Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.  (Read 43388 times)

Re: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 08:48:18 PM »

Direct quote from Richard, "I love you even though you're from the States."

Awww - and who says romance is dead?

[smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Liked: 18
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 05:46:16 AM »
I knew my guy about 5 years before we got together, but when we started getting to know each other and developing feelings for each other I have to say his being British had nothing to do with it, although I absolutely adore his accent ;) I also love how in one family there are several different types of accent. But again it had nothing to do with that ;)

I fell for my guy because hes unlike any other man I have ever met, hes so kind, generous, caring, sweet and wonderful, although I will admit hes not perfect.  :P

The LDR definitely wasnt something I was looking for, in fact I wasnt looking for the R in the first place hehe

I have to admit though, the area I am from...I wouldnt want a 'local boy' :( I've btdt and didnt wanna do it again. Doesnt mean I was looking for someone thousands of miles away either but thats the way it happened.

He has mentioned before though he liked American girls more than British girls...but he didnt seek them out on purpose, he would look for someone he found a connection with. I think it really had more to do with the people in his past than anything else. Same with me, Id have fallen for him even if he were 'just American' ;)

Either way we've found each other now, and thats what matters  ;D

Ahhh I am babbling...thats what happens at nearly midnite ;)

Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• taking over birmingham one by one...
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 06:48:48 AM »
i couldn't give a rat's ars* if DF was british, cambodian, texan, martian, etc.

it's the man i love, not the accent (how farking superficial--who agrees to marriage based on dialect?  ::) :P).
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 07:11:34 AM »
I met my husband online, specifically looking for a British pen pal (no more, no less). I'd always been an Anglophile, and the particular website had a compatibitily questionnaire. I filled it out, and Andrew and I were far and away the most compatible of all the other people on the site. I sent him an email, he wrote back, and it went like that for a while. Then we started the Yahoo IM deal, and it was always crushing to sign off. Then came the ridiculously expensive nightly phone calls, until we decided we should just meet and see if it was meant to be. It was, and we celebrated our five-year anniversary in November.

Suzanne

P.S. I am enamored of the British accent. If he left me a message on voice mail, I'd listen to it over and over, especially if he laughed (I tended to leave witty messages).

• I'm Josie from the block AKA silvermoondust
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »
Like others here, I didn't fall for my husband because he's british, and he has a cute accent. And I'm very sure he didn't love me because Im' American. If he were American I'd love him anyway, and if I were Scottish, same thing.

Neither of us were looking for anyone at all. We just decided to chat that night we met.

I have to admit though, his accent drew me in, plus it helped he is so great looking  :P lol
Born and bred NYC-er living in Glasgow
Married to my scrumptious hottie Scottish boy on August 13, 2005.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 10:07:22 PM »

Ok so Dig it !   8)

Well Ive wanted to live in the UK for at least the past 12 years since I first went......

Absolutely am im love with it , and my Husband to be Neil is from Scotland. I have been with several American Men and Many Europeans. The one thing is i have noticed (and not to generalize all but most!), is that Euro men seem to have more of an understanding of love. All the Europeans Ive been fortunate to know have been great with their families, excellent lovers, and fearless in their pursuit of really enjoying life.
Living here in California and growing up for half my childhood in Boston, Massachusetts there is a different tone to the way Men are. Where I live now in Southern California these people have no real idea of what a life is.. the shop constantly, driving around in these lavish unessesary cars and want materialistic fake plastic wives. the women here are either messed up cause they are materialistic or messed up because they spend money on Botox, liposuction, breasts, however or whatever these women do all they do is mutilize themselves not making themselves look better and why fucken do that to yourself in the first place?. But men here think that is the way it is and what their wife should look like. Blonde, Big tits, gym membership, and no Carbs, atkins diet etc etc.... Sitting on the couch watching "Desperate Houswives"....... HOW FUCKEN SAD!
American Men live in this bullshit existence to me or ive never found one I was compatable with let alone want to cause I never wanted to stay here anyway. Why waste my time tying myself down to a place I despize!
Neil is patient, straightforward, understanding, love driven, moral, excellent lover and has the most beautiful voice in the world.
If I was attracted to Black, Chinese, green, American, Canadian, etc...... I would be with them too. Just so happens I live Scottish, Pale, Scrawny, hot accented men.

Its your life do and love who ever you want  ;)

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 10:14:47 PM »
...Whats wrong with watching Desperate Housewives? [smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]

• Regalriket
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 08:54:39 AM »
Speaking as an American who married a Swede, it wasn't the accent and it certainly wasn't for convenience, since at the age of 50, I had to move to a new country and learn a new language.  But I've been married to a Brit previously as well, so I guess I just click better with non-American guys.  Now my Swede and I are both moving to the UK in late spring-early summer.
If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter what road you take.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 04:13:45 PM »
Having found this forum, i realize that the LDR between Americans and Brits seems very common and most of the people on here have gotten married or are going to.

Nah, it's not really that common. As others have said it just looks like it because it's a forum for that type of people.

I was just wondering what this attraction is between us ? The cute accent/different culture thing must wear off after a few years ??

If people are basing their romantic relationships mainly on the fact their partner has a sexy accent/different culture, and so they can impress people, it's not gonna work. A total prick can have a cute accent, but that doesn't mean you should change your whole life for him. Think of it this way: if your partner DIDN'T have a British (or American) accent, and if they lived in the next town over from you, would you STILL sacrifice so much for them? Would you even look at them twice?

Personally for me, Brit girls just dont hit the same buttons as Americans and I am quite sure I wouldnt have found the qualities/personality/attraction of my American wife to be in a British girl.

Not all American girls are alike though. It's nice that you've found good qualities in the American women you've met. Just like you can't say all British men are romantic and charming, like Hugh Grant or Ewan MacGregor. Believe me, you can get some real losers here, too.  [smiley=bleck.gif] Just read Take a Break. Be careful who you end up with.

What was it/is it for you that makes us go through this initial hardship/hell of a LDR ? Do you think its bc maybe we all want something we cant have ?

I personally would not recommend going through this kind of LDR unless you are CERTAIN the person you're with is really worth it. That means actually being with them physically for more than just a couple months. It takes total commitment, and it only gets more complicated the longer you're together. If you ever come to a point where you're questioning whether or not it's worth it, you might as well break it off while the relationship is still new.

What is it like when your finally together ?

It's not 100% easy if you've never lived together before. You go from being miles apart and only seeing eachother several times a year to living with this person 24/7. The "desire" factor wears off pretty quickly and you start to learn new things about your partner that you never would have known. It's a big huge risk. My biggest advice is, don't rush anything.
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 10:25:59 PM »
We all know how heady the feeling is if you think you're in love with someone, particularly in the first few months. I think the Brit/American attraction depends on a lot: a mutual love of accents, how cool it is to know and love someone from a similar but different culture, how hard it will be to overcome the odds, etc. Once you get married and have been so for a while, the love is still there, but I don't think it's any different from what if would be if you'd married someone from your own country. I'd guess it's the initial uniqueness of it all that makes it different from falling for someone from your own country.

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 10:39:05 PM »
I was working and living in Scotland when I met my now-husband, an Englishman living and working in Scotland.  I'd long gotten over the accent thing before I met him.  He worked with Americans and was long over those accents.

So, what attracted this Brit-American couple?  Simple answer: Sarcasm.  He asked a simple and innocent question, I replied with a bit of wit, he was shocked to hear wit/sarcasm come from an American and we got to talking, which led to going out for a beer, which let to 1-15 beers (each).  The rest is history.

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 03:17:17 PM »
Shearlove - hear hear!  I agree with everything you wrote.  The superficial mess that Americans dish out - that's absolutely true.  My Brit is a love based man, a man of conviction with the purest heart.  Not jaded or synical.

I think you wrote it out the best.

~BEG

• Liked: 12
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »
^ Not to sound cynical or heartless, but there are plenty of shallow British men too who are anything but pure and love-based. Again, it has nothing to do with being British or American -- it's to do with the man himself.

I'm glad people on this forum have found such great guys, but they're not great because they're British.
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Proud US/UK citizen & Royal Marine Commando Wife!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
^ Not to sound cynical or heartless, but there are plenty of shallow British men too who are anything but pure and love-based. Again, it has nothing to do with being British or American -- it's to do with the man himself.

I'm glad people on this forum have found such great guys, but they're not great because they're British.

Honeybee, I couldn't have said it better if I had said it myself.   

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 10:11:38 PM »
I always had a "thing" about US guys accents. Since I was a small child watching Will Robinson in "Lost in Space" Sounds mad now lol

I met my husband in London and fell for, among many other things, his own particular US accent (definite John Malkovitch tones) I loved his Americaness(New Word??)...his worldliness...his sense of humour....his incredible confidence...the fact that he was as attracted to me as I was to him, that he didn't give a damn about problems he was more focused on solutions. In a nutshell he was so different to any other man I had ever met.

It was the person I fell in love with with but with wonderful extras lol.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab