Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Out of UK more than 280 days in 3 yrs  (Read 577 times)

• waking up lost.....
  • Liked: 0
Out of UK more than 280 days in 3 yrs
« on: January 23, 2006, 03:31:53 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm married to a Brit, have my ILR and will complete my three residency in the UK this coming September.  I want to become a naturalized Brit and know that one can only be out of the UK for 280 days in three years (if married to a Brit).  However, upon checking my passport I have been out of the UK for about 300 days.  I e-mailed the Home Office and they replied that I should provide as much information regarding my time outsided the UK as I could.  Anyone know what happens if out the UK more than 280 days? 

Also,  I've been to Ireland twice in this three year period and when returning to the UK there were no UK immigration officers present at the airport so I have no stamp in my passport showing when I re-entered the UK.  This has also happened when returning from Spain.  On these three occasions I only have a stamp showing that I entered Ireland and Spain.  How does the Home Office know when I've returned from these places if I have no re-entering stamp? 

Thanks!!!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Out of UK more than 280 days in 3 yrs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 03:39:37 PM »
If you can send evidence of your return, such as your boarding pass, then do so.  Otherwise, just make a note of the dates on a seperate sheet of paper.  Whatever you do, don't try to fiddle it!  If your absence over the 280 was work related, then supply a letter from your employer saying so.

Victoria

• waking up lost.....
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:55:02 PM »
That's the problem, I have no evidence of my returns.  All three trips were holiday trips and only for a week each.  What do you recommend I should do?
I was working in Taiwan for 164 days but it had nothing to do with being transferred from a job here in the UK.  My passport does show stamps for entering and leaving Taiwan when I was working there though.  Do you think that would help instead of a letter from my employer?   

• waking up lost.....
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:57:26 PM »
I should have said,

Do you think that would help instead of a letter from my ex-Taiwanese employer?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:01:31 PM »
As I said, just make a notes of the dates and explain they didn't stamp you on return.

Yes, get a letter from your ex-employer.  I think you should be ok as you are only 20 days over the limit.

Victoria

• waking up lost.....
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
Excellent!!!

Thanks again for your wisdom!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 04:16:06 PM »
desert- i'm not going for my naturalization for 2 1/2 years but i'm keeping tabs on my ins and outs and i'm out a lot for work- something that's helping me out is that the day you leave and the day you return count as in the UK so don't go towards your 280days.  i realize this is technicality- but it knocks many days off my trips (as many of them are only 2-3 days).  cheers-meg
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• waking up lost.....
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:08:11 PM »
megs,

thanks for that info about the home office counting the day you leave/enter the uk as in and not out. that was going to be my next question.  i do have dates for most of my travels out of the uk since sept 2003 but i wasn't paying attention/completely forgot to keep plane tickets/jot down dates on calendars on about four of those occasions.  but like victoria said, i don't want to fiddle with my dates so i have more or less the correct dates and went over by 33 days.  hope i can squeeze through!!!   

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab