Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Health Insurance  (Read 2595 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Health Insurance
« on: August 13, 2002, 03:14:21 PM »
Hi, really glad I've found everyone. it's been really interesting to hear everyone's experiences, and frankly they're v similar to mine!

Cool tips with the AMEX card and HSBC for Credit History - will definitely be considering this as we start the move back.

Anyone out there have any tips on getting Health Insurance, do I have to pay through the nose until I/we get a job that has insurance. I can't remember how things work over there. Been here over 10 years now!!

• En Vino Veritas
Re: Health Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 10:03:45 PM »
Hey Scotty,

My first question to you would be, where are you returning to ?
Different states offer a vast majority of plans and there are a few to keep you from going under water with the monthly bills until you find a job.
My first suggestion would be to do an internet search for personal medical insurance in your area. Another consideration (and one you might find to be the cheapest) is to check out Kaiser Permanente. They offer a wide variety of personal plans at fairly reasonable prices. A word of warning, many of these plans will have pre-exsisting exemptions which can be a nightmare. If everyone is in good health you should be fine, however if you do face any special medical restrictions, then you should also check the county website for where you will be residing. They often will have a list or a contact for you if you are ineligable for personal health insurance through a private company. It's a bit of a nightmare and some states are better than others. Holler if you have any questions ... I have great contacts at Kaiser and have walked this particular road too many times myself.
I wish you luck,
Red
You're a daisy if you do........

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 12:43:57 PM »
Heya Red,

I had no idea about going through states and counties.. is that like medicare or something? I'm from Connecticut, so CT, MA or NY are the most likely possibilities.

I was also thinking about BUPA.. don't know if you have thought/experiences about that.

My brother paid for his health insurance out of pocket and was forking out $400/mth while he was unemployed. ouch.

scotty

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 01:17:12 PM »
Hey Scotty,

Medicare is officially the state run medical programs however, many independent insurers now offer special plans in association with the states to help lower what was an alarming number of uninsured Americans. I believe Kaiser is available in the states you mentioned and at around 200+ a month, you may find it to be one of the better and cheaper plans until you are employed. The $400 a month your brother was paying sounds like COBRA, which is the way for an unemployed person to continue to recieve the same medical plan and all it's benefits (vision dental etc) for 18 mos after leaving or losing a job. COBRA is never, ever, cheap since it's based on services that would originally be offered in big numbers to a company as opposed to the individual.
I would check the websites for all the states you mentioned as well as Kaiser and see what works best for you.
The other consideration here would be how you are re-entering the country. If you are going to the States on vacation to find work first, find out what your current medical plan covers internationally. It maybe easier that way ....
Once again Good Luck.
Red

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 01:45:21 PM »
Hi Red,

Thanks v much. I wonder if it'd be worth it to start paying for private insurance over here with Kaiser or maybe BUPA in order to build up a medical history with them, as there is a health 'problem' (not the right word, but you know what I mean) in the family. Although it's riskier, we will be selling house, quitting jobs, etc, making a clean break next spring. So I'm keen to remove as much financial black holes as poss!

We're planning starting all the forms/applications with the US Embassy, next month to give plenty of time. Scary!

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 02:02:12 PM »
Ah the pre-exsisting condition nightmare.  :-/ I know that routine all to well. I'd seriously take your time check out all the websites. If BUPA transfers to the states it maybe the way to go, however, often times they won't cover you if you are 'residing' elsewhere. Vacations are one thing, long stays probably okay but living in the states they might give you grief if they're not in that area. Insurance companies will often balk at paying doctors outside of their network plan, so make sure in case of any problems. It's always a headache in the States when it comes to medical insurance as I'm sure you know. I'd take your time and check out all the sites and plans carefully - send for the packets and consider calling in advance. It's hard since you don't know where you'll be living right now but you don't want to get caught unawares. Someone will always get sick or hurt the moment you don't have insurance .. it's Murphy's Law.
You have my sympathy .... I'll have to deal with it too eventually ... just not for a few more years Thank God  :D
Best of Luck
Red

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2002, 02:25:41 PM »
will do thanks!

btw, I used to live in Mapperley and Mapperley Park. you know it?

• NH to Bristol 2X since 1992
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2002, 04:32:26 PM »
Hi Scotty,

My husband and I moved from UK to the US in 1993 as my husband was given early retirement here from his job.

He had private insurance here with Norwich Union as a perk of his job. They have an international expats division. We picked up a private American plan from them which cost about $150 a month for him and $125 for me. At the time he was under 55 years of age. The base cost has probably gone up over time.

We kept that until we moved back here in 2000. The cost did rise each year for him because of his age, mine didn't until I reached age 50 then the increases came.

The Norwich people were very easy to deal with. My husband had to have his gall bladder out in the US and the excess (deductible) was something ridiculous like $100 and they paid everything after that. They use MEDEX in the US, so if you go to an ER, you give your insurance ID card to the admissions clerk and the US 800 number to verify your coverage with MEDEX is right there, so there is no messing about.

Norwich Union has a website. They are located in Eastleigh in Hampshire.

:)Lauren
You don't stop laughing because you grow old;
you grow old because you stop laughing.

Sponsored Links