Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.  (Read 43387 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2007, 03:47:55 AM »
I just saw his lovely accent as a bonus....and now I don't even notice his accent until he says a particular phrase or word ...and then I look at him and smile and ask him to say it again hehehe

I loved reading everyones stories....and I am happy that there are other men and women out there like me going thru the same thing...and having those people to share it with  :)
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2007, 01:16:55 PM »
My Fiance is different then most men around the Bay Area where I am from. He is a lot more mature then anyone I have met or been with. He also has a great sense of humor and is my best friend. Not to say it is because he is from England that made him this way. It just so happened that's where he was from.

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2007, 04:24:49 PM »
When I met DH I DEFINATLY was not looking for a relationship as I was only here in England to study for 9 months but when i landed in England for the 1st time.. I had a funny feeling that I was here for longer that 9 months.... I cant describe the feeling, but i just knew i was meant to be here.

It may sounds weird but I felt as if there was something drawing me to England my whole life.  I used to tell my mom when i was 10 years old I was going to marry an English-man (mostly because i had a crush on Hugh Grant.. hehe).  I honestly think DH and I were meant to meet..  not because he is English, but because hes my soulmate  :)

• Yorkshire Yank
    • my blog
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2007, 04:33:13 PM »

It may sounds weird but I felt as if there was something drawing me to England my whole life.  I used to tell my mom when i was 10 years old I was going to marry an English-man (mostly because i had a crush on Hugh Grant.. hehe).  I honestly think DH and I were meant to meet..  not because he is English, but because hes my soulmate  :)

LOL it was kind of similar for me too... I always joked when I was younger that someday I would be off the the U.K., fall completely in love with a British man and stay there and live happily ever after :)  and my first time in the U.K. when I went to meet my bf I felt so at home there, like I was always meant to find my way to him there someday.

I wasn't even really looking to meet someone in England specifically... I met my bf online and I didn't even know right away he was from England. Although that certainly did nothing to turn me off LOL  ;)
Fiancee visa approved 17 Dec. 2010
Arrived in UK 23 Dec. 2010
Married 26 April 2011
FLR(M) application posted 17 May 2011
Received Biometrics letter 28 May 2011
Biometrics done 8 June 2011
Biometrics Residence permit received 23 June 2011
SET(M) application posted 6 June 2013
Biometrics letter received 22 June 2013
Biometrics done 28 June 2013
Received my documents and letter that my BRP is being issued 6 July 2013

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2007, 04:40:43 PM »
I think Brits, deep down, appreciate how outgoing and friendly Americans are, whereas Americans love the British accent and wry sense of humor.

• One day.......
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2007, 06:13:31 PM »
My Fiance is different then most men around the Bay Area where I am from. He is a lot more mature then anyone I have met or been with. He also has a great sense of humor and is my best friend. Not to say it is because he is from England that made him this way. It just so happened that's where he was from.
I'm in the Bay Area so I definitely know what you mean although some of my friends here don't get it.  I tease them by saying that I had to find a man in another country because of how most of the men are here, lol.  But really, I just think I found someone special in the world and just because he's in another country, it doesn't mean he can't be the right one for me.
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

• I'm the Brit half...
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2008, 11:55:59 AM »
Thats a tough one!
I met my BF online 2 years ago. Prior to this I had been happy with me fellow Brit men and had never really looked for a US guy. I just met him and fell in love I do think if I found him round the corner from me here that I would still have loved him..

Having said that he is American and has the accent and cute little Minnesota 'ways' which I have never met in a guy before so I suppose I go and contradict myself as that is partly what makes him who he is and who I love.. ;D
Hmm and the accent has grown on me considerably....  ;)

2nd April 2011 - married in MN, USA
7th April 2011 - Applied online for Spouse Visa
11th April 2011 - Spouse visa issued
12th May 2011 - Hubby home :)
22nd June 2013 - ILR :) :)

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
GAWD.....I just love the way he looks at me, the way he smiles, laughs, walks around, sleeps, eats, dresses, jokes, brushes his teeth, flips thru the tv stations nonstop regardless of what is on, makes me tea....he always says the most insightful things, he always supports anything i do, and on top of it he is just dead sexy.

I especially loooooooove how he makes me wake up feeling like the luckiest girl in the world, every day.

I don't know if it has to do with his britishness at all, but I'm cool with whatever it is.

Yay life!
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
In reading some other posts I totally agree...my fiance is my best friend and can make me laugh so hard I cry..he seems to be a little different then most of the men I have dated here in the states..but in a good way...He seems to be that old fashioned type of man...a gentleman and the fact that he loves me for whom I am is great...and it doesn't hurt he reminds me of Colin Firth hehe...I have had a lot of my friends and people I have met ask me why I had to meet someone from another country...were you that hard up for a date...and that isn't it at all...is just happened to be that my soulmate didn't live near me...and I think it is wonderful that we had a chance to find each other...And I agree with Rosiebee...if my fiance lived here in the States and I met him I still think we would have fallen in love...because I just think we were meant to be...
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »
I just saw his lovely accent as a bonus....and now I don't even notice his accent until he says a particular phrase or word ...and then I look at him and smile and ask him to say it again hehehe

Me too, except I giggle at him. He's from Leicester so pronounces tongue as "tong" LOL

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
I wasn't looking for a Brit either, or a relationship at all. I was just having fun on the internet meeting different people and socializing. Then he found me. I didn't hear his voice for weeks after we'd met, so the accent didn't take part in my falling for him. I will admit, though, that when I heard his Welsh accent I swooned. I'm used to the English accent (friends, films, TV), but the Welsh was new to me. Three and a half years later and his accent still turns me to mush.

I will say this, though, and I'm not saying that it has anything to do with my husband being British, but he has treated me better than any American guy I'd ever met, including the Hispanic ones. He also feels more loved and cared for than he had in the past with any British girl. But, I don't know if that counts since I'm Latina and a lot of us tend to be more passionate than most American women (so I hear!).
Submitted online Visa application: January 27th, 2010
Biometrics taken: February 5th, 2010
Expediter submitted application to LA Consulate: February 9th, 2010
Visa issued: February 12th, 2010
Joining my husband in Wales: May 10th, 2010

• Vegetarians age well!
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2010, 02:00:12 AM »
Re the men, the Brits are not so macho.  They're more relaxed and even the hetro men dance together!  They're not uptight about gay people, vegetarians or anyone else that's different, and are basically more sensitive.  On the bad side, they don't clean or have domestic abilities like the yanks do!
Smile and the world will smile with you.
Laugh and the world will think you're a goofball.

« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
Re the men, the Brits are not so macho.  They're more relaxed and even the hetro men dance together!  They're not uptight about gay people, vegetarians or anyone else that's different, and are basically more sensitive.  On the bad side, they don't clean or have domestic abilities like the yanks do!

I agree about the "not so macho" thing! That's one of the things I absolutely love about my husband. And he can talk about his feelings like any woman can, lol

But, I guess I lucked out on this one... My husband does chores! Funny, though, when he lived with his mother he never lifted a finger, but once he was living with me he did everything, from cooking, to doing laundry, taking care of the baby (and me), and even getting my older boys ready for school. He's great ♥ :)

Ok, I'm done bragging, now.. lol
Submitted online Visa application: January 27th, 2010
Biometrics taken: February 5th, 2010
Expediter submitted application to LA Consulate: February 9th, 2010
Visa issued: February 12th, 2010
Joining my husband in Wales: May 10th, 2010

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
Hee hee!  The thought of my British hubby dancing with another man--no way!  But no-one in our social circle is uptight about alternative lifestyles, but there are plenty of old-fashioned bigots here in the north of England.  I'm just glad they are not included in my friends....
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
Hee hee!  The thought of my British hubby dancing with another man--no way!  But no-one in our social circle is uptight about alternative lifestyles, but there are plenty of old-fashioned bigots here in the north of England.  I'm just glad they are not included in my friends....

:P Bigots galore in North England. That's for sure.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

Sponsored Links