Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.  (Read 43382 times)

• Patience is a virtue I do not have.
  • Liked: 1
Re: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
I was def not looking to be in a relationship with a Brit when I met him but I will say his accent didn't hurt him. Someone else said it but I hardly register his accent anymore - unless he says a word or phrase and his accent gets in the way and he has to repeat it.

I think we just fit together. He's very laid back and calm while I'm aggressive and loud - we just mesh together.

Having found this forum, i realize that the LDR between Americans and Brits seems very common and most of the people on here have gotten married or are going to.

I was just wondering what this attraction is between us ? The cute accent/different culture thing must wear off after a few years ??

Personally for me, Brit girls just dont hit the same buttons as Americans and I am quite sure I wouldnt have found the qualities/personality/attraction of my American wife to be in a British girl.

What was it/is it for you that makes us go through this initial hardship/hell of a LDR ? Do you think its bc maybe we all want something we cant have ?

What is it like when your finally together ?

Met Online: Jan 2010
Became a Couple: Feb 2010
Met in person: June 2010
Engaged: June 2010
Hubby's 2nd trip to the US: Oct 2010
Failed trip due to accident: Feb 2011
Married: 15th of October, 2011
Applying for Visa: Sept/Aug 2012

• Liked: 4
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
I think a big bit of it is the appeal of the comfortably different.

There's all the appeal of the exotic: the unusual accent, the cultural differences, the voice that sounds like something from the movies (or something from PBS).  And then at the same time there's the comfort of it not being too different.  The accent is different, but the language is the same, some of the cultural markers are shared.

I have to agree with this statement!

For me, I fell in love with my husband because of his personality. He is funny, sweet, kind, very outgoing, and we share a lot of the same interests in things. To me, he is the one that makes me feel secure, happy, and comfortable to be around. His cute accent his just a bonus. :P

• Liked: 2
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2012, 02:20:04 AM »
I had to laugh when I saw this post. Just seems kinda silly to me. :P As for me, when I met Alex online 7 years ago, we didn't even speak on the phone until a year after we met online. We spoke briefly, he said he liked my accent and I said I liked his. But.. that just so doesn't have anything to do with why we're together, lol. Nor the cultural thing either, it is interesting to see differences from where we come from but nothing more, nothing less.

I'm used to his accent now, it's just how he speaks. However when someone (for example) talks in my family over Skype or something, he's like "Wow! They sound really American!" whereas he is used to my American accent now, and I'm the same when I hear someone in his family talk, cept ya know "Wow they sound really English!" lol. We're both just used to the other's accent. However, I do have to say when we are old and grey and finally living in the same freaking country, we'd still probably make fun of how the other says certain words. (And I make fun of his lack of grammar sometimes, haha) Now THAT is something that is pretty cute and fun about being in a relationship with someone that is not from the same country. ;)

But all in all, it's his personality, charm, humor and dashing good looks (Oh yeah, he's adorable, makes me giggle like a school girl) I fell for. The English accent is simply a nice little bonus on top of all his other qualities. If he was the same nationality as me, I'd still love him all the same. AND it might be kinda nice, seeing as we wouldn't be paying out the @SS just to be together, lol.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
I met my Southern Belle quite by accident on a online game. I was about to log out when she just said Hi & we ended up talking for several hours. Now I,m used to Americans since I served alongside some American units during my time in the British Army. So its fair to say I was already fully aware of our cultural diffrences which there are many IMHO. But there was something unique about this girl from rural Arkansas that captivated me.

I love the way she she dont elevate herself to "queen bee" in our relationship , She dont beat around the bush.. if shes got summat to say.. she will, shes more than happy to make do n mend , she adores family & has become loved as a step mum to my 2 kids, shes not afraid to get her hands dirty , SHE LOVES CAMPING , shes not adverse to put up with a lil hardship when things get tight, she dont sulk or go into a strop when things dont go her way, her family have accepted me warmly. When I was flying back to the UK after our wedding her Mum gave me a hand written letter before I caught the plane, welcoming me into the family saying I was loved & she could not of wished for a better man for her daughter (yup I was choked). She knows how to cook proper food, she has respect & compasion, Oh & her sweet Southern drawl is an added bonus.

I swore I,d never marry again after my divorce , but this sweet girl from out there in the sticks truly restored my faith in women. I love her to the end of the world n back & so cannot wait for this agonising visa process to finish so I can get her back home.

Regards

Certa.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab