Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NEW YORK NEW YORK!!  (Read 2611 times)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
NEW YORK NEW YORK!!
« on: November 16, 2003, 09:29:53 PM »
Any recommendations on  places to visit for a first time visitor??also any romantic ideas..we are toying with the idea of celebrating our first anniversary in New York especially since the flites are cheaper....
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: NEW YORK NEW YORK!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 10:51:49 PM »
I've always LOVED central park. You could spend a whole day there quite easily, and there are lods of places to explore. Love it there. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 08:22:02 AM »
Not sure what kind of activities you're into.  When we went this past April it was to see my girls, so it was more a trip geared towards them.  I agree Central Park is nice.  There's a nice restaurant there in the park as well...Tavern on the Green I believe?  Might be a cool place for a romantic dinner.

Of course there's always the Empire State Building ala An Affair to Remember.  Times Square is an endless source of amusement and hustle and bustle.  

There are cruises that go around the harbour or around Manhatten in whole if you're into that idea.  Some of them offer dinner cruises.  I reckon that would be beautiful at night.  

I'm sure there's tons of sites out there that could make better suggestions that me!

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 02:22:07 PM »
When are you planning on going?  
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 11:06:26 AM »
Yeeeeeeeeahhhhhhh! a new york topic!
I'll be heading home for Christmas!

a boat ride to the statue of liberty, chelsea piers...an indoor skating rink and bowling, as well as a few good restaurants, outdoor skating at central park...lots to do there, going to the top of the empire state building; shopping on 34th street, theatre on Broadway... Be sure to buy New York Time Out...mentions everything that will be going on during the week, pubs, restaurants, gigs anything you wish for! visit the soho area (where i was brought up) lots of great cafes and shops, I'm sure there are plenty of sites you can search through on the internet as well!  ooooh just so excited about it all can't wait to head home for a while (though i do know that this is my new home...can't help to miss the vibe in NYC!)

there's also outdoor antique markets around 23rd street (depending on weather) but plenty of indoor ones as well, lots of museums to go to...and if you get the chance head into parkslopes in Brooklyn...nice areas to visit there

Hope that helps!  Need any more suggestions just let me know.  *sigh* how i miss it

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 03:16:17 PM »
 I have a question about NYC.We will be flying out of there,on our flight over,and will have a couple days hopefully to sight see. :)

My question is does anyone know about  Mario Batali's restaurants there in NYC???I know that they are located in Manhattan,and I love Italian food,and would like to try his version of it.I watch way too much Food Network ;D

If not could anyone one recommend any other Italian restaurants??Something not too expensive though(like required suit,and tie sort of thing),just authentic.

Ta In Advance
                            Rhia

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 03:34:05 PM »
Can't say I know of any particular favourite Italian restaurant but you could go to Little Italy, loads of Italian rests. there and of course, all over Manhattan.  Some fabulous restaurants in Soho area and you can dress casually!  If you're looking for Greek, I recommend going to Astoria Queens, inexpensive and good restaurants on Broadway stop.  Not the same feel as Manhattan, though!  If you like Pizza, try John's Pizzeria and right across is Rocco's pastry shop...mmmm yummy... village area.  (Soho)   *sigh*

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 04:13:02 PM »
 Ta very much Pixie.Littlle Italy,duh I should have thought of that too,LOL.

Yeppers I love pizza,so I know I will be eating at more then one kind of Italian eatery ;)

I have never had Greek per say but I have heard that it is some what like Italian

I just love to try foods from a different country,and not something like Pizza Hut or a french sub from Arbys either,when I want something authentic :P

Rocco's pastry shop,that does sound very yummy,but I can see that I will have to be taking lots of walkies after that!LOL

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 12:15:02 PM »
Rhia, when will you be in New York? Think you can pick me up a few pastries and a nice cup of cappachino (sp???)

Also, South Street Seaport is a wonderful place to visit! A few good Italian rests and beautiful view of Brooklyn Bridge.  

Never had Greek??? Girl, you have to go to Uncle George's in Astoria. It';s a bit crowded, you're kind of "on top of each other" (which for some could be exciting lol) and food is inexpensive and good.  Great Mexican restaurants in the area as well.  But stay in Manhattan for Italian.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2003, 01:30:37 PM »
I think Domenics in the Bronx on Arthur Ave has the best Italian food... If you're going around Christmas time and looking for something different to do you could go up to the Bronx Zoo they do lights every year and it's fantastic. And then you could head to Domenics..

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2003, 02:15:11 PM »
Oh yes Dominick's but it's not like it used to be back in the 90's.  Arthur Ave has changed quite a bit.  Not as Italian as it once used to be.  I remember taking my husband there for one of our first dates!  He loved it and when asked for a menu the waiters just giggled!  Of course there are no menus there.  It's basically what they make for the day.  You sit next to people you don't know.  It's a lot of fun.  No credit cards either only cash!  Definitely don't go there if you're expecting to be waited on hand and foot.  You go there for the food..

Little Italy downtown is also a cool place to go for great, inexpensive Italian food.  Or you can go to Belini's on 52nd  between 2nd and 3rd Avenue, Midtown.  Talk about Italian food OH MY GOD!  I think I died and gone to heaven.  Quite expensive but so worth it...  That use to be a one of my favorite restaurants to go to when I worked on 3rd Avenue..   Now I'm craving some Italian food!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 02:19:28 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 02:54:36 PM »
 LOL Pixie,we will be in NYC in May,and ta for the info on Uncle George's ;D Maybe we will get to go there too.

Yes MEFarrelly,I have always wanted to go to NYC during Christmas ,as it looks so lovely there during that time of year.

Does anyone remember the scene in "The Godfather" when Michael and his gf was window shoping in the city ???Al Pacino and Italian food,yummmy(drooling like Homer,now,LOL ;D )

Ta  NYState_of_Mind,I think that I will try Little Italy for sure. I just need to write these places down,or I will forget thats for sure!

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2003, 05:51:14 PM »
Oh Yum!!! Belini's God I miss Italian food so much!!!  

Oh well!! I will be home in January and will get my fill!

Along with a visit to Sarge's on 3rd Ave..  

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 07:06:37 PM »
I always have a few NYC things to do...
Picnic in Central Park....even if it's chilly.

I love the Zagat guides for food.

Head to Upper West Side...(near 80th) ...H&H BAgels and then to Zabars for some smoked Salmon and cream cheese or what ever goodies float your boat.  

Touristy but good is Katz's Deli.  One sandwhich feeds two...just don't go Meg Ryan and scream at the top of your lungs. ;)

Ditto on the Queen's area...love the Greek food there.  

I am a sucker for NY style Pizza.

Do all the crazy touristy things if you want.  Those are pretty well known.  Empire State is a pain in the butt to have to wait for, but it is worth it.  

If you take the 1/9 (double check this) train up going north to the end there is a nice little park called the Cloisters.  Very nice and they have managed to bring over almost an entire Church from Spain.  It's a nice getaway from the manic city if you like.  

As for accomodations we always do an unhosted B&B.  Abode Bed and Breakfast and City Lights both can book for you (search yahoo), but do it ASAP. VERY ROMANTIC! They have cheaper ones and more expensive ones let them know your budget.  It's nice because you get a little kitchen and it's one way to save some money.  The  Suites that some hotels have are not bad either.  Check out places like hotels.com for them.

um... we also like to do the comedy clubs sometimes and God...the whole area is just great.  

I have always had a connection to New York for some strange reason... and my husband even did the first part of his proposal to me on the top of the Empire State (long story as to why there are two parts) so NY is even more special now.  

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 07:19:36 PM »

Ta Ta Ta for all the information,cant wait! :D

The last time we flew over it was from Chicago,and that was very exciting for 2 KY girls (me and daughter) ;)

Sponsored Links