Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Criminal Records Check?Help!  (Read 1386 times)

Criminal Records Check?Help!
« on: November 20, 2003, 10:58:06 AM »
Hi, hoping someone on here may know about how to get a criminal records check from back home. ( NYC)  I need this done in order to start work! Any sites you know of would be great or better yet, if you had to get this taken care of and know of a way of sorting this out as quickly as possible, please let me know.  Thanks :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Criminal Records Check?Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 11:24:31 AM »
I would have thought the employer would handle that?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 11:38:46 AM »
l was police checked for the current job l am in. It's called Vetting or Pecs. It does take a wee bit longer because they will contact the police from the last current address you give them in the states. You have to put down the address of the places you lived for the last 5 years. They use interpol for doing such checks
Currently here in NI where l am living, they say it usually takes about 6-9 weeks for everything to come back. It may be different in the UK Mainland.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 11:39:13 AM »
That's what I thought would happen but have been told by a supply agency that I need to have this sorted in order to work as a supply teacher in the UK.  Of course,  I had to contact Naric first to compare my degree and pay for that as well.  Even after doing that, they also want to compare my high school qualifications! You would think that after working for eight years and having a Masters degree that it wouldn't be a problem.  I just don't understand why I'm not considered to be a qualified teacher here, whereas, if I got my degree from anywhere within the EU my qualifications would be recognized.  It's been quite aggravating and disappointing to say the least.   :(  Once I find a teaching post as an "unqualified" teacher than I need to be part of an OTTP (overseas trained teaching programme) in order to gain QTS. I, personally, feel this is quite unfair.  :'( So, for now, doing my best to do what's needed so that I could continue doing what I love best!  (sorry for venting! just hasn't been an easy past few months)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 11:43:32 AM »
Thanks Trish, I'll be sure to research that now...6-9 weeks..*sigh*

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 11:48:52 AM »
We were posting at the same time!! LOL  

Anyway, as far as the vetting process, please do some research on this, it may be different in the mainland but it's actually up to the agency to do the vetting proceedure.
I assume you have a reference and paperwork from your last job in the states? You might want to contact your last employer and ask them for your work records. Your police check from that job will be in there.

As for your qualifications, l have an equalivant of a NVQ3 but it's not recongized here in the UK and would have to spend over £3000 to get an NVQ3 here in NI, when l already have the American version! It sucks big time because of it!  

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 11:55:54 AM »
It might be worth contacting a different agency.  I think there may even be ones that specialize in hiring American and Canadian teachers, so they may be worth looking into.  I think Timeplan hires alot of foriegn teachers, but I'm not absolutely sure.  

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 12:06:17 PM »
I'll be sure to research vetting.  Good thinking, I guess my best bet would be to get in touch with NYC Bd. of Ed.  I had my fingerprints done there, so shouldn't be too much of an issue.  

Is it more of the norm, for whoever hires you to sort this out?

Grrrrrr it's just so upsetting to have to go through all of this! Why aren't your qualifications recognized? You would think having a degree from the States, references, and the experience would be sufficient!

Is there a way for us Americans to voice our opinion about this issue?

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 12:11:18 PM »
Mindy, thank you for the site, it looks promising!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab