Topic: Enchiwabas  (Read 1732 times)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
Enchiwabas
« on: August 21, 2002, 06:15:26 PM »
Okies, recipe from me now.  Yes I know they aren't spelled that way...but this recipe is.  It's a family recipe, just not MY family's recipe lol.  We got it off a friend of my sister...and she made it up while pregnant.  It does taste really really good tho!

Take 2-3 (or more depending on how much chicken you want...or you could cheat and get a bag of precooked chicken...tried this last night and it works perfectly well...not to mention cuts down on prep time) and fry them up with a lil margarine/butter.  Cool and cut into chunks (size up to you).

Mix half a jar (I buy the jars at Tescos, if you can find the cans more power to ya...just use two cans) Ol' El Paso Enchilada mix with a can of (again Tesco's) Chicken/mushroom (either or my personal fav, the combo) and a handful or so of shredded chedder cheese (I use loads hehe).  Mix in the chicken chunks.  

Place a couple large spoonfuls into Tortilla shell, roll and place in deep baking pan (lasagna pans work perfectly), continue until you've made enough.  

Mix second half of enchilada sauce and second can of soup together, pour over enchiladas.  Sprinkle chedder cheese over.

Put in oven (I used Gas mark 4, works well enough) and cook them till they're dead (as my sis put it)....or around 30 min or so.  I tried waiting until the cheese browned lightly...but it didn't want to brown.  Tasted fine non-theless.

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• En Vino Veritas
Re: Enchiwabas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 06:21:47 PM »
Enchiwabas ??

Where !!!!!

Don't tease me Wench, I'm a woman on the edge !!!! [smiley=confused.gif]

(I'd trade my 200+ dvd collection for proper carne asada and sweet corn tomalito right now ....)
You're a daisy if you do........

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 06:32:33 PM »
Hey lady, I'm over here too!  ;)  Head on down London way someday and I'll make the 'wabas if you make the margarita's.  ;)
wench
Like I said, all ingrediants available at Tesco's
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2002, 07:06:39 PM »
All ingredients at Safeway, too! Even in the wilds of Essex, no less! ;)  I usually substitute the chicken for lean minced beef, or do half beef and half veggies (ie. red and yellow peppers, pinto beans if I'm feelin' frisky).  And I also do it just with the enchilada sauce, which from the seal of approval I've gotten from Russ means they *must* be yummy. *heh*  I may have to try the mushroom soup action at some point, though...never would've thought of that combo - thanks Wench, and your sister's pregnant friend!

Speaking of...my dad and his fiance sent a package for us -so sweet! - and got it today.  I *love* my daddy! All this yummy mexican food, along with some chutneys for Russ's special spot...yayayayayay!!!   ;D

~Christa

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2002, 07:09:55 PM »
Ohh, and forgot this - now if only Taco Bell would open here again...from what Russ said, the reaction most Brits had to it, though, was "Too spicy, and *yugh*!"   :o

Some day, I pray to the Taco Bell Heaven God, they'll open another one.  Maybe if we petition them?  (I can dream at least, right? ::) )

~Christa
I'm a groupie now - woohoo! ;)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 01:19:25 PM »
Ohhh cant wait to try that..i luv wabas and have not been able to find ones in restaurants here that i liked..ahhh....have tried the elpaso at home mix and that wasnt too bad...thnx :D..miss mexican food period...
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 01:21:50 PM »
Chicken/mushroom what???soup....????hmmm :o
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2002, 01:44:38 PM »
Hey Wench thanks alot here girl !  ;)
I swear to you I dreamed about shredded chicken and cheese enchilladas last night, with black beans and salsa and sour cream. I dreamed I found them next to the fish and chips place up the street. It was the little hole in the wall, don't even try to order in english, place I used to lunch at in Cali .. called El Gallo.
This 3 mos depression thing is just starting to get wierd now. :-[
You're a daisy if you do........

Sponsored Links