Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Science vs. Spiritualism  (Read 4612 times)

Science vs. Spiritualism
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:24:11 AM »
Nicole brought posted a comment in another thread about the "dying brain hallucinating" at the time of death. I was wondering what everyone thinks of that statement.
As a practicing Medium I tend to discount the scientific theories associated with death and the brains hallucinations. I know there is something more on the 'other side'. I always tell clients I read for "The dead are more alive than we are". I have done spiritual readings for people that scared the hell out of me. A few times foreign words and phrases came out of my mouth and I had no idea what I was saying. I don't know exactly how I know the things I do about one's passed loved ones. But I often get very specific information such as "Your grandfather is here and he is telling me about the silvery suit he was buried in and the pack of Wrigleys Doublemint gum you placed in his shirt pocket under his jacket.
I know I am opening a floodgate for a huge debate but I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on science vs. spiritualism. Do you believe this life is the end?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Science vs. Spiritualism
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:30:10 AM »
Do you believe this life is the end?

Very interesting topic!

I do believe life is the end. I have a rationalist's mind and think that there's a scientific explanation for everything. It would be "easier" to think otherwise, but my brain won't let me.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 09:38:01 AM »
This is a great topic and I have so many strong beliefs on it. I say beliefs, because I feel like I just know. I never argue about it because to me there is no arguement. Life is not the end and though I know Science is a true and essential part of the universe, there is more than that.
How you said, Ricki, that you just 'know' things, I completely understand that. What I 'know' has nothing to do with what studying religion, society, my parents or anyone else has taught me. It is just intrinsic. Sounds weird, I guess, but that is the way it is for me.
It is such a personal thing, but for me, life is not "the end." It is just not that simple.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 09:39:30 AM »
  I do believe life is the end. I have a rationalist's mind and think that there's a scientific explanation for everything. It would be "easier" to think otherwise, but my brain won't let me.

I agree.  The interesting thing I have heard about 'near death' experiences from those who report to have had them is the religion-specific or cultural element involved...in that, people see what they are expecting to see based on their cultural background or what faith they practice.  IMO, that points strongly to something going on in the person's brain as to the knowledge/information/belief ingrained in the person -- whether conscious or subconscious.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »
My grandmother is still clinging to this life each day. She is nearly comatose now. But before she got to this point she used to speak of visitors that would come to her room. She spoke of her mother and grandmother and other passed relatives. But the strange thing is she also mentioned her son was there too. Funny because at the time she didnt know her son had passed away. We decided this close to death she just didnt need to know but she did indeed know.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »
I have heard and seen to many freaky things not to believe in Spirtualism....

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:47:47 AM »
How you said, Ricki, that you just 'know' things, I completely understand that. What I 'know' has nothing to do with what studying religion, society, my parents or anyone else has taught me. It is just intrinsic.

I don't mean to pick on you, pkessler, but I think what bugs me is when people say they "know." I believe very strongly in science and rationality, but I would never presume to say I know. Nobody knows. Just my 2-cents.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
Well I guess nobody "knows" but I have a such a strong 6th sense. I havent ever been wrong. So I guess that's about as close as I'll ever get to "knowing".   ;)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 11:33:59 AM »
Well, I have been very "sensitive" since I can remember...and have many thoughts, ideas, "pictures" that come to me seemingly from an outside source. I guess I have always felt that there is something bigger than ourselves, even as a pre-schooler I remember believing that. The "shape" of this something and our relationship to it has changed as I have gotten older.

At this point (age 40) I try not to limit it by trying to define it. I try to have an open mind and be receptive to whatever there is positive around me, whether seen or unseen!

Ok...so that being said, I guess I am leaning towards spiritulism, huh?! I am very scientific however. I separate my physical self from my spiritual self and view myself as a whole combination of the two. I  am not quite sure what that means in the context of this thread, but like I tell my children, we will find out for sure once we leave this physical form behind. If there is nothing, well we won't know it and that will be fine...if we do live on, well that will be fine also!

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
Well, I have been very "sensitive" since I can remember...and have many thoughts, ideas, "pictures" that come to me seemingly from an outside source. I guess I have always felt that there is something bigger than ourselves, even as a pre-schooler I remember believing that. The "shape" of this something and our relationship to it has changed as I have gotten older.

At this point (age 40) I try not to limit it by trying to define it. I try to have an open mind and be receptive to whatever there is positive around me, whether seen or unseen!

Ok...so that being said, I guess I am leaning towards spiritulism, huh?! I am very scientific however. I separate my physical self from my spiritual self and view myself as a whole combination of the two. I  am not quite sure what that means in the context of this thread, but like I tell my children, we will find out for sure once we leave this physical form behind. If there is nothing, well we won't know it and that will be fine...if we do live on, well that will be fine also!

Well said Geally...........here here!

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 12:00:03 PM »
I guess I believe in a bit of both, but more strongly toward the rational/scientific side. I don't think that your soul carries on as you - I don't think I'll be floating around somewhere as "me" after I die. But I do believe that there's an energy that your soul becomes a part of. That sounds too hocus pocus even for me - it's sort of hard to explain. But I do think this is the end of the line for consciousness and obviously for your body (cremation for me, please.)

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 01:21:18 PM »
I don't mean to pick on you, pkessler, but I think what bugs me is when people say they "know." I believe very strongly in science and rationality, but I would never presume to say I know. Nobody knows. Just my 2-cents.

That's fine and like I said, I never argue with people about this. I don't need to. I respect your 2 cents, and that you are not comfortable to say that you know. In the end it is all about what each person is comfortable with. I am, simply, comfortable with what I "know."

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »
I used to consider myself an atheist.  However, in the past couple of years I have started to look at other avenues such as spiritualism.  I'm still not religious but I have visited mediums and I am looking at possible past life experiences.  I believe now that life doesn't end when our body gives out because it has been proven to my satisfaction. 

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rĂªves
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 07:42:30 PM »
Surely there must be something after life, The physical body is just like a coat that is taken off once we die, if this isn't so why is there so much evidence albeit circumstantial,and as mulders poster said I want to believe  :) in fact i do believe
its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »
I would very much like to believe that some part of ourselves continues on after the body dies.  Perhaps there is some sort of "conservation of energy" whereby whatever makes us unique goes on. But, being a scientist, the need for proof tends to be foremost for me.  And there is none. There may be many, many things we do not yet understand about our universe but inability to disprove  a theory does not prove the theory.  ESP, precognizance, telekinesis, etc may have very simple, scientific answers that we are just unable to access yet.  Just as gravity was no less a force before Newton's Laws than after, we may one day find paranormal subjects quite normal.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab