S. $67.00, since you already have a passport but if it were a brand new application it would be $98.00.
Only Time will tell.. it's just too bad she's a closed mouth B**!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 06:17:02 PM »
I called the Passport Agency here in the states because I was confused.  The fee is $67, I have to send in my passport, two new pictures, marriage certificate (original, which is returned with new passport).  She told me they do return my old passport, but I will be getting an entirely new one with new name.  Oh and it take 5-8 WEEKS!

Next stop, settlement visa.  Damn, Ill be broke after moving over, but Ill be with the one I love forever!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:59:02 AM »
Can I still use my old passport that has the amendment for my married name then?

It's a good thing I've got my British passport now so if we wanted to travel anywhere (other than the US, that is), we can!

Mel  ??????

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. . .

Can I apply for a new passport (for a name change due to marriage) if I have a spousal visa in the old passport? Will they transfer the old spousal visa into the new passport? Is there a fee for them to move the spousal visa?

The spousal visa expires this summer, at which time I will apply for ILR.   I wanted to apply for ILR with my new married name (that I haven't officially changed to yet) hence the need for a new passport.  Plus my old one expires in 2008 so it just makes sense to get a new one when I get the new visa and get a new last name. Now is probably a good time to change it because we're not travelling again until April at the earliest.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud because I'm not sure if my plan goes in a logical order!

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 09:41:43 AM »
Hi kowalsks,

You can apply for a new passport and simply carry your old passport with your visa in it when you travel. You can have it put into your new passport but there is a fee for it and most people choose not to (so I'm thinking it's probably not cheap). Since you're applying for ILR soon then you won't have to do it for long anyway.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 11:09:34 AM »
That's easy enough! Thanks, among the stars.  :)

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 09:10:22 AM »
A couple more questions for you!

1- Is there anywhere else that I need to change my name before I apply for a new passport in my married name?  I haven't been using my new name at all (basically because we're having a wedding in October and my US relatives don't know I'm married).  Do I just send in the marriage certificate as my proof that my name has been changed due to marriage? 

2- When can I apply for ILR? My spousal visa expires in July. I know that you're supposed to send it in before the spousal visa expires, but not too soon because then you'd be applying too early and you might get rejected. So when is the right time??? A month before it expires? 2 months?

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 01:07:25 PM »
Me again with a few more questions. . .

1- I booked a flight for October in my maiden name, but want to change the name on my passport soon so I can apply for ILR in July. Can I just carry my old passport with me for the flight in October? Or do I have to contact the airline and tell them what happened to get my name switched on the ticket?

2- On the passport application, it asks for your current address and your permanent address. Maybe I'm just in denial but is my UK address my permanent address, or are they looking for an address in the US (since its a US passport?)

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 01:36:10 PM »
1. The name on your ticket has to be the name on your valid passport. If you apply for a new one they will punch a hole into your old passport which negates that one.

Depending on what type of ticket you bought they may or may not let you change it. Some airlines will let you change the name for a fee. But, in the past once we booked a ticket and the client came back and said oh I've given you the wrong name, we have been told on occasion well I am sorry you will have to purchase and book a new ticket.

I put on my passport my address that I live in the UK.

Best to contact your airline or whomever you purchased your ticket thru and speak to them. But I am 99.9999% they won't let you use a passport that isn't valid.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »
Thanks sweetpeach -- good info.  I'm planning to do this next year (in summertime) closer to when my LLR visa will be reaching expiration -- before applying for the ILR visa.  (There wasn't enough time between our wedding last year & the expiration of my fiancee visa, so I decided to wait.)

In my instance, it'll be cool getting a new passport anyway -- 'cause the photo in mine now I look like Bertha from Cell Block D (horrible pic & when I was 50-60 pounds heavier) PLUS I've been worried about running out of pages for stamping (we travel regularly).  I'm going to ask for one of the US passports that has more pages in it -- I guess they don't routinely give Americans many pages (unlike hubby's British passport) 'cause they figure we don't go anywhere?! :P

I'm an stating something I never ever do................My first name is Bertha.......................... :-[ :\\\'(

Which is why I don't go by it as the image it brings up....

I know you didn't mean anything by what you put Carolyn..............I sooo hate that name....named after my father his name was Bertram...WHY would you do that to a little girl...

Sponsored Links