Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mold and Mildew Problems?  (Read 2863 times)

• Liked: 0
Mold and Mildew Problems?
« on: August 28, 2002, 12:58:07 PM »
I have a weird sort of problem. I have a sore on my breast that the Doctor says is mold. I have never had this sort of problem before and don't want it to happen again. The Doctor has told me to use my Husbands after shave lotion to kill this mold. She said it will go away in time. Any one else had this happen to them? Weird..I know!!!

Re: Mold and Mildew Problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 01:19:38 PM »
What?!  Mold on your skin?  Surely that's impossible!  

I've never heard of such a thing.  You sure you shouldn't be getting a second opinion??

I'll be interested to hear if that remedy works....just in case!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 01:34:34 PM »
???

Reminds me of the time a doctor told me to put butter on a 2nd degree burn. (Gads I hope he's not still practicing.)

I have never heard of getting mold on a body part, other than athlete's foot. And even then I don't think I'd call it "mold" (more like "fungus"*). I don't want to embarrass you by asking you to describe it. But I am rather floored by this! Especially what he's prescribed as the cure! Me? I am allergic to aftershaves...would make any potential mold worse, not better. Is it because of the alcohol content?

If it is like athlete's foot, then wouldn't an antifungal cream be so much better?

* I know, I know, all molds are fungi, but not all fungi are molds, just that when talking body parts, mold sounds strange.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 01:43:34 PM »
Whoa ....
Okay please forgive me if you are very close to your doctor but he/she sounds like a total fruitcake !!!! There are certain types of fungus or yeast infections you can get on varying parts of the skin or body (especially if your bra might be retaining moisture in that area) but shaving cream !!! No no you would need an anti-fungal agent. Did she give you an actual medcial name for this condition of any kind ??
and Lisa's right if you don't feel uncomfortable can you describe it (symptons can be run through some medical sites if you want ..dermatology med centers often have training and lists of such symptons for med students or residents ... if you give us a clue I maybe able to help you here)
Red
You're a daisy if you do........

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 02:01:20 PM »
Okay Tay forgive me here but I'm attaching a link you should look at.
I worked with doc's in medical research (this is what I did for them ... find info ) and your question and your doc's response to it just really bothered me. Here is a link you should read. I was incorrect - some fungul infections can be classified as mold. However it's not okay for it to just be there. You should (according to this and I'd really read it and get a second opinion) have been given some medicine - period. 2nd, unless they know why it's there in the first place (you're diabectic and you've gotten them before for example) - they should  have ordered bloodwork. You don't just get this randomly or we'd all be getting mold infections from gardening. They need to check and find out why it's there, for petes sake !!!  (It's probably something really simple .. like you could just be run down .. maybe you need to go on vitamins, etc .. however they need to check! That's their job! )

Sorry for the rant but lazy docs like this just make me aggro. I fought too many early on with one of my kids ... I've learned if it doesn't sound right .. 95% of the time it isn't !!!

http://www.dermatologychannel.net/fungalinfections/treatment.shtml

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 03:33:50 PM »
First,thanks to all of you for responding to this. I do appreciate them. I have a phone call in to my GP to ask more questions now. Believe me it scared me. Having some one tell me  that I have a mold on your breast is weird.
fiestylilredhead,I am going to ask GP about blood work to see if this is diabetic or if I am run down and just need vitamins of some sort.  Thanks for the website you mentioned.
I had never heard of such a thing either. I am doing research on the net to see what all I can find.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2002, 10:56:02 PM »
Got a second opinion from different Gp. He told me I have a septic infection and gave me a prescription for a cream. All so wants to run some other tests to see what is going on with my system.
Do all the British have to pay for their prescriptions? Just curious. I know I pay £6.20. Not bad for medicines.

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2002, 11:29:21 PM »
Got a second opinion from different Gp. He told me I have a septic infection and gave me a prescription for a cream. All so wants to run some other tests to see what is going on with my system.
Do all the British have to pay for their prescriptions? Just curious. I know I pay £6.20. Not bad for medicines.

Hey I've been thinking about you ....
I'm very glad to hear you found a Doc with a brain.  ('just use aftershave' -insert loud obscenity ... >:( ) I remember somewhere in this section a discussion about prescription prices ... and exemptions ... of course all I remember distinctly was the prescriptions were amazingly cheap!

Good luck on your blood work Tay .. oh and take your medicine properly young lady .. septic infection is nothing to mess around with !  ;)

big hugs-
Dr. Mom

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2002, 01:15:38 PM »
I suspect the first GP suggested after shave lotion as the alcohol would help dry the sore/mold out and deprive it of moisture.  She probably just suggested a product which was likely to be in your home.  But really,... mold???  What was she thinking?  Well done getting a second opinion.  I hope the cream is helping and your tests go well.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab