Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American Photographer in the UK :)  (Read 25517 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: American Photographer in the UK :)
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 08:36:07 AM »
Hey! Have you got your feet on UK soil yet? ;). Be prepared, it's not a career, it's a lifestyle, lol.  I am hoping for a weekend off after September. It's crazy this time of the year. Thanks for that, I have a new site that I have been working on for months, but can't seem to find the time to work on it.  The sites are badly in need of updating, but the blog is getting there. We are only 3 months behind on it, and I have a gaggle of brides bugging me to update it, lol.

Email me if you need any advice or encouragement. The UK market is so different from the American.

Good luck, and welcome to the UK!

Teri

Sent you a PM Teri...  :D
Yes, I am here and just trying to get used to this crazy Geordie accent!  LOL... once I get that mastered, I plan to look for a job and then later on, I might look into doing a few small weddings up here in the Northeast for a side job... we will see if I have the time for it once I get settled in!  Good luck with your crazy, hectic lifestyle, but I'm glad you get to do something you love to do, and making people smile always makes one feel good about what they are doing....

• God only knows what i'd be without you
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 05:10:49 AM »
AHHH I love your work and we're getting married in Brighton, but alas I don't think DF will go for the pricing and you seem to be booked on the day we might do it :(

I'll talk to him tonight anyways.

• Jewlz

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »
AHHH I love your work and we're getting married in Brighton, but alas I don't think DF will go for the pricing and you seem to be booked on the day we might do it :(

I'll talk to him tonight anyways.

Wedding photos are usually a bit expensive, but worth it. It's the most important "souvenir" you have of your day, and something you will be showing to loads of people over time, so definitely worth spending a bit extra to get good results. I've heard horror stories of people hiring someone because of the low price, then the photographer completely lost ALL of the photos, which would be heartbreaking. Of all the things to spend money on for a wedding, the photography is the most important, IMO. In our case, we were a bit lucky, since I have lots of photographer friends, so a close friend who is also a professional wedding photographer did everything for free as a gift. But I wouldn't have hesitated to spend quite a bit on the photos if I had to. Just remind him that you will be looking back on those pics in 30 years time, and you would like them to be timeless!  ;) You can get great photos, even of a small wedding - we only had 8 guests, and I love the photos that reflect how intimate our ceremony and reception was.

• God only knows what i'd be without you
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »
Wedding photos are usually a bit expensive, but worth it. It's the most important "souvenir" you have of your day, and something you will be showing to loads of people over time, so definitely worth spending a bit extra to get good results. I've heard horror stories of people hiring someone because of the low price, then the photographer completely lost ALL of the photos, which would be heartbreaking. Of all the things to spend money on for a wedding, the photography is the most important, IMO. In our case, we were a bit lucky, since I have lots of photographer friends, so a close friend who is also a professional wedding photographer did everything for free as a gift. But I wouldn't have hesitated to spend quite a bit on the photos if I had to. Just remind him that you will be looking back on those pics in 30 years time, and you would like them to be timeless!  ;) You can get great photos, even of a small wedding - we only had 8 guests, and I love the photos that reflect how intimate our ceremony and reception was.

I agree 100% but with all the immigration costs and all the other things we've had to spend money on it's just hard.

• Jewlz

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 10:55:49 AM »
I agree 100% but with all the immigration costs and all the other things we've had to spend money on it's just hard.

Yeah, I definitely can understand that, too!  :-\\\\

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
When are you looking to have the wedding? This year is a bit insane for us, but you never know. :) I totally understand about the immigration costs,, I moved here 8 years ago, and am very lucky things were alot less expensive back then.

Email me and if I can help by recommending someone ( I know alot of photographers) or sharing what to look for when shopping for a photographer over here, I'd be happy to.

You will find all sorts of packages, and costs, so much so that its' confusing to know what to actually expect to get for your money. Also photographic styles vary, the level of skill also varies from one photographer to another,  which helps with the confusion.

We say that it's a good idea to visit a few before deciding, usually you can get an idea after seeing 3 photographers. Meet them in person, you will be spending alot of time with them on the day, so you want to be sure you are comfortable with them. Some will include a pre-wedding photosession, which is great because you get to spend time with the photographer, see how they will work with you, and feel more secure that they can photograph you to your best.

While it isn't a sure fire way of pre-qualifying your photographer, it is a good idea to check if they belong to a professional organization. They are bound by the code of ethics of that organization. We belong to the Master Photographer Association, but there are others out there.

Be sure to view a few weddings of varying lighting conditions to see how they handle challenging situations.

We are in Bournemouth, so about in the middle between where you are in Devon and Brighton, lol.

One thing we do, is to have an Encore session after the wedding. We have had a few couples do this a few months after the wedding, and a few who were married overseas, who just want to do an 'arty' type photosession after having the wedding. This is a bit different than a 'Trash the Dress' photosession,, it's more like an Encore, arty, not dirty, lol.

Seriously, this is what I do 24/7, so don't hesitate to bug me for advice :)

Teri

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »
I've bookmarked your website in case I need it (fingers crossed!).  I was a bit disappointed not to see any older couples, though. 

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks for that :) I'll cross my fingers for you too!

I have alot of content to add to the new flash site to try and keep it more balanced between all ages of couples etc, but on the previous one, we did have a couple who I guess could be called 'older', lol. It's fair to say most of our clients are from age 21 to 40ish.

There will be new blog entries coming up to feature some couples that are in the upper age range, so keep the blog bookmarked for new additions, and check on our facebook page too :) There is a link to the facebook page on the blogsite, so you can bookmark it and become a fan :) At the moment, it's deep in wedding season, so keeping up on the updates has been put on the back burner a bit. I appreciate the nudge tho, it reminds me I do need to get my skates on! :)

I havn't had an American/Brit couple in about two years, so tell your other half that Now is Definately the Time ;)

Teri

Sponsored Links