Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Favourite Brit Speak?  (Read 8549 times)

Re: Favourite Brit Speak?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2003, 12:45:07 AM »

A twiglet is not a pretzel.  It's a marmite flavoured snack that is very twig-like in appearance.  It's possibly what evil might taste like.  

It's the snack of the devil.

I have tasted evil and marmite is much nastier!! But it looks just as bad!

• For where trees live, magic thrives...
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2003, 01:22:53 AM »
"When l was living in Scotland a lot of women would say "How ya doing, hen?"

How about  "Di ye ken?"  Hear this in Perth, Scotland a lot. Ken= understand

:D

When I first got to Scotland, the first slang I heard was "Lassie"...  From the lovely woman who ran the department's library.  She always greeted me with "How's you, lass?"  Made me feel warm and welcome... unlike the rest of the cold fish who worked there....

I heard "di ye ken" waaaaay too often...  "Bairn" was still quite popular too.  But I missed a great deal of Scottish slang, mainly because I only ever heard it in the pub and couldn't hear over the karayoke!  (I drove one guy away once... he said something densely Scottish, and instead of asking him to repeat himself, I said - cheekily, I thought - "Sorry. No habla Scottish."  He walked off in a huff... Ah well!

Okay - stopping before I start babbling!

Morgana
"Ha HA!" cried she, as she waved her wooden leg.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2003, 11:52:44 AM »
"Sorry. No habla Scottish."  

I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2003, 11:29:30 AM »
WAN*ER is always a good one.  Just rolls off the tongue and conveys so much.  Isn't it wonderful how most peoples favorite words are swear words.  Used to get a lot of criticism for swearing.  Nickname used to be GI MoFo.  As soon as you start swearing in Brit speak they accept you more.....haha

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2003, 09:48:37 PM »
My oldest daughter (30) still answers questions in the same way.....Q: Are ya gonna be home later?  
         A: How?

Oh Dear ???

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2003, 11:48:56 PM »
Has no one mentioned "tosser"?!  One of the all-time greats.  I agree with whoever said - rightly - that adding "yeah" to the end of every sentence is rather annoying, however.
My votes for best:
Shattered
Slapper
Proper ("I was PROPERLY pissed last night..")
Stonking
Shag

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2003, 02:50:00 AM »
My MIL and Brit best friend have the same, wonderfully sweet response to something cute or sweet or touching:

"Oh, bless!"

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2003, 04:26:21 AM »
My MIL and Brit best friend have the same, wonderfully sweet response to something cute or sweet or touching:

"Oh, bless!"

Haha.. yes.  At first I thought it was more a phrase used by people of a certain, older, generation.  Have since heard it used quite often by much younger people.  It's very quaint. :)

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2003, 03:25:38 PM »
Oh yes Tosser,thats a great one too,and Bless  :D Iam always saying to someone when they are talking about someone else,aww bless her/him etc...  I also think that is so sweet.I remember the first time one of my British friends said it to me ;D

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2003, 07:03:41 PM »
Has anyone mentioned "sodding" yet?  :D
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2003, 07:07:33 PM »
I love 'charming'-said when someone has done something not particularly charming-such an effective put-down.

Also love 'nicked' and 'pinched' and 'sorted'.

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2003, 03:16:26 AM »

A twiglet is not a pretzel.  It's a marmite flavoured snack that is very twig-like in appearance.  It's possibly what evil might taste like.  

It's the snack of the devil.  

I have tasted evil and marmite is much nastier!! But it looks just as bad!

Marmite: you either love it or hate it.  Loyal, loving relationships have been detroyed by it.  Whole families have been torn asunder by it.  It may have caused Britain to have lost her Empire.

Interestingly, Aussies have a similar salty yeasty connoction called Vegemite, and incredibly they yearn for this stuff when they are away from their own strange kangaroo-heavy continent. As well as tasting like Marmite (i.e., much as I imagine ancient Egyptian embalming pitch would taste like if sampled today), it has a slight but menacing odour of vomit (or as Aussies would undoubtedly call it - "chunder"!).  A double-whammy indeed!

I have been told by Marmite experts that the trick is to spread it very, very thinly.  My own opinion is that a single molecule of it might be rather too much ...

I suspect my own loving wife may be a secret Marmite user.  I'm a worried man, a deeply, deeply worried man.
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Liked: 2
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2003, 01:43:30 PM »
This should probably be over in food talk but anyway it's true Marmite is wonderful if used sparingly ... but spread on thick it's foul. It's fantastic in soups and stocks (especially if you're a vegetarian like me) and have you tried Walker's Marmite crisps?? Divine!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2003, 02:24:08 PM »
getting back on topic .... who says "haitch?" and who says "aitch" (for the letter H)? I have always said "aitch" myself but have recently been accused of being unBritish for this and my poor dear California boy is being blamed as a bad linguistic influence (tongue in cheek I hasten to add ..not seriously) .. anyway just interested to know what everyone else says ... to be honest "haitch" drives me mad!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 02:26:07 PM by Britwife »

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2003, 04:08:11 PM »
Can someone also tell me why Z is said as zed?  I've never understood why.  When its used in a word you don't say zed then the word.  I had to ask.

P.S. as I'm American I've only said aitch.  Never ever haitch.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 04:08:42 PM by Kizmet122800 »
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab