Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Diet medicines    (Read 2575 times)

• Liked: 0
Diet medicines  
« on: August 21, 2002, 01:53:19 PM »
I want to loss some weight and my GP told me to use alternative medicines from a health food store. Has any one tried anything and if so did it work?

• Liked: 1
Re: Diet medicines  
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 02:02:31 PM »
I asked the same thing from my GP and got told the same as you. I haven't looked yet though.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 06:55:38 PM »
Hope this might help..took a herbology workshop, and basically there are some herbs that can help (hence, herbal pills or medicine) b/c they work as diaretics.  Basically, your body doesn't hold on to the food as much as it does normally.  (trying to put it nicely :) )

Of course, though, I can't remember their specific names..but if you go in somewhere like Holland and Barrett, they should be able to give you some suggestions.  

Hope that helps!
~Christa

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2002, 10:01:19 PM »
Don't know if they sell "Metabolife" over in the UK (I'll have to make sure someone sends it to me on a regular basis after I've moved over!) but I use it here in the US and it really helped me lose weight and keep it off.  It didn't work all by itself...I also followed Weight Watchers until I lost my weight and run/workout a lot to stay in shape and keep the weight off BUT it would have been more difficult to lose they weight and keep it off without it.  There has been some negative press about it over here but I haven't had a bad experience with it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2002, 10:02:11 PM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Moving to England in September
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 12:59:28 AM »
All these herbal things works no better than placebos. Then again the capacity of the mind to fool itself and the body are limitless.

The dieting formula is age old. Eat less calories and exercise vigorously 4-5 times a week. Don't forget weights to build muscle. The more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn. Get thin quick schemes are too good to be true.

Of course being serious helps a lot. I hadn't been serious about weight loss until February 20th of this year. From then until now I've lost 64 pounds.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 11:56:18 AM »
All these herbal things works no better than placebos. Then again the capacity of the mind to fool itself and the body are limitless.

Well now, do you just mean diet pills specifically  or all herbal/homeopathic remedies in general.  I know nothing about diet pills, but I do think some herbal remedies are very effective.  I was a sudafed addict for 13 years before I found a natural remedy that acually works.  St. John's Wort also works for me, and I'd like to go on record saying that Arnica(for bruises) is the miracle drug.  And I can testify that it can't possibly be placebo effect because I gave it to my cat after his car accident/hip replacement and everyone (vet included) was amazed at his recovery.  
:)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 08:38:59 AM »
Nick, I agree that to lose weight you have to take in less calories then you burn (which is why I watch what I eat and run and workout) but when I take Metabolife (which is a combination of several different herbs), my appetite is definately reduced.  Herbs can have a physiological effect on your metabolism (even the blinkered AMA admits that) and can assist in controlling appetite but you do have to use them in addition to lowered calories and physical fitness activities. This substance is absolutely not a placebo, at least in my experience.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 08:42:31 AM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab