Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Health Insurance/Fiance Visa  (Read 3000 times)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
Health Insurance/Fiance Visa
« on: August 21, 2002, 10:05:38 PM »
For those of you over on a fiance visa, how do you handle health insurance coverage?  That's my biggest worry now...if I'm unable to transfer with my company, I'll come over on the fiance visa.  Hate the thought of not being covered even if it's 6 months max until we get married and I'm then covered on my BFs insurance.   [smiley=anxious.gif]
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    • Our Site
Re: Health Insurance/Fiance Visa
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 10:59:18 PM »
You know, I was told that I had no access to the NHS until Bob and I were married - and then the doctor actually said that wasn't true.

So who was correct?

I'd say if you need treatment, you wouldn't be denied.

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 12:05:09 PM »
I came over on a fiance visa and went on the NHS a few days after my arrival. I didn't use it till I hurt my leg, but no one at any point asked me why I was in the country.

We were under the impression that as long as you are here to stay you are qualified to have NHS so down we went to the local surgry to get myself registered. No questions asked and I got my NHS card in the mail a few days later.

I would say give it a go down at your local surgry once you are here. You shouldn't have any problems.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 04:31:12 PM »
As long as you are in the country legally, you are covered under NHS as soon as you step off the plane.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 07:02:21 PM »
Thanks a million!! This was a big concern for me.  One less thing to worry about now!
:)
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 11:29:47 PM »
As the others said, I believe that once you are a legal resident, you are covered under the NHS, no matter what your status.  
I was concerned about giving up private insurance coverage though, so I continued on my former employers insurance through the Cobra program. I had to pay about twice as much as I did when I worked for them, so I gave this up after about 6 months.  Luckily Ive been healthy :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 06:38:09 PM »
When I called about getting my (much needed!) Depo shot this week, I was told that as long as I was living in this country, it was free and I (and my kids) would be covered under the NHS.  They didn't even ask to see those wonderful Visas I went through such hell to get to prove it.  Just gave them my address and they gave me forms to fill out...took my word that I was here to stay.

I guess misunderstandings come from the fact that in the US, government-subsidised health care is the same as welfare, which would be the equivalent of "public funds" in the UK in most of our minds.  But I guess the NHS doesn't really fall under that heading?

Oh well - I don't really care how or why - I'm just glad I no longer have to pay $60 every three months for this shot!!!  ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab