Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 118843 times)

• Fight'em Aggies. Whoop!
  • Liked: 0
  • Location: Waco, Texas (aka We Aint Coming Out), Aggieland USA
Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2005, 10:49:21 PM »
American Fox, what part of London are you working?  I will be in the Thornton Heath area of Croydon in Jan.  I am so nervous about the move, still lots to do but can't do alot until the time draws nearer.  We have our plane tickets though.  Trying to look for primary schools for our 5 year old, husband looking for a job, and trying to see what type of housing is available within our price range.  Were you recruited by a company?  If so which one, and did you like them?  Since you are already over there, how has it been to adjust?  I am so scared that it will be very difficult for me to adjust, and especially for my son.  Any suggestions?

Sheila
SMCJBC

Will arrive in London on January 9th!

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2005, 10:53:34 PM »
I'm not there yet.  I am moving to London, but I am not sure which part yet.  I will be there in 9 days though-so I can certainly give some more advice when I get there.  I am going through a recruitment agency called Uk-Pro.  They are amazing and the director in the US is just lovely.  Don't worry, living in or near London is nice because I hear you can get a lot of American things if you miss them-but they are more expensive.  Also, there are get togethers that happen every so often-so you can get out and meet others outside of work.

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2005, 11:25:26 PM »
AF- so what kind of services does UK-Pro offer, do they offer relocation assistance?, help with finding temp housing, bank accounts and things like that?  I have been recruited by TTM and although my recruiter has been GREAT, I would like to go with the best company that will provide the best support and that will hopefully make the transition better.

Definately keep in touch and post how your transition is once you get settled in.

Sheila
SMCJBC

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2005, 01:49:48 AM »
No relocation assistance, although they point you in the right direction.  They help set up a bank account for you and help with preparation and getting settled.  One of the reasons why I chose this agency was because the director had done this herself and so she has a lot of personal information that they just don't tell you on the web.  If your agency is giving you a relocation package, stay with them if you have a family.  I am single and young, and obviously a little adventurous, so we will see what happens when I arrive and get settled.  I'll keep you up to date.

SOCIAL WORK IN THE UK
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2005, 06:07:30 PM »
Well I made it through my thesis, got my MSW last month, came to the UK and toured for 3 weeks, talked to recruiters from 2 agencies and am as lost as I can be about where in the world to go from here :P
I have read thatthere a few of us pioneers on this board.  I am not great at use of the computer since I have been in what I refer to as "research mode" for the last 2 years and only know how to use silver platter and ebsco host but I am making an effort at getting back to using the computer for other things as well  ;D
Anyways, here is the deal, I want to come to the UK and work, I want to live OUTSIDE of the M25 loop.  I live in Kentucky for Gods sake, I am not use to the big city, although I LOVED London on my trip, I have an 11 year old who is even less of a city girl then I.
I am looking to network (gotta use some of those good SW terms...ha ha).  I am in hopes I can meet a few other social workers who are either going through the process as I am or who are already there.  I guess we can all learn from eachother and together in this process!
Anyone know about Sanctuary recruitment?  That is who I am talking with at present.
Progress is not automatic; the world grows better because people wish that it should, and take the right steps to make it better.
-- Jane Addams --

Re: SOCIAL WORK IN THE UK
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2005, 07:08:35 PM »
Hello, there is another thread, i beleive calling all social workers here on uk yankee that has several of us that are coming over to the uk through recruiting companies or are already over there working.  I am currently being recruited by TTM which have been awsome!  They pay for relocation up to 3000 pounds and offer some other things.  Kate Woods is the person to contact.

Sheila
SMCJBC

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2005, 08:12:09 PM »
I can't tell ya'll (now there is a word not heard in the UK) how glad I am to have found this site.  I have just finished my MSW and came to tour the UK for 3 weeks (got home Monday) and found this site.  I talked to a recruiter and talk about the pressure to get back to the UK and work. 
Anyways, I left a post on another link and someone pointed me here (THANKS).  I feel so overwhelmed and unsure on where to turn next.  I have an 11 year old who will be coming with me.  I am a single mom who is striking out on the world.  like some of you, my friends and family think I have lost it.  I always have marched to my own drum though...might be why I am a social worker  :-*
It is GREAT to know I am not alone here in my quest though and invite you to email me Renea_MSW@hotmail.com
I would like to work and live in a more rural area but not like some of the villages I toured.  While they were really cool to see, I would go as nuts in a very remote rural village as I would a big ole city. 
Looking forward to chatting and sharing laughs!
Progress is not automatic; the world grows better because people wish that it should, and take the right steps to make it better.
-- Jane Addams --

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2005, 08:23:52 PM »
AmericanFox- are you there yet? Looking forward to hearing all about your social work experiences in the UK. :)
Liz
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 06:21:28 AM by augie »
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2005, 06:02:10 AM »
I am glad we are making the "social worker" connection! I won't  be coming over until the end of August but I definitely want to connect with social workers in the London area. (I will be living and working in Swindon). Hopefully I will be visiting London often and it would be nice to meet and talk with social workers in the BIG CITY!!!! Plus, selfishly, it would be nice to have a buddy to go out on the town with . . . .

Cheryl

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »
Ok y'all, I'm heerreeeee!  I had the worst day of my life yesterday, so sad and homesick.  But today I am ok.  I am getting around the city alright and I have an interview tomorrow afternoon, so I will keep everyone posted of what it's like. 

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2005, 02:01:36 AM »
Best of luck AF!! I hope to be joining you all in the near future!

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2005, 06:38:43 PM »
A big THANKS to several of you who suggested TTM.  I got a call from them today and the recruiter I spoke with was great to talk with and seemed optimistic that they can provide me with the direction and placement I am looking for.  When looking outside of London I was starting to worry that it was not going to happen and the recruiter company I worked with seemed to want to rush things a bit more then I wanted as well.  TTM thus far seems to be the company that I can work with.  Thanks again and I will keep ya'll posted..

Soooo happy to have found this site, I don't feel so alone in my plight  :-*
-- Jane Addams --

• Friday is Hawaiian shirt day!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2005, 11:14:43 PM »
Hello Fellow Social Workers,

I have asked this question in the housing thread, but I thought i would ask here also.

I am looking into coming to London to start working as a Social Worker.  I have my MSW from Univ of Texas - Arlington, and am already registered with the GSCC.  I am looking to come this Winter.

My question is about housing.  Clearly this will be our greatest expense.  I will be coming over with my wife.
 In some of the promotional materials I have received from various boroughs has mentioned the Key Worker Programme.

My question is, does anyone here participate in the programme?  The section I am most interested in is the intermediate renting.  It seems from the website that this programme is available to Social Workers.

Here are links to the info:
http://www.keyworkerliving.co.uk/
http://www.direct.gov.uk/HomeAndCommunity/BuyingAndSellingYourHome/HomeBuyingSchemes/BuyingSchemesArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4001345&chk=RM9Qsx

Thank you so much for all your help,
Josh
"Being president is like running a cemetery: you've got a lot of people under you and nobody's listening." –Bill Clinton

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2005, 12:10:34 AM »
Hello everyone!!

A girl from work accept a job in London as a SW. We both worked at the same child welfare agency and I have been interested for sometime about moving overseas. She recommeded the agency she went through BBT. I have sent them an email to get the process started. Has anyone else worked with them? What did you think about them. I have so many questions about moving, finding housing, life in general. I am so happy to have found this board!!!
~Amanda

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.... year after year"

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2005, 03:29:51 AM »
Hello Fellow Social Workers,

I have asked this question in the housing thread, but I thought i would ask here also.

I am looking into coming to London to start working as a Social Worker.  I have my MSW from Univ of Texas - Arlington, and am already registered with the GSCC.  I am looking to come this Winter.

My question is about housing.  Clearly this will be our greatest expense.  I will be coming over with my wife.
 In some of the promotional materials I have received from various boroughs has mentioned the Key Worker Programme.

My question is, does anyone here participate in the programme?  The section I am most interested in is the intermediate renting.  It seems from the website that this programme is available to Social Workers.

Here are links to the info:
http://www.keyworkerliving.co.uk/
http://www.direct.gov.uk/HomeAndCommunity/BuyingAndSellingYourHome/HomeBuyingSchemes/BuyingSchemesArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4001345&chk=RM9Qsx

Thank you so much for all your help,
Josh

Hi Josh. I looked at the site and it is necessary for you to have ILR for this type of housing assistance. I believe that you need to work, or just live, in the UK on a visa(work permit, spousal,etc) for 4 years before you are eligible for ILR. Several of the local authorities that I have researched have lower cost housing for government employees. I don't know how great it is but it is offered at a reduced rate-like 250GBP/mo. for a 2 bedroom flat.

There are many knowledgeable people on these boards who have limitless info for you, just keep asking. :)
Good luck with your move.

Liz
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links