Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned  (Read 49098 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2017, 10:51:53 PM »
Thank you this thread- it is very helpful as I've just found out we're pregnant! Waiting to hear back from the midwife as it's still early but this is helpful in making plans moving forward...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations!  I'm on #2.  Let me know if you have any questions.  The NHS is good but can confusing for a first time Mom.

• Liked: 13
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
Congratulations!  I'm on #2.  Let me know if you have any questions.  The NHS is good but can confusing for a first time Mom.

Thank you KFdancer! I'm not entirely sure where to begin. Mostly I've been struggling to determine what we may qualify for in terms of benefits/support so we can try to picture what our lives might look after baby arrives and how we're going to adjust our expenses. I think I'm classified as a 'worker' so I think I may qualify for SMP (but haven't talked to my employer about this yet). When is it advisable to let your employer know? As I'm on 6-month renewable contract at the moment, I'm just wondering if saying I'm pregnant might affect my potential for renewal (which as I've already been renewed once and the job is ongoing, I would reasonably expect another extension).

As far as the NHS goes, I've contacted my GP but they only had me come fill out a form for the midwife, whom I'm still waiting to hear back from. As far as I understand it, I can expect around 10 or so appointments... Is there anything in particular you think I ought to be aware of? I'm just curious about the fact that I don't know who the midwife is and I can't call her now to get some advice as this is my first time! (Basically, I'm relying heavily on Dr. Google and the NHS Choices website)...

Basically (if you can't tell) I don't even know where to begin, except by trying to make sure I make it through trimester 1...

Congrats, girlwithapuck!

Time to change your username to girlwithababy!

Love this. Thank you! :)

Spouse Visa Granted: 20 January 2016 - Arrived in UK: 27 February 2016 - FLR(M) Granted: 12 November 2018 - LiTUK Test Passed: 6 March 2021 - ILR Application Submitted: 13 March 2021 - Biometrics: 10 April 2021 - ILR Approved 25 August 2021 - UK Citizenship Application Submitted: 20 September 2021 - Biometrics: 12 October 2021 - Email Invite to Citizenship Ceremony: 15 November 2021

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
Everything I'm about to say will 100% depend on your postcode but likely:

8-10 weeks you'll "book in" with the midwife.  They'll fill out paperwork, family history, ask where you want to deliver baby, take blood and urine

12 weeks ultrasound at hospital to date pregnancy.  Due date may be changed here.  They'll do a statistic calculation with scan and blood work for chromosome abnormalities if requested.  Let me know of you get scary results.  Been there, got the tshirt.

16 weeks midwife, blood and urine.  Might hear the heartbeat your the first time.

20 week anamoly ultrasound.  Lots of checks and measurements to check baby's well being.  Can find out gender here potentially.

25 or 28 week check with GP or midwife

All gets fuzzy for me around here, as that's when problems kicked off for me first time around and I was moved to consultant care (obstretian).  If no problems, you don't have any further scans and just checks with GP or midwife.

It's hands off unless they detect a problem which isn't a bad thing.  Unfortunately my experience has been VERY medical.   :P  The tough part is that it's best to stay off Google and such but there isn't a great deal of info without it!

If you want to meet other first time moms in your area due at the same time, I highly recommend NCT classes.  Not cheap but the best friends money can buy.   ;)

If you google, you'll find a good maternity calculator that shows you if you qualify for SMP or maternity allowance.  You'll get one or the other as you've been working (same money). 

Do what feels right for work.  I waited until 20 weeks to tell work this time due to my risks.  Legally you have until 25 weeks to tell them.

• Liked: 13
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
Thank you so, so much, KFdancer! This is my first time after having an early miscarriage in 2015 so I've found it difficult to try to 'enjoy pregnancy' as mostly I'm wondering and worrying if things are going as they ought to be.

This timeline's really helpful. I'll definitely let you know if I get any scary results!

I'm hoping to hear from the midwife soon. Work-wise, I'll see how things go. If all is well, I'll wait until 12-16 weeks to start asking about what I can get/do as this would be happening around my contract extension time period so I imagine I'll have to say something then...

I'll definitely look into the NCT classes, as it'd be good to get into a local community. I work with mostly men, and the women I do work with - only 2 have children (one of which is 18, the other is maybe 7). The women I am actually a bit closer to at work have expressly stated that they didn't want children, so could be useful to have a community of other women also experiencing this!
Spouse Visa Granted: 20 January 2016 - Arrived in UK: 27 February 2016 - FLR(M) Granted: 12 November 2018 - LiTUK Test Passed: 6 March 2021 - ILR Application Submitted: 13 March 2021 - Biometrics: 10 April 2021 - ILR Approved 25 August 2021 - UK Citizenship Application Submitted: 20 September 2021 - Biometrics: 12 October 2021 - Email Invite to Citizenship Ceremony: 15 November 2021

• Liked: 43
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2017, 06:34:15 PM »
Thank you so, so much, KFdancer! This is my first time after having an early miscarriage in 2015 so I've found it difficult to try to 'enjoy pregnancy' as mostly I'm wondering and worrying if things are going as they ought to be.

This timeline's really helpful. I'll definitely let you know if I get any scary results!

I'm hoping to hear from the midwife soon. Work-wise, I'll see how things go. If all is well, I'll wait until 12-16 weeks to start asking about what I can get/do as this would be happening around my contract extension time period so I imagine I'll have to say something then...

I'll definitely look into the NCT classes, as it'd be good to get into a local community. I work with mostly men, and the women I do work with - only 2 have children (one of which is 18, the other is maybe 7). The women I am actually a bit closer to at work have expressly stated that they didn't want children, so could be useful to have a community of other women also experiencing this!

Congrats! Defo second the NCT classes. They seem to bypass traditional British reservedness when it comes to making pals and allow people to go all in from the get go.
Good luck with your pregnancy.
KFD's timeline was much like mine in Scotland.
Happy to answer any further questions. Most of pregnancy is just waiting!
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

• Liked: 342
Re: Claiming Child Benefit/child tax credits
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »

Basically, we found out a couple of weeks ago that I, as a UK born citizen, will receive child tax credits for my USC step daughter (here on dependent visa with hermother n a spouse visa).  However, I have also found out, a coupe of days ago, that we shall also be entitled to child benefits.  I am not sure if this is common knowledge here so forgive me if it is.

Now, today I have found out that my working tax credit award has been quite seriously delayed as the inland revenue try to match up my daughter with the child benefits department.  This they cannot do of course as we haven't claimed yet due to the assumption that child benefit would be classed as 'public funds'.  So, the upshot is, I will have to send the childs birth certificate and passport to the inland revenue - which I cannot do until they send me a letter requesting it, even though I know and they know that this info is all that is delaying my tax credit award.  Crazy eh?

Bear in mind that the child benefit can take up to 26 weeks for a foreign born child to process and that they will need the same original documents as the inland revenue.  So, if you find yourselves in this situation - i.e. USC married to a UKC with a USC child in the mix, make sure you apply for child benefit as soon as possible.  Call them first and find out exactly what you need to do, send them to correct documents via secure and recorded delivery, and then prepare to do the same for your working tax credits.

I hope all of this makes sense.  If not feel free to PM me.  It should be known that child benefit will only be backdated for three months, regardless of how long it takes to process the claim.  We are just glad to be entitled though to be honest.  Every little helps.  Please note - ALWAYS check all details yourself with the relevent body/office/department.  I am not an expert in these matters, just an everyday joe passing on my own experience to date.

Have a good christmas one and all.

Don't forget that this post is very old and things have changed. Some things changed a while ago but the Welfare Reform Act that started on it's way in about 2008, is coming into force from this year to "make work pay".

i.e. The income based welfare payments Jobseeker's Allowance, Child Tax Credits, Income Support, Working Tax Credits. ESA and Housing Benefit are all being relaced by the one welfare payment, Universal Credit. UC is much stricter for claimants.

i.e.
both parents have a set amount to earn each week or face UC Conditions.

Tax Credits allowed a spouse to claim this benefit via a British spouse, even though they had 'no recourse to public funds'.   Then the UK stopped this claiming via a British spouse, unless they have a child. UC seems to read like it will mean that 'no access to public funds' will mean this for everyone.

Those who are on Tax Credits at the moment, will be moved onto UC from this year. Some will trigger a change  and get moved onto UC and they will not get any transitional protection (drop in benefits). The rest will be moved over later and will get transtional protection, but that won't last long if they don't meet their MIT (minimum income threshold).

Those with 16k or over will not get Universal Credit. That 16k now includes the capital in properties they don't live in, in any country.

However on UC
 those who do work more hours to support their own children, won't get the cliff edge drop in benefits like they do under the present system and they will better off on UC .
 those who only claim UC for a few months, won't be hit with a bill to pay it all back at the end of the tax year as happened under Tax Credits, as UC claimants will be have to claim every month (instead of once a year).

If you have been claimaing any of the above benefits longterm, then you need to look at how the Welfare Reform Act will affect you and read up on Universal credit. This Act also affects other benefits too.

Child Benefit isn't changing as that has changed already and is now an income based benefit (instead of everyone getting it as it used to be).

Universal Credit will come under the DWP as do all other benefits except -
HMRC will still deal with Child Benefit as they have their Real Time system to check salaries and impose a fine if an SA is not sent in on time. Tax credits will end and be replaced by UC and the DWP will manage UC. HMRC will still do sweeps of their system for the DWP and councils as will UKVI.
Councils will only deal with Council Tax Allowance (was Council Tax Benefit) as each council sets their own CT and decides how much benefit claimaints in their area must now pay: they choose this percentage. Housing Benefit is being replaced by UC.

Basically every benefit soon to be managed by the DWP, except Child Benefit and Council Tax Allowance.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:19:38 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 9
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
Hi all,

The due date of my little one is April 11. I'm on a tier2 general visa and my wife is a qualified EU person. I have been told I would not be able to claim child benefit as I have no recourse to public funds, but that my wife could claim it.

I know the form asks about both parents due to the income requirements. Do we just put her as the "primary parent" or as the "main applicant" or something along those lines?

Also when are you supposed to submit the application?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
Hi all,

The due date of my little one is April 11. I'm on a tier2 general visa and my wife is a qualified EU person. I have been told I would not be able to claim child benefit as I have no recourse to public funds, but that my wife could claim it.

I know the form asks about both parents due to the income requirements. Do we just put her as the "primary parent" or as the "main applicant" or something along those lines?

Also when are you supposed to submit the application?

Under present rules and while the UK is in the EU, your EEA citizen wife can claim UK benefits if:
-  she is a "worker qualified person" and retains that status at all times.
- while she holds 'retained worker rights' (limited time only).
- if she has PR.

Self sufficient/student qualified persons are not allowed UK benefits. i.e. if she decides not to return to work in the set time before her 'retained worker rights' end and wants to continue to live in the UK, then she could use your salary to be a self suffciient qualified person, but to be that she and the baby will need to have their own CSI (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) and she can no longer claim UK benefits.

You can read about it here.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/european-economic-area-nationals-qualified-persons

If she holds PR and has not been out of the UK for 2 years since, then she doesn't have to be a qualified person in the UK.

If she can claim UK benefits (see above) then the claim must be in her sole name as it is a breach of your UK "visa" to claim public funds. As you say, your income is looked at too because Child Benefit is now an income based benefit.
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/overview

You can't claim until after the child is born as you need to submit their birth certificate. BTW, congratulations. :)
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/how-to-claim

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:55:55 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 9
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
BTW, congratulations. :)

And thanks for the info. I see from how the form is written that she would be the the claimant and they ask for much less information from me.

• Liked: 113
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »
We found out today with a home test that I'm pregnant with our 2nd, possibly 6 weeks now. While we are super thrilled with this news I can't help but be a tiny bit bummed because I've made it so far (4th interview) with one of my job applications. So it would make the most sense for me to continue with my part time job at Sainsbury's because I'd be entitled to SMP by the 15th week prior to my due date. Am I right in my understanding of the SMP rules (for Scotland)? SMP is one of those public benefits that I can claim without affecting my spouse visa right?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 10:48:29 PM »

Waahooooooo!!!  Congratulations!!!!

Yes, you will qualify for SMP.

I say continue with the other interview process!!!  Wait until you have to to tell then (25 weeks).  You will still qualify for maternity allowance, which is identical to SMPfor all intents and purposes.

• Liked: 114
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »
SMP is usually¹ more than MA because the first six weeks are paid at 90% of the employee's average weekly earnings and the remaining 33 weeks are paid at £20.74² per day.

MA is £20.74 per day the whole way through.

Editing for clarification, because I'm half-asleep:

¹ I say usually, because I suppose there is a possibility that it isn't. The weekly rate of MA (and low-rate SMP) is £145.18², whereas your average weekly earnings need to exceed £116² to qualify for SMP based on meeting/exceeding the NI lower earnings limit.  There is that middle area between £116 and £145.18 where, I suppose, technically your SMP could be less than MA. I have not ever encountered this situation, however, so I must admit this is a bit of speculation on my part.

² This rate applies until the end of this financial year only (05 April). It may change after that.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:33:20 AM by heyjay »

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
SMP is more than MA because the first six weeks are paid at 90% of the employee's average weekly earnings and the remaining 33 weeks are paid at £20.74 per day.

MA is £20.74 per day the whole way through.

Oh boo!

But I'd still go for the job!!!

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »
Oh boo!

But I'd still go for the job!!!
Definitely! I probably would, as well, especially if it's better in the long run. :)

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
Just a quick message to say I edited my original post to provide a bit more information.

Also, sorry if I came off as abrupt or rude, KF. I didn't mean to - I'm just super tired this morning. Having gone back and re-read my post, it doesn't "sound" very nice in my head when I do. So sorry about that!

Sponsored Links