Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: unmarried partner visa renewal (FLR?)  (Read 796 times)

• Liked: 0
unmarried partner visa renewal (FLR?)
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:21:49 PM »
Thanks to everyone who helped me get my unmarried partner visa and my National Insurance Number, you were all a great help!

Obviously, my unmarried partner visa expires in November of this year (it is only good for two years, standard I think for marriage visas and the like.)My partner and I are still together, still in love and still perfectly happy to remain unmarried. I have just bought a house in Surrey and have been working (and paying taxes!) since November of 2004, when my Visa was granted.

So my question is...what next? I am assuming (wrongly?) that this visa should carry the same sort of stipulations as a marriage visa,( i.e. we are still together and can prove it.)...but what steps should I be taking? I am aware i have until Sept of this year, but the last Visa situation was such a palava that I want to get all my ducks in a row long before i have to.

I think that I should apply for an FLR, but am not sure...as this is a bit of an odd visa to have in the first place and information about it can be a bit sparse! Any info or links would be most appreciated..
cheers! ;D

• Liked: 8
Re: unmarried partner visa renewal (FLR?)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 01:23:18 PM »
You'll apply for ILR next.  You can apply up to four weeks before your FLR expires.  The cost is £500 in person (Croydon, Birmingham, Glasgow, or Liverpool) or £335 by post. 

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 01:24:09 PM »
Here's the link to my ILR experience:  http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=17416.0

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:29:02 PM »
I am a bit confused about ILR or FLR, my partner and I have been together for 4 years, and have an unmarried partner visa that run out this November. (it is good for two years)I have been living under this visa, in the UK, with a valid work permit and NI number for two years in November. So does the Home office see us a partners in the married sense? Hmm..how do I put it, as we are a heterosexual couple with nothing to stop us from getting married, but choose not to do so...but am I wrong in looking at this visa in the terms of a spousal or marriage type visa, being that if we were same sex it sort of would be?

So will I be approaching this like a married couple would be, and going for indefinate leave to remain...or is there another 2 year "probational" sort of visa I would be going for, like the further leave to remain? Sorry if this is confusing...I am just confused myself and am trying to plan well ahead for more visa drama come this fall!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 09:45:05 PM »
Is your partner a UK national or on a work permit...I am confused.

Victoria

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 10:53:52 AM »
Okay...I am assuming that when you say you have a 'work permit' you in fact mean that you have a dependent visa which allows you to work.

If this is the case, then you can apply for ILR in November.

Victoria

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:30:59 PM »
thanks for your help, your link to your experience was very helpful and very detailed (just what I need to start sorting out my stuff!) it also (dare I speak too soon ) does not seem to be as excruciating as going for the original, UP visa that I got a while back.

I am unsure though...what does ILR mean? ( I know it means indefinite leave to remain) but does it need to be renewed again in two years time? And if I want to get dual citizenship, where does this place me...i.e. do I wait another two years etc. And also, does this mean I am still on a dependant visa ( as my UP is obviously dependant upon my partner) or is this an independent sort of thing, such as (perish the thought!) for some reason my partner and I split or something, would I be allowed to stay here on my own merit?

( ooh, I do hate to say that...as my partner and I are strong as ever...It is just something I would like to know.)

Thanks for all the help again!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 08:41:44 PM »
I am unsure though...what does ILR mean? ( I know it means indefinite leave to remain) but does it need to be renewed again in two years time? And if I want to get dual citizenship, where does this place me...i.e. do I wait another two years etc.

ILR means you can live here permanently and are no longer subject to immigration control and benefits restrictions.  You don't need to apply for anything else (unless you leave the UK for two years -- you could have to reapply then).  The next thing to apply for is citizenship, but that's optional, of course.   ;)  You can apply for citizenship once you've been here 3-5 years (dunno the year requirement for UPs) and have ILR.

And also, does this mean I am still on a dependant visa ( as my UP is obviously dependant upon my partner) or is this an independent sort of thing, such as (perish the thought!) for some reason my partner and I split or something, would I be allowed to stay here on my own merit?

ILR is for you and isn't dependent on any other visa and lets you live here permanently, whether or not your relationship breaks up.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab