Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned  (Read 49341 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 12:10:30 PM »
By the time DWP makes a decision she will have been here long enough to get ILR anyway!!

ROFL!   ;D

Vicky

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »
FWIW, you can get maternity pay on FLR, not just ILR. I did. You have to have worked for a certain amount of time prior to taking maternity leave to be eligible. I'm sure I posted about that in this thread somewhere already...

Pretty sure the same applies for statuatory as well.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »
I always get confused with FLR. My husband and I are here on 5 year work permits. Is that similar to FLR? Thanks

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »
You should be entitled to maternity pay, as I said (and balmerhon confirmed) because it is a contributory benefit, you're not claiming public funds.  However, if you stop working, then it could be argued that you are no longer working.  I guess you would be okay but only if you return to the same job afterwards.

Vicky

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »
Lots of people at my work (American School) get maternity pay and are still considered to be on their work permit as it's a temporary leave due to pregnancy...they just come back after their maternity leave.  I'll be still (hopefully) in my FLR on a work permit when I get pregnant & take maternity leave...and I've been told it's fine.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 04:55:06 PM »
FWIW, you can get maternity pay on FLR, not just ILR. I did. You have to have worked for a certain amount of time prior to taking maternity leave to be eligible. I'm sure I posted about that in this thread somewhere already...

Pretty sure the same applies for statuatory as well.

Thanks for that.  My FLR expires just after my due date.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]  So I'll be starting my leave on FLR and transitioning to ILR...  What a mess.   :P

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »
Thanks for that.  My FLR expires just after my due date.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]  So I'll be starting my leave on FLR and transitioning to ILR...  What a mess.   :P

I did the same. My FLR expired about 3 months after Sammy was born. Just make sure your company gets a photocopy of your new visa for their records. Legally they need it to continue to pay you!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Hiya!! Firstly, let me say, omg, I LOVE this website.  It is so useful for so many things. :D

Anyway, here's my latest question:  Once we have moved to the UK, I will be about 16 weeks along in my pregnancy. So assuming it takes about a month to get employment, I'll probably be about 20 weeks along.  Will I be able to receive maternity pay by the time my baby is due? I know I'll eligible to receive leave for sure but it doesn't look as though I'd be eligible for pay during my leave and wanted to make sure this sounded correct. 

This is my first pregnancy so am I bit worried about having to take time off work and the financial implications of that.

Thanks a lot!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Once we have moved to the UK, I will be about 16 weeks along in my pregnancy. So assuming it takes about a month to get employment,

It really depends on what kind of work you're looking for.  If you're going for anything "professional", it's almost guaranteed to take longer than a month to find a good position.  If you just want a "job", a month might be a reasonable time frame.  Also, and obviously it's illegal for them to do so, but if you're showing at interviews, some companies will dismiss you offhand because they know you'll want maternity leave soon.   :-\\\\

Will I be able to receive maternity pay by the time my baby is due?

I think it depends on the employer.  Where I work, you must be employed for 26 weeks before you are eligible for maternity pay.  I don't know if there's a law stating a minimum period of time before maternity pay kicks in, though.  Someone else will probably be able to answer that for you.

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 10:32:24 PM »
There is a minimum period you have to be employed, by law, in order to qualify for statutory maternity pay (SMP). I think it's 6 months ( ie 26 weeks like Lola says).   Otherwise if you don't qualify for that, there is the maternity allowance but you would need to check the terms of your visa as to whether you can claim that or not, as I think it is classed as a "benefit."

More details here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10029290
http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Dev_008115.xml.html

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 11:06:10 PM »
Otherwise if you don't qualify for that, there is the maternity allowance but you would need to check the terms of your visa as to whether you can claim that or not, as I think it is classed as a "benefit."

More details here:

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Dev_008115.xml.html

In addition, you have to have a certain amount of NI contributions to get that - otherwise, you get incapacity benefit, which you aren't eligible for unless you have ILR, as it's a public fund.

Probably what might be a good idea is to sign on with a temp agency, seeing as you'll be halfway through your pregnancy when you arrive.

It's technically illegal to discriminate against a pregnant woman in hiring practices, but that's not saying it doesn't happen.

• taking over birmingham one by one...
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2007, 08:56:38 PM »
There is a minimum period you have to be employed, by law, in order to qualify for statutory maternity pay (SMP). I think it's 6 months ( ie 26 weeks like Lola says).   Otherwise if you don't qualify for that, there is the maternity allowance but you would need to check the terms of your visa as to whether you can claim that or not, as I think it is classed as a "benefit."

More details here:

do those of us on spousal visas qualify for maternity allowance?

my due date and the time i started my job have sonspired against me: if i was due two weeks later than i am, i would qualify for SMP through my employer. but, as it stands, i do not.

and i'm starting to worry now.

my visa is up in may 2008. my plan is to go for my ILR then. the bairn is due in april 2008.
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2007, 09:34:41 PM »
Pretty sure you have to be on ILR to qualify.

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2007, 10:48:27 PM »

do those of us on spousal visas qualify for maternity allowance?

my due date and the time i started my job have sonspired against me: if i was due two weeks later than i am, i would qualify for SMP through my employer. but, as it stands, i do not.

and i'm starting to worry now.

my visa is up in may 2008. my plan is to go for my ILR then. the bairn is due in april 2008.

I had FLR on a work permit and I qualified for SMP.  I was in the same situation you are in, had started a new job and got preg. 2 weeks later.  Due to my previous employment hours I qualified for SMP.  I'm not sure about MA though. 

• taking over birmingham one by one...
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »
I had FLR on a work permit and I qualified for SMP.  I was in the same situation you are in, had started a new job and got preg. 2 weeks later.  Due to my previous employment hours I qualified for SMP.  I'm not sure about MA though. 

i have worked in the uk full-time, steadily (albeit at different jobs) since august 2006. hopefully that'll count or something!
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab