Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help answering difficult interview questions  (Read 38164 times)

Re: Help answering difficult interview questions
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 04:26:59 PM »
Very useful information! Thanks Caligirl! I jotted down a few key things that Im sure will come in handy on Thursday's interview!

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 04:37:16 PM »
Great list Cali,wish I'd seen that sooner!

If you don't mind I'll add a couple as well

In a lot of customer service positions they'll also ask :

Give one example of when you provided excellent customer service

basically they're asking for an example where you went beyond your customer service role and did more to help a customer then whats expected

Give one example where you couldn't meet the customers needs, What did you do? What was the end result?
For this one,I usually give an example of when a customer asks for something that can't be done due to company rules & regulations i.e. when I working in banking they wanted all sorts of fees waived

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 01:04:48 PM »
I just have to say these questions REALLY helped my husband last week when he went on a job interview.  He asked a couple of the questions and they were really impressed and said they hadn't been asked those questions yet.  Also, I forgot if someone else mentioned this, but it is VERY important to send a thank you letter after the interview.  I think it really sets one apart from other applicants, as not many people do this.

Wish my husband luck, as the job is TWICE as much as he gets now and *free* private health insurance for both of us!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 01:33:13 PM »
I just have to say these questions REALLY helped my husband last week when he went on a job interview.  He asked a couple of the questions and they were really impressed and said they hadn't been asked those questions yet.  Also, I forgot if someone else mentioned this, but it is VERY important to send a thank you letter after the interview.  I think it really sets one apart from other applicants, as not many people do this.

Wish my husband luck, as the job is TWICE as much as he gets now and *free* private health insurance for both of us!

Let me know when i should be expecting my commission check in the post for helping him do a stellar job in the interview.   :P  ;)

btw...i hope he gets the job too!!  ;D

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 01:36:57 PM »
Let me know when i should be expecting my commission check in the post for helping him do a stellar job in the interview.   :P  ;)

btw...i hope he gets the job too!!  ;D

hehehe :)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 07:14:11 PM »
  Also, I forgot if someone else mentioned this, but it is VERY important to send a thank you letter after the interview.  I think it really sets one apart from other applicants, as not many people do this.

As far as I know, thank you letters are not sent in the UK.  Someone at a UK employment agency I discussed this with had never even heard of them.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 09:02:16 PM »
I was wondering about the standard for interview thank yous in the UK.  I actually had a prospective employer call me to thank me for sending the thank you.  She must've just been that shocked.

Even if it's not usually done here, at least it shows that you're really interested in the position, and it sets you apart from the other applicants.  I think it's an especially useful tool if the position you're seeking has anything to do with building relationships and rapport.
Bored

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »
I know the 'thank yous' aren't really done here, so I figure if you do it - either they'll be really pleased/shocked to receive one, or else it'll be 'look what the weird American did'. :P
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 10:39:25 PM »
To be honest, if someone did this for a job I was interviewing for, I would think 'weird' and also that you were sucking up.  I would definitely recommend not doing it.

Vicky

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 04:30:02 PM »
I've heard that it projects the image of "pushy American" too much.

Also, if you are new to the UK, I'd think that you want to show that you can fit in to the workplace by doing things the way they are done in a British workplace, rather than in an American workplace.  Even though the prospective employer might see  sending a thank you letter as a nice gesture, they might also worry that you don't understand  how things are done the "British way".

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 08:23:58 PM »
I agree with both Vicky's and Sweetpeach's comments above.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 10:12:22 PM »

I have to admit that even over in the states, aside from the late 80's when we still did things by letter and I was trying to get my first few jobs, I haven't done it since, especially in this throw away type of world that we are in now. I always I felt uncomfortable about it. No offense to those that have done it!  Sorry to say that...but in my gut, I thought...yikes..not something I really want to do, it just felt fake. On the flip side when I was interviewing people years later and if I got a thank you note, it made no difference as to whether I wanted to hire that person or not, it was their qualifications and whether they were a good fit.

Just my take on things.

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »
I have to admit that even over in the states, aside from the late 80's when we still did things by letter and I was trying to get my first few jobs, I haven't done it since, especially in this throw away type of world that we are in now. I always I felt uncomfortable about it. No offense to those that have done it!  Sorry to say that...but in my gut, I thought...yikes..not something I really want to do, it just felt fake. On the flip side when I was interviewing people years later and if I got a thank you note, it made no difference as to whether I wanted to hire that person or not, it was their qualifications and whether they were a good fit.

Just my take on things.

Well, I think that's why a lot of employers look at thank you letters as something that makes a person stand out.  I know at least two HR managers in the states that told me that a thank you letter can be a deciding factor if someone gets a job (obviously if there are two or more qualified applicants).  At my last job, I was told when I was offered the job that they really appreciated my thank you letter. 

So, I still stand by thank you letters :)

• Tao
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 03:50:16 PM »
What about the age old question 'Why do you want to work for us?'  I always have trouble with this one.

I'm young and the thing I really want to do is still out of my reach as far as education and experience goes.  For now I'm just trying to find a job that pays.  Of course I can't say that to my interviewer.   What are some good tips on answering this question?

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 08:53:06 PM »
You can say things like...the company has a good reputation, you are looking for a job that will bring out the best in you, a position that will challenge you, which you think you would find there, etc...

Sponsored Links