Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Women's Issue... contraceptives in UK  (Read 8255 times)

• Liked: 24
Women's Issue... contraceptives in UK
« on: May 10, 2002, 04:35:38 PM »
Okay, in short, I want my tubes tied. Cut, whatever is the US custom. A few years ago they still made a little incision and cut the tubes.

I don't know if it's different regionally in the UK, but last year I saw a consultant OB about getting sterilized. What they do here is put a couple of steel clips on the tubes. That's it. With that there is a substantial risk of pregnancy and tubal pregnancy.  ::)

I cancelled that thought, because I do not want something akin to paperclips on my tubes. Just a warning to others, so they're not surprised.

Does anyone know if an injection is available here? I can't remember what it was called in the States. I am a stinker at remembering to take pills.

One other note, contraception is free on the NHS.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2002, 01:59:34 PM by admin »

Re: Women's Issue... contraceptives in UK
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 02:29:21 AM »
Depo-Provera (4 times a year) and free on the NHS.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 01:34:43 AM »
Having been on Depo-Provera for over a year now, I have to say it's a wonderful form of birth control.  It's effective immediately (no waiting a month or so for pills to take effect); it's relatively painless (NO SURGERY!); and you only have to deal with it every 12-13 weeks.  At the risk of getting personal - I now have no period at all (which took about 3-4 shots before it went away completely).  Conversely, I had Norplant for 5 years and experienced the most confusing periods ever!

I made sure to confirm that Depo was available over in the UK before I move there in October - as I really can't think of any other alternative.  Don't know what I did before it!!  (oh, yeah I do.  They're 13 and 8.... ::))
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2002, 02:16:59 AM »
Just a thought ... BF / hubby could always get the snip.  It's a lot less complicated than female sterilization procedures and it's covered by the NHS.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2002, 02:18:22 AM by Elaine »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2002, 10:24:06 AM »
Just be warned about Depo Prevera.  I went on the pill form and had horrible side effects.  I also know two other people that had the same experiences, but with the shot.   :(   I went on the pill form first, so that if I needed to I could stop anytime (Thank God I did).  I'm one of those people that if there is a side effect, it will happen to me. :-/
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Liked: 24
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2002, 05:37:19 PM »
BF / hubby could always get the snip.  It's a lot less complicated than female sterilization procedures and it's covered by the NHS.

My hubby has a medi-phobia, there is no chance of that happening!

Just be warned about Depo Prevera.

I used Depo several years ago, don't know why I couldn't remember what it was called, but I didn't have a problem with side effects, I'm not a sensitive type luckily. I did gain weight, which at this point I would welcome, I know people hate to hear this, but I am underweight, and it's driving me crazy. I feel like a walking skeletal stick figure. Another side effect was no more monthlies, no pms, and that is a good side effect if you ask me!  :D

Thanks Jackyd99!  :)

• London, here I come...
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 07:48:07 PM »
I'm curious glasgow-girl, what are the side effects? If you don't mind remembering the unpleasantness....

And another curiousity question - where do most people stand on the issue of abortion in the UK? I might be opening pandora's box, but I'm just wondering what the overall view seems to be. I don't want to start any discomfort, just curious. Is it a shhhshh topic there? Are people passionate about it? You get the idea.

Thanks, you guys just got me thinking about the mood on birth control there... I must say free pills and shots is a good idea. My university offered them for $5 and I thought THAT was nice....

:) Liz
*You only disappoint the ones who don't believe*

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2002, 12:52:02 PM »
I'm curious glasgow-girl, what are the side effects? If you don't mind remembering the unpleasantness....

Well I've known two other people, besides myself, who have had simular problems.  The other two were the reason I went on the pill form, before I decided to have the shot, that way if I wanted to quit I could.  If you take the shot you have to ride out the entire three months.  Basically I bled the entire time I was on it (about a month and a half).  I went to the Dr. over here after a couple of weeks and he said it was common and that it would even out.  That may have been the case, but I was also having huge mood swings.  I was having moment where I was scraming at the top of my lungs at my husband.  :-/  After 5 or 6 weeks, I'd had enough and changed pills.  I know there were other side effects that I've heard about, but it's been so long, I couldn't tell you what they were.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2002, 01:07:02 PM »
I know I already commented here, but I just want to say that each woman is so different in how she reacts to contraceptives.  I've had no problems with the Depo shots - not even weight gain, surprisingly.  I have been experiencing mood swings, but since they only started about 4 months ago and I've been on the shot for 1-1/2 years, I hardly think it has to do with that.  Just probably with the stress I've been under over this move  ::)

Personally, I could never think of getting my tubes tied.  And I would never ask Phil to have a vasectomy.  Just the thought creeps me out.  So we stick with the shot and it's done very well by us for the past 18 months!  (Thank goodness, since I'm as fertile as they come...!)

Again, everyone is different.  But any form of birth control, taken in shot or pill, takes time to clear out of the system once you decide to forego it in order to try to get pregnant.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2002, 02:30:10 PM »
HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay ladies I need help here as you may have gathered ;D

Went to see my GP last week to get prescriptions refilled ..blah blah blah. So anyways, two of the prescriptions I needed to restock on were birth control pills and migraine pills (imitrex).
Okay so according to my doc they don't make either of what I use out here (I'm still doubtful about this, but for now I'm playing along). Anyways, he doesn't want  to put me on the pill because I have migraines .. now fair enough but I've always had migraines and they've never gotten out of control with contraceptives before, nor did my doc in Cali worry about it. So to make a long story short ... no birth control.
Now I'm really unamused about this  >:(
I told him I get migraines because I have children .. if I don't have the birth control, I'll have more children and I'll get more migraines  :D. (He had no sense of humor ...big surprise).
He's talking about a much lower dose of birth control - and I can't do it! Sounds childish but I'll tell you why .. I got pregnant with the twins on a lower dose of birth control !!!! (and no I didn't miss a pill ..hee hee). So you can see why I'm not happy about this. Is this just my doc being high maintence? Does anyone else here suffer from migraines and take some form of oral or injected contraceptive here ? If so could you let me know ?
I get jumpy without birth control - I'd take the special asbestos filled ones if I thought it would shut down my fertility levels!!!
(it's all my fault really .. I meant to be 'snipped' in the US but never got around to getting time off for it ..I'm not doing the metal clips here in the UK ..that's just scary).
I'm back to his office this afternoon to fight round 2.
Any advice would be appreciated ... preferably sometime in the next 14 days  [smiley=devilish.gif]
Red
You're a daisy if you do........

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2002, 02:43:05 PM »
Hey Fiesty,

I have a history of migranes, and have been prescribed 4 different pills (of varying doses) while I have been here.  I think your Dr. is a quack.  I would highly suggest you get a second opinion.  I hate to say it, but I really don't trust the opinions of Dr's in this country.  I treated my Dr. at home like a god and his word is law.  In the Uk I go to the Dr. and then come home and e-mail or phone my Dr. in the states to get a real diagonosis.  I definately wouldn't let it lie.  See a second Dr. and if his/her opinion is the same then there might be a genuine concern about you taking birth control, but would highly doubt it!

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2002, 04:59:20 PM »
Get a second opinion! I have learned the hard way not to trust all GPs here. I've seen three over the course of a year and it wasn't till I saw the last one that my health issues were properly identified and treatment began. Part of this had to do with birthcontrol. The first two didn't want to put me on it because of my migranes and low iron count. I bought it and didn't ask again to go on birthcontrol until my iron levels came up. Well long story short they never did and my symptoms got worse (I wasn't able to get out of bed some days) so I went to a different GP who was new to the practice. He said it was rediculous that they didn't at least play around with birthcontrol on me, I got the Depro shot a month ago and feel fine aside from my other medical problems. In addition to the birthcontrol he is the first Dr who actually listened to me didn't think I was a hypocondriac (sp?). Anyways don't be afraid to ask for another opinion.

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2002, 05:23:12 PM »
Thanks Guys ! ;D

The appt I have today is with a senior partner and not the original doc I saw ..(I made sure of that last week). I know that I scared him when I walked in for first visit (bleeding disorder, hypothyroidism, migraines, reproductive problems <hereditary> blah, blah, blah). He actually admitted I should probably be seeing someone more senior then himself  [smiley=blush.gif] LOL.

Even though I gave my history upfront (along with generic drug names for reference) he was really adamant about the birth control pill and migraine meds thing. I figured he was mistaken, but by the same token, different countries sometimes have different rules about concominant medication use soooooooo I figured I'd holler here first and make sure before I met with the senior Doc this afternoon.

Thank you again ladies ... wish me luck ( especially in regards to putting my ovaries out of work again real soon  [smiley=mad.gif])
You're a daisy if you do........

• London, here I come...
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2002, 08:48:25 PM »
I just started the pill form of depro-provera, and I think I have the evil side effects too...

Mainly its been migranes and tears.  :-[

Any words of comfort? If I don't take it tomorrow how soon will I be back to normal? (so husband knows when to plan on coming out of hiding) :o

It is so much fun being a woman!

-Liz

*You only disappoint the ones who don't believe*

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2002, 06:29:52 PM »
Heads up on the Depo shot ladies!  I went to my Doctor earlier this month for my usual injection (btw, if you're having a light period while on it...try taking an iron supplement....always sorts it out for me), and found out that there is some sort of manufacturing shortage in the UK...so even tho my next injection is due in Feb, no chance of Depo until March. :O  So I've been given a temporary prescription of the pill (dunno which one, just a pill lol) to take from the End of Jan until I can get the shot (I'm going home in Feb on vacation and intend to get it there...so only a few weeks).

Just thought you might want to know!
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

Sponsored Links