Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ethnic Food Shop finds  (Read 50015 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Ethnic Food Shop finds
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »
I've found dried black beans at the local health food store. Finally found black beans in a can for 39p!! At the Indian/asian shop. Been there a few times before, no clue how I missed them. Also got a bag of cornmeal for 39p.

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2011, 11:27:29 AM »
I've found dried black beans at the local health food store. Finally found black beans in a can for 39p!! At the Indian/asian shop. Been there a few times before, no clue how I missed them. Also got a bag of cornmeal for 39p.

i get my dried black beans at sainburys.....think its about a pound or two........i got yesterday at wing yip chinese market a/w rootbeer and mountain dew.....granted they were made in singapore but they taste absolutely the same and at .70p a can i can afford to treat myself.

« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
I did get drink black beans from a health food store. I've never seen dried ones at any other store. If I saw Mt. Dew for sale anywhere would totally freak.

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
http://www.lupepintos.com/ [nofollow]

I've gotten Karo Syrup, Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix, American Bisquick, Instant Jell-O mix, Green Chiles, Green Chile Enchilada Sauce and Nutter Butter Cookies (among other things) at Lupe Pintos in Glasgow.  Yum!  :)
Trust in yourself. Your perceptions are often far more accurate than you are willing to believe. -Claudia Black

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »
I've gotten Karo Syrup, Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix, American Bisquick, Instant Jell-O mix, Green Chiles, Green Chile Enchilada Sauce and Nutter Butter Cookies (among other things) at Lupe Pintos in Glasgow.  Yum!  :)

I'm going to Glasgow in July, will try to check this place out.

« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »
I did get drink black beans from a health food store. I've never seen dried ones at any other store. If I saw Mt. Dew for sale anywhere would totally freak.

The UK version of Mountian Dew is available in WH Smiths, Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose. It's been so long since I've had Mountain Dew in the US I can't taste a difference, but I've heard others complain that it isn't quite the same.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »
yesterday i purchased a huge box of cream of wheat, aunt jemimas cornbread mix, kool-aide packets, and pre sweetened grape kool-aide......all from america.......jamacian shop in birmingham........they also had a few other items like rubbing alcohol and dried beans

« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
yesterday i purchased a huge box of cream of wheat, aunt jemimas cornbread mix, kool-aide packets, and pre sweetened grape kool-aide......all from america.......jamacian shop in birmingham........they also had a few other items like rubbing alcohol and dried beans

Can you remember the name of the shop, and where it is? I'd totally go to Birmingham! I love Birmingham and Manchester because I don't stick out like a sore thumb like I do here. Let me know here or on fb! :D
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Gwiddon Coch, Sir Gaerfyrddin
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy Lebanese and/or Syrian groceries in South Wales (Carmarthenshire)? I'd imagine there is probably someplace in Swansea or Cardiff, but those towns are like mazes!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:44:30 PM by Jynxie »
Wherever you go, there you are!

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »
Anyone know of any good shops in mid-Kent?  We have a sweets shop in Maidstone that sells some American candy, cereals and soft drinks.  But I don't need Life cereal so much that I'll pay £7 for a box!  I'm looking for more things like corn meal, masa, anything Mexican or Southern. 

In particular I'd love to find a cheese that is similar to the white Mexican cheese found in enchiladas.  I made chicken ones from a kit recently and they weren't too bad but I'd really love some cheese ones!  They have sliced monterey jack at Morrisons but I wasn't very impressed with it...  Ideas??

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
You can get masa at Whole Foods in London (useful I know). You can get corn meal at Tesco (and I am sure other stores like that) in the World Foods section, usually in with the Jamaican foods. 

It isn't labelled corn meal though it is something that currently escapes my mind.  But you'll know it when you see it. 

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
Thanks bookgrl!  Sadly I don't have any plans to go to London soon - I'm very pregnant at the moment! 

I actually brought corn meal back with me last time I was home but it's only a small bag.  I was surprised to find "corn bread" at Sainsburys the other day (in the clearance section but it said it was South American?) but it wasn't exactly like I'm used to so guess I'll have to make some soon!

« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
I'm in Glasgow and I'm looking for:

Sweet pickle relish
Tomatillos
Pablano peppers
Poultry seasoning

and, not food but is there any type of shop that is like Bed, Bath and Beyond; Linens n Things, etc.?  I want kitchen items...placemats and tablecloths, etc., but cannot find a good selection from which to choose.  Ikea has a very limited selection.

Thanks.

• Gwiddon Coch, Sir Gaerfyrddin
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
Anyone know of any good shops in mid-Kent?  We have a sweets shop in Maidstone that sells some American candy, cereals and soft drinks.  But I don't need Life cereal so much that I'll pay £7 for a box!  I'm looking for more things like corn meal, masa, anything Mexican or Southern.  

In particular I'd love to find a cheese that is similar to the white Mexican cheese found in enchiladas.  I made chicken ones from a kit recently and they weren't too bad but I'd really love some cheese ones!  They have sliced monterey jack at Morrisons but I wasn't very impressed with it...  Ideas??

Try your local Pakistani/Indian grocery for the masa! They sell a very fine-ground corn meal (makki) that Punjabi folks use to make roti. I saw a bag last week, and snatched it, with homemade tamales, tortillas, and gorditas in mind! As for a Chihuahua cheese substitute, try Caerphilly cheese. It is VERY similar in flavour, although not quite as soft. Also good, is the "salad cheese" from ALDI stores. For a Cortija cheese substitute, try Grana Padano.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:10:27 PM by Jynxie »
Wherever you go, there you are!

« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »
Wondering if anyone knows a Filipino shop or a shop that carries egg roll wrappers? I'm half Filipino and there's this appetizer that is called Lumpia and it's very delicious. I would be grateful to know there's a shop in the UK that carries Filipino food products besides Skyflake crackers.  [smiley=dead.gif]

Sponsored Links