Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Letting go  (Read 4446 times)

Letting go
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »
Well my grandmother made it through her 90th birthday but the end is very near now. She is in a nearly comatose state and now is refusing food and drink. Her body is shutting down and she is in the care of a Hospice nurse. For some reason she is still hanging on. I dont know if she is afraid of death or if she has some sort of unfinished business. I feel she may feel she has to hold on for the family. I feel so badly I cant be there to hold her hand and tell her its ok to let go. I have come to terms with her death as she has been dead for a few weeks. She is merely existing now.  This is horrible for my mother and sister who are there with her everyday.  :\\\'(

Re: Letting go
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:26:57 AM »
Hugs, Pebbles. 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »
So sorry to hear this, Pebbles.

I don't want to get too morbid, but the human body does have an incredible ability to "hold on" even after food and water are no longer being taken. I went through this with my mother and know how horrific it all is. I really feel for your mom & sister.

Hang in there!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 11:08:14 AM »
Hugs Pebs!
All my love!!

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 11:27:25 AM »
Hugs Pebbles. :-*

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:07:47 PM »
~hugs Ricki~  I can relate, as we went through this with my grandmother over 12 years ago. :\\\'(  I felt, in a lot of ways, I had already let go of her - as my grandmother - years before.  She had the cursed Altzheimer's...it truly is "The Long Goodbye".  So, her as the wonderful, amazingly talented and intelligent woman I had known was gone long before she stopped eating and drinking.  There at the very end she had a couple of lucid moments - as if she "came to" to say her own goodbye.

I hope your own sweet grandmother's leaving this plane will be peaceful. ~more hugs~
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 12:12:57 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear this.  Hugs to you.
Bored

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 12:15:25 PM »
Thinking about you and sending lots of hugs..

xx

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »
So sorry to hear this, Pebbles.

I don't want to get too morbid, but the human body does have an incredible ability to "hold on" even after food and water are no longer being taken. I went through this with my mother and know how horrific it all is. I really feel for your mom & sister.

Hang in there!
Thanks H.
Thing is I know her body IS holding on. Im not sure how. She weighs nothing. So frail and sick. It's sad to say but it will be a blessing in disguise when she goes. All she is doing right now is sleeping. The hospice nurse said their hearing is the last thing to go so my mother is talking to her but getting no response. It breaks my heart as she was the matriarch of the family ever since I can remember.  :\\\'(

Thanks for everyones replies xxx

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
Awww Ricki! I am just seeing this thread. I have been praying for your gram for awhile now, and I hope that whenever she decides to go, it is peaceful. I am proud of you for recognizing that it is her time and it must be hard for you to help comfort your family from so far away. Hugs to you!  [smiley=hug.gif]
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 03:53:27 PM »
Ricki, pm if you want to talk.  So sorry that you are going through this.  I know it has been going on for a while. 

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 04:28:45 PM »
Hugs Ricki.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 04:31:24 PM »
Huge hugs, Ricki.  I went through something similar with my grandmother a few years ago, and I know how hard it is to be so far away.  I hope she finds the strength to let go soon. [smiley=hug.gif]

• azroomie & james
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 04:50:32 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you.. ((hugs))
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Then things got just plain Silly!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 05:12:52 PM »
I'm so sorry Ricki! I don't know what to say other than you and your family are in my thoughts. You are a wonderful woman and friend, and I hate to think of you going through hard times! Hugs to you and remember if you ever need to vent I'm here! Heaven knows you have helped me get through so many trying times!  [smiley=hug.gif] [smiley=iloveyou.gif] [smiley=hug.gif]
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

Sponsored Links