Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned  (Read 49099 times)

• Liked: 4
Re: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
in the course of investigating my own screwed-up situation, i've found a few links that may be of some use to someone else:

http://parentsatwork.org.uk/asp/family_zone/factsheets/pdfs/Atypical.pdf

http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/employment-legislation/employment-guidance/page34236.html#Whatarethestatutorymaternityleaveandpayentitlementsandresponsibilities

Niku (and others) bless you all as a source of unending information I'm looking for!!! :)  I really appreciate all your help as I'm in an atypical situation myself.

by the way, your posts get redirected.  Here's the new link for the atypical workers and maternity rights sheet:
http://parentsatwork.org.uk/asp/family_zone/factsheets/pdfs/Atypical.pdf

This information has really helped me.  I already knew that I qualify for maternity benefits, even if I'm on FLR, but I've been quite worried b/c of my job situation.  I have struggled with PCOS and insulin resistance, which makes conceiving harder--that combined with being a little older leaves me feeling that I just can't wait any longer to try for a baby.  DH and I have been trying for a few months now.

My biggest worry has been the fact that I am waiting to hear if the Welsh Assembly will continue to fund my post.  Every indication has been positive thus far, but as I reach the one month mark before the financial year ends, I'm starting to get nervous.  If I lose this post, I lose really great maternity benefits beyond SMP that I've built up.  I worried that I wouldn't even qualify for SMP or anything.  I see now that I might still be eligible for SMP--depending on timing--if I get a job early on.  The biggest relief is that even if worst case scenario happens and I don't get another job, I'll still be able to qualify for some Maternity Allowance through my self-employment (I own a very small business doing a bit of counselling in my free time).  I'm relieved to know I won't be out in the dark if I get pregnant.

Really I'm just so fed up with the Assembly right now.  They keep holding up my program to the public as a model of good practice that other services should be following and saying how ideal we are. My manager was awarded the Welsh Woman of the Year award for things like creating our program, but here I am two weeks before she has to give me notice still waiting with baited breath to see if they will continue to fund me.  It's a bit ridiculous.  They tell us that they want us to continue and we should get our funding, but if they don't get off their duffs and put it on paper, I lose my job and all my benefits.  I just know some bureaucrat is holding up the process not realizing it's people's lives he's playing with while he procrastinates his paperwork.

Does anyone know how long of a gap you can have in employment with the same employer and still get SMP?  I can totally see them choosing to fund us but taking enough time that I have several weeks to a month without pay.  I'll be ticked if I keep my job and then have the local authority say I haven't worked for them long enough to claim maternity benefits through them.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »
We had a letter of confirmation that they received the application but that's it. That came about a week after we'd sent it. We're heading into week 3 as well and starting to get a bit worried because my paying jobs run out shortly.

That's got me worried.  I know that someone received it on the 7th of Feb thanks to my sending it recorded, but I haven't had any confirmation from them that it's been received. 
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »
Hi Cadenza - I'm not sure what the requirements would be for the extra maternity benefit that your employer offers, but to qualify for SMP you have to have worked for your employer continuously for 26 weeks before you hit 15 weeks before your due date.

I'm in an atypical situation as well. I've worked for my employer for over a year and my contract ends on 31st March. My baby is due 1st July so I thought I was screwed, but 15 weeks before my due date turns out to be 16th March so they are still required to pay me SMP. I'm really worried about the possibility of not having a job for the next few months, but at least I'll get SMP.

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »
Got a number for MA and got through this afternoon.  They've got a big backlog and are just starting to look at ones from beginning of Feb now.  She checked that they received my application and said they should be looking at it next week. 

Phew! That's a load off my mind!
Maroon Passport Club!

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »
Thanks for that! We were looking for my letter of receipt today and couldn't lay our hands on it to get a phone number off it. We can't recall which day we sent it now but let's hope they get caught up quickly!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
I'd posted mine on Feb 1st but it took longer to get to them because it got redirected.  She showed it as received on the 5th.  I can get the number for you if you want, just let me know.
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »
Got my Maternity Allowance letter in today's post! Yay!  I'll be getting £96 a week once I send back the bit letting them know I'm done working!

The address on the freepost envelope to send it in is:
Longton SSO
St Stephen's Street
Birmingham B99 1BR

was that where they had you send your application NikU2?
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:37 PM »
Sheesh, I knew the trustees where I work were useless but I didn't think they were THIS useless.

I got a SMP1 form today  ::)

I'd already gotten one filled out by another trustee back in late January, sent it off and already been approved for Maternity Allowance!  I swear these four don't tell each other anything!
Maroon Passport Club!

• taking over birmingham one by one...
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »
Got my Maternity Allowance letter in today's post! Yay!  I'll be getting £96 a week once I send back the bit letting them know I'm done working!

The address on the freepost envelope to send it in is:
Longton SSO
St Stephen's Street
Birmingham B99 1BR

was that where they had you send your application NikU2?

yep, that's the same address i was given when i rang them up.
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »
No idea why they told me the other address then  ::)

Oh well at least the form saying when to start will go to the right place!

Just two more days of work!!! Wheeeee!!!!!
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
So much good info here! DH and I are just considering the possibility of a family, but with the mess we went through to get our visa, we knew this wouldn't be cut and dry either. UKY comes through yet again!

Our situation is slightly different, yet again, and I couldn't find anything in the literature posted - so I'm hoping you can help.

I have finally been able to get my foot in the door of an organization that I've been keen to get a job in for a VERY long time. I've dropped all other commitments and taken a major decrease in both hours and pay in order to (hopefully) work my way up with this company. That being the case, I'm on minimum wage and only working 12 hours a week at the moment. There isn't much of a chance that this will change in the next 6 months which would mean that although I'd have the 'time' in to qualify for SMP I wouldn't be contributing to NI as my pay isn't high enough. I'm on FLR and will be until Nov. 2009. Would the non-contribution to NI disqualify me from receiving SMP? If so, since I would have been with the company for more than 6 months, would I then be eligible for MA?

I know it's a bit odd, but any help is appreciated!

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2008, 08:30:31 PM »
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/statutory_maternity_pay.asp

It says here if you earn £87 per week before tax you qualify for smp.

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2008, 09:13:30 PM »
At the risk of sounding dense, can I please clarify?
DH and I are planning to start trying for a baby in the next month or 2.  Thing is I am desperate to find a new job as I am really unhappy in mine.  So, if I am to find a new job and then get pregnant a month later, I should still qualify for the 6 weeks at 90% of my weekly pay and then 39 weeks at the standard rate of SMP. I am currently on a spouse visa which expires in December 2008 so will have my ILR (knock on wood) by the time the baby would be born.

Thanks! And sorry if it's right in front of my face :-[

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2008, 08:18:15 AM »
At the risk of sounding dense, can I please clarify?
DH and I are planning to start trying for a baby in the next month or 2.  Thing is I am desperate to find a new job as I am really unhappy in mine.  So, if I am to find a new job and then get pregnant a month later, I should still qualify for the 6 weeks at 90% of my weekly pay and then 39 weeks at the standard rate of SMP. I am currently on a spouse visa which expires in December 2008 so will have my ILR (knock on wood) by the time the baby would be born.

Thanks! And sorry if it's right in front of my face :-[

As of the 15th week before your due date you must have been employed by the current employer of a minimum of 26 weeks.  You don't need ILR to get SMP.  But to answer your specific question, if you get pregnant a month into your new job, by the time you complete your 26 weeks employment you would be roughly 22 weeks pregnant which wouldp ut you inside the qualifyingperiod so yes you would be OK as I understand it.

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2008, 02:16:23 PM »
So much good info here! DH and I are just considering the possibility of a family, but with the mess we went through to get our visa, we knew this wouldn't be cut and dry either. UKY comes through yet again!

Our situation is slightly different, yet again, and I couldn't find anything in the literature posted - so I'm hoping you can help.

I have finally been able to get my foot in the door of an organization that I've been keen to get a job in for a VERY long time. I've dropped all other commitments and taken a major decrease in both hours and pay in order to (hopefully) work my way up with this company. That being the case, I'm on minimum wage and only working 12 hours a week at the moment. There isn't much of a chance that this will change in the next 6 months which would mean that although I'd have the 'time' in to qualify for SMP I wouldn't be contributing to NI as my pay isn't high enough. I'm on FLR and will be until Nov. 2009. Would the non-contribution to NI disqualify me from receiving SMP? If so, since I would have been with the company for more than 6 months, would I then be eligible for MA?

I know it's a bit odd, but any help is appreciated!

I know from my situation the MA amount isn't necessarily based on what you're earning when you apply but on your weekly earnings during a certain timeframe.  I assume the SMP is the same.  So depending on when your dates fall the previously higher earnings might be usable.
Maroon Passport Club!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab