Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Declaring Items At Customs  (Read 1312 times)

• Liked: 0
Declaring Items At Customs
« on: November 10, 2003, 11:28:42 PM »
I've never declared anything when i was traveling back and forth from the US to the UK.  I never felt that i had anything worth declaring.  I would bring a few bottles of beer back....a couple cans of beans...that was it really.
Now I've lived over here for a year and a half and am going back to the US for the first time since moving here....I'll have quite a few things that i want to take back to my family in the US as gifts....cuz we're mixing thanksgiving a christmas together this year.
I'm wondering what peoples experiences have been like when going back to the US for a visit.
I'm figuring that i am probably supossed to declare these things....but then again i'm not an US resident at the moment so do i have to declare these things?
Will they make me pay some sort of duty?
It's quite confusing to me....All i want to do is take some gifts back to my family without any hassles.
I'm not bringing in anything that would be a problem.....like fresh fruit or vegetables...plants or animals....any food products that i bring will be processed.

And what about vice versa?
When i return i plan on bringing back some food products and other items....has anyone ever had a problem?

I'm just trying to get all prepared cuz i'm jetting off 2 weeks from today! ;D  
I just can't wait!!!
-bob

Re: Declaring Items At Customs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 12:03:36 AM »
Bob...heres a link that should supply you with answers to your questions:
http://cruises.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/usdatips.html

As far as declaring goods ( not food products which are discussed in the above link) I believe youre entitled to bring in $400 worth of gifts duty free to the U.S. Do they rigorously check this? Probably not or at least they never have with me in over 30 years of going back and forth. My advice is to play it straight, check #11 on the customs form and where they ask you to sub-total the amount of your gifts just keep it under the permitted $400 and you'll probably be fine. As far as food products go, youre best to be honest on that matter if its a meat product because of stringent regulations on hoof and mouth disease. Canned goods?....I would,nt bother even mentioning it.

Here's another link thats worth checking:
http://www.setforlifeincome.com/freereport-305.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 12:22:42 AM by CeltictotheCore »

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 08:56:09 AM »
Like Celtic, I've never had a problem.  I've taken things back to the US and always declared them.  Most the time the custom guy just looks at the list gives a "Puh!" and waves us through like it was a waste of his time.  Of course that's in New York, mind you. ;)  

Best of luck!

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 11:04:13 AM »
This is just a general comment about going through customs/declaring things: always be honest.

When I went through passport check in England for the first time, I was coming over to look at grad schools. But my sister had told me not to tell anyone, because they wouldn't like it (I don't know why she thinks this, but that's another story). So when I went up to customs they, I am sure of it, saw fear in my eyes and interrogated me to no end.

Now, if I have it in my bags and it can be searched and found, I declare it. I am not over-zealous, I don't list every stick of gum, but as Elle said, most customs officers just want to make sure you don't have major goods (diamonds) and/or dangerous foodstuffs
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 04:10:26 PM »
I'm visiting at the end of the year.  I will have a few small items as gifts.  No problem.  But I am also bringing in a few suits that I bought for Chris.  They are technically not a gift as he's paying me for them at his end.  Would I have to declare those?  I know that probably sounds anal.  But I don't want anyone to think I'm lying.  I also don't want to be sent home.  Did anyone read Leland's full story?  I know he lied but even after all the explanations - they sent him home.  This makes me nervous.  Anyway if I'm being overly cautious please tell me.  ;)
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 04:53:13 PM »
Nah Kiz i would'nt worry about anything. I don't know what happened to Leland but in all this time the only people I've ever seen get turned away and sent home are people that make it quite evident that theyre attempting to enter for immigration reasons without the proper paperwork and those with no money or access to funds that just wanna go there and kick around for six months. 99% of people coming from the States don't even raise an eyebrow.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 07:29:24 PM »
Thanks Celtic!  I really wasn't hung up on sneaking in the suits lol  But I can imagine being grilled and breaking down only to confess to bring in suits.  I'd be all red faced and crying and they'd burst out laughing.  All that mean and fierceness for a few suits.  Ooooo the humiliation! lol  Thanks for your opinion.   It's valued-always.

Love your quote too.  Very profound.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

Sponsored Links