Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.  (Read 43745 times)

• Liked: 0
Having found this forum, i realize that the LDR between Americans and Brits seems very common and most of the people on here have gotten married or are going to.

I was just wondering what this attraction is between us ? The cute accent/different culture thing must wear off after a few years ??

Personally for me, Brit girls just dont hit the same buttons as Americans and I am quite sure I wouldnt have found the qualities/personality/attraction of my American wife to be in a British girl.

What was it/is it for you that makes us go through this initial hardship/hell of a LDR ? Do you think its bc maybe we all want something we cant have ?

What is it like when your finally together ?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:20:02 PM by geedouble »

• Liked: 8
Re: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 03:20:41 PM »
I can safely say that I would've loved my husband had he been from the US (or any other country for that matter).  I fell in love with him, not his nationality.

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 05:35:27 PM »
hmm...I didn't go specifically fishing for a brit I just happend to be living and working in Britain and oddly enough I ended up dating a brit..funny that huh?
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »

Direct quote from Richard, "I love you even though you're from the States."

Awww - and who says romance is dead?
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »
When I first met my husband he was SO different from any one I'd ever met. :)   He wore brown lace up shoes and wool jumpers and had opinions on things and had read books and listened to music and smoked roll-ups and took me on dates to the Art Cinema.  And of course there was his lovely accent.  ;)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 05:42:41 PM »
I don't think there's necessarily any special connection between Brits and Americans. It's just that UKY is a site for Americans living in the UK -- and many of us are here for the simple reason that we're married to (or dating) Brits. If you found a site for Swedish people living in New Zealand, you'd probably conclude that there's a connection between Swedes and Kiwis!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »

Direct quote from Richard, "I love you even though you're from the States."

Awww - and who says romance is dead?

ditto for Phil

but change the phrase "the states" to "a capitalistic pig state"

my heart a flutter

crusty hippy!
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Then things got just plain Silly!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 05:54:56 PM »
I can't compare my englishman to any other man I've known. I didn't set out looking for anyone, and certainly not someone so far away. I never heard his accent when I knew I was falling for him, so it wasn't that. So I don't think any of your questions apply to me. I fell for the man, not the country and the LDR part, well that's how things are right now.
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 06:05:53 PM »
Well my husband does have a lovely deep sexy So Cal voice but that isn't what attracted me, as we met online and only spoke on the phone after a month of emailing by which time we were both hooked.  It was just a total accident except I think maybe he doesn't find me as much of a "handful" as English guys seem to.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
I came over here to work and met my British guy as a result. I always saw myself married to a Brit and living in England, though...maybe I was British in a past life. LOL Just kidding.

I still think the accent is cute after four years, and I always will. I just love my husband, this country and our life here. No explanation needed.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 06:22:46 PM »
2 cents-1p

Since there are few ways to gain entry to the UK, and marriage can be the most complicated, there are many on the board looking  for help. Same as on a bike or auto board - you would think they were all nothing but trouble, because most of the posters are looking for help with their problems.  Those with no difficulty spend their spare time somewhere else.

There are many Anglophiles in the States.  Many who trace their ancestry there feel an affinity for the tiny island nation.  Same for many WWII buffs.

Is it that different from moving from say, rural Bama or N. Dakota to someplace like LA? Or the other way 'round?

There is an air of adventure about the whole LDR-foreign land experience.  Even the average working guy or gal would like to have something interesting about their lives.
 "Oh yea, your Great-grandpa, well yea, well, he worked worked down at the plant there for forty-five years, then he had a heart attack and, well, he died."
 -Yawn-  
"But did you know your Great-grandma was from England? And that Great-grandpa lived there for a few years?"
REALLY? How cool!
It's amazing that, in this age of relatively cheap air travel, most  Americans are still impressed if you have been over the pond.

Space may be the final frontier, but since that is not yet an option for most of us yet, we have to explore what we left behind. Hey, after a couple hundred years, it's all new to us! 8)

Those who have an Ex from hell may be glad to get as far away as possible. (Can we live on the eastern side of England, honey?)

When you are finally together, your world is a lot bigger.

And the accent thing seems to stick around.  Once in awhile, you'll hear another American colloquialism that is hilarious in the Brit accent.  Since we often think of Brits as being rather proper (too many PBS costome dramas), slang takes on a new dimension.  Think Monty Python, or Miss Hathaway trying to fit in..  It goes both ways.  They have a good laugh at us, as well.

I like American girls, too.  But I could probably get a group of a 100 Yanks that we wouldn't have any interest in and a group of a hundred of Her Majesty's finest representatives that we would give at least a case, or well, maybe a six-pack of Guinness for.  It's all in who you happen to meet out of the billions in the world. Would the top forty songs still be the top forty if they let you choose from all of them instead of the 100 or so they let you hear?

I'd like to say there is a grand purpose, a noble calling that elevates us from the teeming millions that marry a local guy or gal.
But I would guess that for many of us, it just worked out that way. Did for me, anyway. Met her at my cousin's house a half hour away from mine. She had a great smile and said she liked motorbikes. Didn't really matter if she was a Brit or not.

Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 06:26:10 PM »
I don't think there's necessarily any special connection between Brits and Americans. It's just that UKY is a site for Americans living in the UK -- and many of us are here for the simple reason that we're married to (or dating) Brits. If you found a site for Swedish people living in New Zealand, you'd probably conclude that there's a connection between Swedes and Kiwis!  :)
yes thats exactly what I was thinking.

Also I wanted to add I never had a particular attraction to any specific nationality of men. I wasnt looking for a British man. It just happend to work out that way. I dont even find their accent that charming  :D 
 Destiny is a funny thing.

• One day.......
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 06:46:22 PM »
It was a long time before we even talked on the phone.  I fell for him because there was an emotional connection that I've never had with any man before.  We found each other out of the blue and have so much in common, (except for the living in different countries thing  :()  I do love his accent, that just adds something different, and it's so funny when he tries to say "whatever" in a California accent.  Yeah, I think it was destiny.
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 07:04:31 PM »
I never had a LDR w/my Scots husband.  I met him whilst I was already here. 

I went off American men loooong before I'd met him.  They just weren't for me.

• I miss you so much. My heart is forever broken.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 07:11:43 PM »
I agree with everyone on here...it wasn't the nationality of my boyfriend that made me want to be with him. It's alot deeper than that.

;D but the accent helped once we spoke on the fone lol...it just draws u in more lol

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab