Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: [SPLIT]Expenses in the UK  (Read 5789 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
[SPLIT]Expenses in the UK
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »
Sadly, beer is a little more than £2.50 if you are in London...I am lucky to get away with less than £3, and when you drink as much beer as i do, that gets expensive....

Scotland is a little cheaper.

Victoria

• Liked: 2
Re: I need to hear good things about the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:21:55 AM »
The comment I keep hearing from Americans AND Brits who live here(US) is "it's more expensive to live in the UK."  I know that the $ is weak v. the pound, and that petrol is sky-high.  What about every day life?  How about utilities, cable, and the like?  I remember from my trips that food was reasonable, and a pint was at most 2 pound 50.

Everything is expensive. Every. Damn. Thing. The exchange rate, we always joke, is "dollars to pounds." Whatever it is in dollars in the States, it will be in pounds in the UK. Sometimes worse. Considering the current exchange rate is like $1.75/£1, and salaries are lower, that's no good at all.

One exception! Just to get this thread back on track: Tampax is both cheaper and better made in the UK. There! Feel better? I know I do!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 11:53:26 AM »
Everything is expensive. Every. Damn. Thing. The exchange rate, we always joke, is "dollars to pounds." Whatever it is in dollars in the States, it will be in pounds in the UK. Sometimes worse. Considering the current exchange rate is like $1.75/£1, and salaries are lower, that's no good at all.

I really have to disagree. It's totally regional and depends on where you're coming from in the US (i.e., what you're used to spending). My rent in the UK is half what it was in the US, and I live in a much bigger place than I did in the US.

I think that on average, it is more expensive here. But if you're coming from a pricey urban part of the US and are settling somewhere rural in the UK, you'll be surprised how much money you'll save!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 02:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I do remember from several of my trips that the pints were more expensive in London, especially round the train Station and Piccadilly.  But then on a recent trip to NY I paid $4.50 for a bagel across the street from Penn Station.  I have a seperate line item in my budget for bitter.  I just won't have more than a few bottles of lager in the frig. 
One of the things I will be glad to leave behind is this total materialistic society here in the States.  Without getting into a political-economical dscussion, there is a reason that alot of things are less expensive here.  And the UK is probably better off because things like petrol, plasticwares, and so many of the "modern conveniences" we are used to in the States ARE more expensive.  The Britain that I have experenced is more laid-back, less fake and has a better outlook on life.  Life is not about eating intto your huge SUV(the size of some flats n Londdon) and going food shopping at the mega mart and bringing home plastic bags and boxes of processed ready-to-eat junk. Look at the ingredients!!  And from a male perspective, I like the fact that British women don't load on a ton of makeup and perfume.  American women didn't either until after WWII when the cosmetic industry surged into their lives. 
Sorry diddn't mean to go off on a rant.  I do need to get an idea on utilities and have not found a website that I can look up electricity, water, gas, cable etc.  If annyone has just paid their bills and can give me an idea of the costs and the size of abode you are in, it would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking for info on rented as well as owned-homes.
Thanks for the replies.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »
Have a look round the site -- I'm sure there have been threads in the past about people's budgets over here.  Here's one:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=10417.0

I know there have been others.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:03:27 PM by carolyn_b »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I do remember from several of my trips that the pints were more expensive in London, especially round the train Station and Piccadilly.  But then on a recent trip to NY I paid $4.50 for a bagel across the street from Penn Station.  I have a seperate line item in my budget for bitter.  I just won't have more than a few bottles of lager in the frig. 
One of the things I will be glad to leave behind is this total materialistic society here in the States.  Without getting into a political-economical dscussion, there is a reason that alot of things are less expensive here.  And the UK is probably better off because things like petrol, plasticwares, and so many of the "modern conveniences" we are used to in the States ARE more expensive.  The Britain that I have experenced is more laid-back, less fake and has a better outlook on life.  Life is not about eating intto your huge SUV(the size of some flats n Londdon) and going food shopping at the mega mart and bringing home plastic bags and boxes of processed ready-to-eat junk. Look at the ingredients!!  And from a male perspective, I like the fact that British women don't load on a ton of makeup and perfume.  American women didn't either until after WWII when the cosmetic industry surged into their lives. 
Sorry diddn't mean to go off on a rant.  I do need to get an idea on utilities and have not found a website that I can look up electricity, water, gas, cable etc.  If annyone has just paid their bills and can give me an idea of the costs and the size of abode you are in, it would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking for info on rented as well as owned-homes.
Thanks for the replies.

Water rates are 200-250 pounds a year, if you are on a meter and living alone it will be cheaper.
Living alone in a 1 or 2 bed terrace or flat your energy costs (elec and/or gas- many flats dont have gas) will total in the realms of 50 quid a month, if your energy efficient you can get that down.  Add up to 25% for a large house or energy slack lifestyle.
A 2meg cable line will cost you between 20 and 25, TV anything from a fiver to 40 quid depending on your viewing habits and about a tenner a month for a landline phone.
If you're liable for council tax it is likely to be between 1000 and 1500 pounds a year, a 1 or 2 bed property being at the lower end.
Rent varies so hugely on location I cant comment because if you have posted a possible location somewhere I've not read it.  Hope that helps.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 09:14:43 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

I live in a 2-bed rented flat in the City in London.  I pay about 75 pounds every 3 months for water, about the same for electricity, and a lot more for the phone because we have been calling the US/India on it.  But that will probably go down now.  We don't have a TV so no cable.  We pay about 15 pounds a month for broadband.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

don't move to london if you are expecting a non-materialistic ethos, women not wearing too much make up or perfume, and people being 'non' fake  and laid back.  (  i also see loads of brits at the huge supermarkets where i shop filling their cars with crap food and driving home fwiw)   london can be fantastic, but yes, the beer is expensive...... and the bagels are pretty bad and very expensive too!

we are in a 3 br 1600 sq foot apartment. electricity is about £65 per month. heat is provided by building. sky cable tv is £40 (can be as low as £20) per month.  a north american sports channel is an extra £15 per month.  broadband is £20 per month. phone is £50 because i call a lot. mobile phones for 2 are £30 per month, depending on calls. on street resident parking is £100 per year.  council tax is £200 per month. water is unknown.....

Re: [SPLIT]Expenses in the UK
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »
Sorry I didn't say where my ddesstination location will be, but most probably will not be London.  I've had enough big city and would love mid size urban living, eiter Wales or Scotland.  I would definitly visit London, as it has so much to offer, even with the 4 quid pints!

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 10:44:08 PM »

One exception! Just to get this thread back on track: Tampax is both cheaper and better made in the UK. There! Feel better? I know I do!

Having lived in the UK and the US I have to say I think to a large extent this is a long lived fallacy, and the UK base is West London so it's not rural England Im comparing the US with.  High quality goods are just as, if not more expensive in the US.  Whilst petrol may be more expensive here I spend considerably less on it than I ever had to in the US.  Utilities are cheaper, food (and decent food) is a lot cheaper.  Household goods and pharmaceuticals/cosmetics etc are no more expensive.  And after all the levels of taxation levied in the Commonwealth of VA and the feds have had their sticky fingers on the pay cheque even the taxes weren't that much cheaper.  Maybe VA was particularly expensive, I couldnt see why it should be though.

Salaries in general are not economically lower they are numerically lower, and that is because you need more dollars to live the same quality of life.  You also have to pay for everything in the US, my pills for eg were going to cost $35 a month, here they are free.  High council tax here on expensive properties is about 2K anually, in the US you're looking at 5K dollars plus.  US minimum wage $5.40, UK minimum wage £5.05 - when 800g of sandwich bread costs between 40 and 80p compared to $3-4 I know where I'd rather be living on the minimum wage!

Even my USC OH now admits its not all that much cheaper, even though he won't be swayed on the taxation issue and insists we go to FL and not pay states taxes at all  :P

That said if you live a very petrol, alcohol and cigarette heavy lifestyle here you will get mullered on duties ..  or you're earning hundreds of thousands of pounds .. in which case you hire an accountant and familiarise yourself with tax efficient off-shore accounts  ;D

More people are better off in the UK but less people are very rich.  The wealth distribution figures in the US are quite astonishing, then I suppose that depends on your socio-political standing to start with .. but I digress.  For most people within "normal" income brackets the COL when comparing similar areas UK/US isnt that much different.

Wales and Scotland and England are all very different ball games, particularly culturally, employment opportunities in wales and scotland are more than likely going to have you living in or near the regional capitals and major cities anyway so I wouldnt rule out the more provincial towns and cities of england if they provide you with better job prospects!  Good luck!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 11:03:47 PM »
Having lived in the UK and the US I have to say I think to a large extent this is a long lived fallacy, and the UK base is West London so it's not rural England Im comparing the US with.

Well, I don't know where you guys are shopping, but I should find out before I move for good. I'm comparing Boston  (US) to South London and the South coast, plus online shopping for electronics, over a ten year period.

The prices in grocery stores in the UK make me want to weep. Especially meat. Even if I convince myself those are dollars I'm looking at, it still doesn't soothe me. Electronics, computers: ditto. Clothes, too. Cars. Appliances.

Rent and utilities so far haven't been my worry, so maybe that's where it all comes out in the wash. But I always arrive in the UK laden with MP3 players and Levi's to bribe the natives.

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 05:42:27 PM »
don't move to london if you are expecting a non-materialistic ethos, women not wearing too much make up or perfume, and people being 'non' fake  and laid back.  (  i also see loads of brits at the huge supermarkets where i shop filling their cars with crap food and driving home fwiw)   london can be fantastic, but yes, the beer is expensive...... and the bagels are pretty bad and very expensive too!

Er....hang on a minute!  Where in London are *you* from???

As a non-materialistic London woman, who doesn't wear too much make up, wears no perfume, and is not 'fake' and is totally laid back (well, most of the time!), I take great objection to this!  People are different everywhere, don't label Londoners in such a bad light please!

The best baegels in the world can be found in London, in the Jewish areas of Brick Lane or Golders Green.

Victoria

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 06:34:58 PM »
Thanks to all of you in helping me to put together a projected budget.  This is VERY helpful.  It is always amusing to get information from people actually "on-the-scene" and compare  to the general perceptions.
I understtand that there will be many differences in the way things are in the UK, but that's why I want to live there.  If it were the same as the US, what would be the point? It's called learning and exercising the mind.  I'm sure at various times it WILL involve exercising the pocketbook, but that happens here too.
And I am sorry for starting a row between Londoners.  I'm sure that like NYC, there are ALL sorts in London.  Looks as thouggh when I visit London I'll owe you, Victoria, a pint and a bagel. 
Cheers!

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »
Er....hang on a minute!  Where in London are *you* from???

As a non-materialistic London woman, who doesn't wear too much make up, wears no perfume, and is not 'fake' and is totally laid back (well, most of the time!), I take great objection to this!  People are different everywhere, don't label Londoners in such a bad light please!

The best baegels in the world can be found in London, in the Jewish areas of Brick Lane or Golders Green.

Victoria

hi victoria; i wasn't intending to offend, as i , too, am a londoner who describes herself as you do.  i just wanted to make sure the OP knows that the london that many expats move into (definitely not a british scene, but a london specific one) can be just as bad as the OP described the US to be..... this is from my experience (corporate transfer) and experiences of other nationality expat friends who have moved here.   it can take a good long while for a london expat to find an alternative to that prada / gucci scene, in the meantime they may have to deal with lots of materialistic , fake.... people of all nationalities who live in london.  i didn't find a different scene until having a baby and getting involved in baby groups and schools. usually, that has meant meeting others who are permanently settled here (sometimes brit, sometimes not)  i know many single, or 'without child' expats who have been here for years and have not easily found a comfortable alternative to fit into..... as you said, people are different, and the same, anywhere you look.  The same could be true in NY or Tokyo.  Someone who moved to London expecting to find the same  mindset and type of people that one has encountered on short trips to england might be sorely disappointed though.....

i think a true nyer (not me, definitely) might quibble over east london versus  NY bagel superiority... and i think any bagel that i paid £4 should be scrumptious, and that is not often the case here, but i am from nc and know nothing about bagels......

as a reference for budget info, we live in east london, wapping, on the river near canary wharf. i do my shopping at waitrose, with weekly trips in my car to big Tescos and Sainsbury.  as we are moving back to the US in the near future, i have done comparison grocery shopping in both UK and US , and have noted that for what we buy, which is  quality non prepared food,  the UK is more expensive. that is in comparison to NC (much cheaper) and Northern VA and Westchester NY (average of 25% cheaper.)  most non-food items i have checked are dollar to pound equal; if it's $1 there it's £1 here.  i tend to check places like target / walmart in the US which have similar prices in all 3 US locations.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »
You paid £4 for a bagel?!  ???   :-X

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab