Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.  (Read 43607 times)

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
Re: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2006, 08:02:40 AM »
kellie-- that is  very beautiful!  I hope it's like that for all of us! ;D ;D ;D ;)
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2006, 01:51:49 PM »
kellie-- that is  very beautiful!  I hope it's like that for all of us! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Thanks!   I hope so too!:)

There we times I seriously didn't think we'd make it.  But one way or another, we've worked through things.

This thread really made me sit back and reflect.   :)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 01:54:19 PM by Kellie8yearsinUK »
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2006, 02:31:29 PM »
I never expected that I would fall in love with a Brit....it just happened...we got talking and became friends and things went from there...I think that Brits and Americans have a mutual interest in each other..because our cultures are so similar and the Brits accent isn't bad either hehe...but that isn't why I fell in love with my boyfriend...I fell in love with the man he is....he doesn't love me because I am American...he loves me for who I am...like Bridget Jones said "He loves me just the way I am"...I do find it interesting from reading this website and the forums that so many Brits and Americans have gotten together...I can't speak for everyone but I didn't purposefully go out looking for a man from another country...if I had it my way I would have preferred someone who lived in my same zipcode hehe...but then again you can't help who you fall in love with...
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2006, 05:01:46 AM »
After originally posting this thread - the attraction I was asking about finally concluded with our wedding last Saturday Oct 14th in North East PA.  ;) ;) ;)

The distance, plane rides, phone calls, emails, visits, security issues, immigration problems, financial problems,time zone difference and general stress were all tough at times but no oceans can tear true love apart.

We are now back in the UK planning on leading a somewhat normal life (for a while at least )  ;)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2006, 08:04:40 AM »
That's great! congratulations!

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2006, 11:14:54 PM »
I met my wife to be in a pub in New York City. I wasn't looking either.  It just happened. I will say this though...After living in New York my whole life I can assure you that there is a marked difference between European women and American women. I think there is less of a materialism thing going on.  I have had nothing but demanding and self absorbed girlfriends in my life...I want, I want, I want, I want...etc...And I am sure there a few walking around over there too.

Oh hell...Maybe it took me 45 years to find the right one...

Of all the gin joints in town she had to walk into mine.

And I'm glad she did. ;D

She just happens to be a Brit and she is an absolute doll. And the accent is hot but she thinks my New Yorker thing is cool too. And her folks smile whenever I speak to them because they think they are talking to Robert Deniro...You Talkin' To Me?

You can't explain attraction it just happens.

Heading to the UK for Thanksgiving because I am sick of eating turkey on my birthday.

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2006, 08:13:21 PM »
When my Mark and I talked about it we came to the following conclusion (and of course, it contains sweeping generalizations but has some truth I think): For him, none of the british girls he dated/met were as interesting, funny, adventurous etc. From what I hear american women are much more open with their sexuality than brit women are (just what ive heard!). He considers me to be "quite a handful" in a good way.  For me, I have never met an american as mature for his age, as well read, who could cook (something a lot of british men seem to do!), who was sensitive and as loving as he.

I think, out of cultural differences, one country has produced mates to the other's liking, and vice versa.

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2006, 05:27:27 PM »
I agree with Trickynicky42 ...I think one country has produced mates for the other ones... ;D....I am not saying there is anything wrong with American men...I am just saying there seems to be something a little different about British men...well anyway it worked out for me...I met a wonderful man and are head over heels....
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »
I like reading the stories on here - there is someone in every possible stage. It gives me hope that I will have many years with my husband.
As for me, I was simply looking for people to chat to on Myspace - following my daughter in her on-line exploits to 'keep an eye' on here - and she looked for british guys, so I did.
It was great to chat to him, as i keep telling him, as we got to know each other initially and fully before a picture was sent or seen. By the time a photo was exchanged, we
 ;Dwere 'dating' and when he surprised me with a ticket to the UK to see him, I was not sure if I should take him up on it.
i am glad I did.
I knew the minute I met him at the arrivals gate. I knew before that ,through his personality and the way he seemed very smart about things that i was not, and we matched well with our personalities.

As for the accent, it did not occur to me that he wouild have one until 10 minutes before our very first phone conversation. It was a very nervous 10 minutes, and I sat there and suddenly came to the conclusion that 'hey! he is british and there fore will have an accent!'. I did tell him this but he even likes my blonde moments.
I think we are lucky because we fell in love through talking, went through many hard moments of one of us puting the other one on a plane, and then driving home to empty houses to go back to internet chats. Now, we are very aware of how lucky we are - being able to be in the same country and house - now for the next two years at least.

we just got back from our honeymoon, got married December 1st.
I thank everyone on here for sharing stories and being a part of this community.

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2006, 07:30:04 PM »

Congrats Gina! Nice story!  ;)

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2007, 10:49:43 PM »
I know this will sound mean but I thought my DF sounded a bit girly when I first talked to him on the phone.  [smiley=laugh4.gif] Now I can't even hear his accent and his voice has deepened. :) What attracted me to my DF...his eyes. The first time I saw his picture when I was 15 and just chatting with whoever I was like I'm going to date you someday. Here we are almost 7 years later getting engaged and me moving to the UK.  ;D I think it is true though that each country makes mates for the other one. I'm not saying all American men are bad either but Ian has captured my heart somehow.

• Yorkshire Yank
    • my blog
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2007, 10:56:19 PM »
I would have fallen for my bf whether he'd been British or not... well his sexy accent sure doesn't make me any less attracted to him LOL  ;)  but I'd gotten to know him online, and we had so much in common. His personality really came out in our chats, and he seemed sooooo much like me. When we finally met, it was heaven :)

I think the internet is the best invention ever... its allowed us to meet people we may otherwise have never crossed paths with.
Fiancee visa approved 17 Dec. 2010
Arrived in UK 23 Dec. 2010
Married 26 April 2011
FLR(M) application posted 17 May 2011
Received Biometrics letter 28 May 2011
Biometrics done 8 June 2011
Biometrics Residence permit received 23 June 2011
SET(M) application posted 6 June 2013
Biometrics letter received 22 June 2013
Biometrics done 28 June 2013
Received my documents and letter that my BRP is being issued 6 July 2013

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »
I also had no intention of meeting a Brit and falling in love....I had no intention of falling in love at all, after all the bad relationships I had been in...BUT I met DB and we hist it off from the start. 

I also agree that one country has produced mates for the other...I have dated many American men and have never met anyone as interesting, attentive, secure, stable, easy to talk to, exciting and the list goes on as my DB.  I try to explain to him all the time how there are things that he does that in my opinion American men would never do, b/c they are too "macho" for that.  It's nice to date someone who is secure enough in who he is to do things many men I have daed would've considered "weak".

Love is a crazy thing....and it came to me at such an unexpected time from an very unexpected person.
11/06-Met DH, while traveling on business in UK
12/06-11/09-Several visits back and forth
11/22/09-Married
12/14/09-submitted visas on-line
12/18/09-Biometrics completed/Package sent to courier
12/21/09-Package arrived at courier
12/29/09-Apps submitted to LA Consulate
12/30/09-Visas in my hand!

• One day.......
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »
Love is a crazy thing....and it came to me at such an unexpected time from an very unexpected person.
It's so nice when that happens!  :)
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2007, 02:30:58 AM »
To be honest, I joke that DB was as close to an Irishman as I have managed. I wasn't looking for a Brit, but I found one. He's that perfect balance of just being a guy and being a good listener, caring, gentleman. We both have similar values and goals. I also didn't think of him having an accent until our first voice conversation, I was surprised by the accent! I loved the sound of his voice, it's great. I actually sometimes prefer when we just talk on the phone because I get to focus on the sound of it, the tone is fab and his accent just makes it better. He was surprised by my accent because I don't sound like his relatives in West Virginia. I do love that we get to learn about each other's cultures and I love that our children will be exposed to the diversity as well.

ETA: I don't notice his accent any more if it's just us talking, but I do notice it when we visit each other. I'm not quite sure why that is...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:36:27 AM by scarlett516 »

Sponsored Links