Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Posted my Citizenship Application!  (Read 1970 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Posted my Citizenship Application!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 02:02:57 PM »
are you charged to have this ROA stamp put into your US passport?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 02:24:40 PM »

Thanks Garry, that is very useful information to know about.

Blondshania, do keep us posted on your timelines!  :)

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 02:20:03 PM »
YAY! FInally at your last hurdle, then FREEDOM! I can't wait to not have to fill out visa paperwork. ;D

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 08:21:13 PM »
I checked the immigration website and it seems everyone was trying to get their apps in before Nov 2005 so they didnt have to take the test!!! so those apps wont be completed until June 05 which is like 8 months..wow...so who knows when my app will be completed....

i guess the good thing is that you are supposed to get your passport back within 4 weeks..which is coming up for me...that way we can do some travelling while we wait for the app to be approved...

My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 08:41:29 PM »
I checked the immigration website and it seems everyone was trying to get their apps in before Nov 2005 so they didn't have to take the test!!!

Yeah, that's the problem for the big backlog...there are a lot of folks (not all that applied of course) that don't want to have to learn the English language and take a test. Hmm....I can't imagine living in a country and not doing so. I work with a guy who's mom is 70 and his dad is 80 and neither have of them have learned to speak English (and they have been in the UK for 33 years)...I can't imagine  ???

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 09:21:41 PM »
I don't understand why people think that gaining British citizenship somehow takes away from their American-ness?  I got mine and I don't feel any less American.  It's not as if you have to give up your American citizenship.

But I think you will really kick yourself if you move back to the US for a few years and then want to move back to Britain.  You will have to go through the whole process again getting spousal visas, paying lots of money.  The flexibility and carefreeness of simply deciding that I want to be in one country or the other without any immigration getting in the way far outweighs any thoughts of degrading my citizenship (not that I feel that it does).

But perhaps it's because I'm not jingoistic either?  I just see the dual citizenship as a win-win situation.
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 09:24:10 PM »
I don't understand why people think that gaining British citizenship somehow takes away from their American-ness?  I got mine and I don't feel any less American.  It's not as if you have to give up your American citizenship.

...The flexibility and carefreeness of simply deciding that I want to be in one country or the other without any immigration getting in the way far outweighs any thoughts of degrading my citizenship (not that I feel that it does).

...I just see the dual citizenship as a win-win situation.

Totally agree, Matt.  I am so pleased to have dual citizenship....it really opens up a lot of doors...
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 09:37:36 PM »
If it's any comfort ..... I filed my application on the 6th February, received my letter of acceptance on 28th February and have arranged for a private citizenship ceremony for the 20th May.  Could have done it sooner (in March), but wanted my children to take part in the service, therefore arranged a private event. 

GOOD LUCK !
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 09:43:34 PM »

That was really quick! Congrats!   :)

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 09:48:10 PM »
I just see the dual citizenship as a win-win situation.

Yep,  I agree.  I am waiting to get my third citizenship,  though have to wait (and it could be a looooong wait) for lazy Indian government got off their bums to pass the dual nationality rule into law.   ::)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 10:00:20 PM »
If it's any comfort ..... I filed my application on the 6th February, received my letter of acceptance on 28th February and have arranged for a private citizenship ceremony for the 20th May. Could have done it sooner (in March), but wanted my children to take part in the service, therefore arranged a private event.

GOOD LUCK !

<offtopic> :o ItsBcoz! Good to see you! *hugs*  And congrats. ;D</offtopic>

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 10:08:14 AM »
Thanks Leah  .... I do sneak a peek every so often. 
 [smiley=hug.gif]  back atcha !
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2006, 09:21:13 PM »
Congratulations!!  I am glad to hear that it all happened so quickly...I actually posted my application around Feb 20th and still havent heard anything as of yet...I am hoping that they will send my passport back soon so we can book a holiday...did you know when they contacted your references?  I have asked mine and they have not heard anything yet....

thanks

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 04:19:25 PM »
kinda thought they would contact the references ..... but they didn't. 

don't know if it made a difference in the "time scale" (seems like it did) but I went to Maidstone to the Nationality Checking Agency, had to pay a little extra for the service but was handed back my passport, birth certificates, etc. right then and there.
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 07:44:47 PM »
Oh I see....I posted everything directly to Liverpool and am hoping that i get my passports back soon in case i want to book a holiday...i thought maybe you have lived longer in the UK then i have so it mite have went through quicker? 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab