Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Equivalent to Variety Store (K-Mart)?  (Read 11261 times)

• Liked: 0
UK Equivalent to Variety Store (K-Mart)?
« on: August 23, 2002, 02:30:27 AM »
Is there any UK equivalent to our cheap-o "everything" stores in the U.S.?  I will be moving to the London area.  

I'm actually hoping there aren't (those 24 hour bargain zoos, brought to us by virtue of slave/child labor -- and, oh, the humanity!:P).  I will be needing general stuff for the flat, a hairdryer, small applicances, etc. and don't want to go to the tourist-trap places. Even if it's not necessarily very "bargain", just someplace that has all that type of stuff.

I recall there was some chain over there, but the name escapes me.  Anyone know?

Thanks!
Plus ca change . . . plus c'est la meme chose.

Re: UK Equivalent to Variety Store (K-Mart)?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 03:24:09 AM »
I would try IKEA, and ASDA.  I'm not positive on the politics of ASDA, but they're owned by the same company as K-Mart (if I'm remembering correctly), if that helps at all.  Also, a lot of grocery stores here (Sainsbury's is the major one I've seen) sell things such as kitchen items, clothes, plate and glassware, etc. for reasonable prices.  So you may want to check something like that out, as well.

~Christa

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 10:58:38 AM »
Carolines, yes there is one.........luckily for me they are located in Devon and Cornwall, only 3 stores and it's combat shopping at it's finest.  The "big shop" is called !  It's wonderful, outstanding, superb and a real experience in um, well everything.  They sell clothes, books, bedding, furniture, tools, garden everything, rugs, toys, paint, automotive, electrical, the list goes on and on............
The best and biggest is Trago at Newton Abbott, just south of Exeter on the A38.  It even has a small animal zoo thingie as well as an amusement park which is really cheap and good fun.  My 4 year old and our 12 year old love it!  They even bus em down from Wales in big monster coaches for a day of combat shopping.  So if you are in need of a day out, and want to shop on the eastern edge of Darmoor, there is lots to do.  One of my favorite places is right there and I call it the teapot shop.  It's Cardew designs and it's about 5 min from Trago in a village called Bovey Tracy........wonderful shop and I could become a teapot collector after going in there.  If you go there, be sure to go round the back where they keep all the seconds.............you can get a £200 teapot for £20!  And they are wonderful...........Then there is the fantastic marble shop...............Ain't I just chatty this am.......well try out Trago, you won't believe your eyes!  Oh, one other thing, they don't have room from trollys, so when you go in, grab lots of baskets!
Malissa ;D
Ce que diable ne peut, femme le faire!

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 11:00:06 AM »
Um sorry, my underlining didn't work the way I thought it would.  The shop is called:  TRAGO MILLS!
Duh on me!
Ce que diable ne peut, femme le faire!

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 11:15:05 AM »
One place to try for that sort of stuff is good old 'Woolworth's'.  It's about as close as you'll get to a K-mart here except they're smaller and in town/city centres.  Ikea is also good for cheap home furnishings.  Don't know where in London you'll be, but the Croydon one is fairly easy to get to.  hairdryers, personal items I'd probably go to boots or superdrug.  Unfortunatly there isn't a shop where you can buy everything-except there is a catalog shop called Argos, that stocks alot of stuff.  It's one of those shops where you go in to order, but I think they also have a web-site that would probably be worth having a look at before you come.  
Hope this helps.  

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 12:13:35 PM »
Caroline,

There are some great suggestions above but thought I'd add my 2p to the bunch!

Woolworths is good for some thing and there are several in the London area.  Do you know where you'll be yet?  12years mentioned Croydon one, but there is also one near the tube station at Camden Town on the northern line which is more central London.  

John Lewis is a department store that sells just about everything.  We bought all our household stuff from there, and altho they aren't usually the cheapest stuff, they have a good variety and will offer free delivery if you need big stuff.

Asda is good for a few things.  It is owned by Walmart (not K-mart, actually).  I've been regularly disappointed with Asda but you can sometimes find a few household things and a few clothes there for bargain prices.

Brent Cross Shopping Centre (an 'american' style mall) might be a good starting place for you.  It's in north London and easy to get to by tube and bus.  Just take the northern line to Brent Cross and get the 210 bus to the shopping centre.  Very easy.  

John Lewis is there, as well as Fenwick (that's fen-icks...you don't pronounce the w!).  I bought all my pots and pans there.  They have lots of furniture and household stuff and lots of good sales.  

In order to avoid touristy-type places, just stay off the high street, dear.  As long as you're not on Oxford Street or in Leicester Square, prices will be pretty standard.

Whew...I'm long winded today!  Hope that helps a bit!

• having one of those days...
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2002, 12:51:18 PM »
hi caroline,

you might want to look over at the 'expat-life' board more more ideas, i can't think of a place other than asda that might have everything plus food stuffs. i just resign myself to the fact that even on a busy week we still have to make trips to 2 different places.

for simple things like lightbulbs, lap trays, etc i pop down to a place called wilkinson's.  like a giant woolworth's.  i buy lightbulbs there and cheapo plastic dishes/utensils.  the nearest one to us is high wycombe which is convienient because there's a small tesco's (metro version) and a safeway within a 5-min walk.

good luck with the move!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• AZ > Scotland > AZ *together at last!*
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2002, 04:40:37 PM »
I don't know if they're in England or not... but my mother in law's favorite haunt is Pound Stretchers or More stores... there's also What Everyone Wants.

Talkin' seriously cheap-o stuff... but for blank cassette tapes, blank CD-R's, some stationary stuff, some clothing, some garden supplies, some kitchen, candles, some cleaning and bathroom smellies types stuff, junk food... 'Poundies' is pretty good.  I call it the Scot's equivlant to Walmart, or Pik 'n Save, or the Dollar store... whichever you had wherever you lived.

x
Carrie in Scotland
Life is not a dress rehearsal, find your spotlight and don't be upstaged!

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2002, 02:21:34 AM »
As my UK map mind is on the fritz at the moment....are there any places like these near Manchester?

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2002, 02:47:37 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!!  It looks like I'll have a lot of selection!  

Right now, I'll opt for the closest one since I'll be hiking there and lugging it all back!  I'll guess have to get one of those little wheelied things the little old ladies use!
Plus ca change . . . plus c'est la meme chose.

Sponsored Links