Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ethnic Food Shop finds  (Read 49938 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Ethnic Food Shop finds
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »
There's a burrito stand in Avonmouth, on "First Way", about a couple blocks from the Costco. The Burrito stand has at leats a dozen varieities of hot sauces. the one in the picture resembles one or two that he has. Who knows........

he makes a pretty good burrito as well.

BTW....has anyone found real pickles at Costco or sainsburys?

thanks

tom

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2007, 08:31:23 AM »
By real pickles, do you mean dill pickles that are not sweet?  Where I live (Isleworth, West London) there is a large Polish community and local stores have started stocking "sour" and dill Polish pickles.  They are pretty good and much cheaper than getting the Vlasic pickles at Bentalls in Kingston.
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »
thanks for the lead on pickels......

tom

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2007, 02:48:11 AM »
No one has mentioned it yet
A bit out of the ways but when I was in London, I took my fiance over there and he was absolutely thrilled.
http://www.japan-foods.co.uk/
A while variety of Japanese stuff.  A little bit of Korean and Chinese things.
I call them up from America a few times a year and buycare packages for my honey and they ship it to my fiance in London (and they ship to other places).  Very helpful, very nice.  They even remember my name.  (A plus if you can speak Japanese)

As for the hot sauce, I'm almost 100% sure you can get that from any Chinese supermarkets.  (I have 3 bottles in my fridge right now, but I'm in the States though.)

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16:28 PM »
No one has mentioned it yet
A bit out of the ways but when I was in London, I took my fiance over there and he was absolutely thrilled.
http://www.japan-foods.co.uk/
A while variety of Japanese stuff.  A little bit of Korean and Chinese things.
I call them up from America a few times a year and buycare packages for my honey and they ship it to my fiance in London (and they ship to other places).  Very helpful, very nice.  They even remember my name.  (A plus if you can speak Japanese)

As for the hot sauce, I'm almost 100% sure you can get that from any Chinese supermarkets.  (I have 3 bottles in my fridge right now, but I'm in the States though.)

I have to second this place.  I order from them 3 or 4 times a year, spending waaayyy to much money.  The food is always good, even the refrigerated stock arrives in a polystyrene container with ice packs.  Best thing for me......I can finally enjoy eating Tarako again!  (Can't seem to find it anywhere in the north of England.)

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »
Is there an English option on the Japan-Foods site?  (sorry if I've just completely missed it)

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »
i don't think there is
but  if you run it through a online translator, you should have an idea what you are getting. 
they speak english so if you have any questions, send them an email.

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »
I've looked at the Mexican links on here but can't seem to find Chihuahua cheese(probably not practical for mail order).

Has anyone found any? Does anyone know a good substitute for cheese enchiladas? I've tried Monteray Jack, which I found at ONE Tesco store near me, but it's not quite the same.
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Liked: 2
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »
we just use cheddar! But I think some Mexican restaurants here use Wenslydale in place of Mexican cheese, you could try that.

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »
I've looked at the Mexican links on here but can't seem to find Chihuahua cheese(probably not practical for mail order).

Has anyone found any? Does anyone know a good substitute for cheese enchiladas? I've tried Monteray Jack, which I found at ONE Tesco store near me, but it's not quite the same.

Wow!  I've never had chihuahua cheese, even in Mexico!
Im lucky enough to live near 2 shops that sell Mexican ingredients, and they sell Monterey Jack, but TBH, I dont find that much difference between Jack and certain cheddars here, so i just buy the mild white cheddar, or Red Leicester if i want an orange-coloured cheese.

Hope you can find something you like!

• Alone I walked until I found you. . .
    • myspace
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »
My husband and I get our Chinese  food supplies at a place in south London called:
SeeWoo
Furlong House, Horn Lane
Greenwich, London

http://www.seewoo.com/

There's another See Woo Shop  :)
             Seewoo (Reading) Ltd                             Tel: 0118 931 3188
             15 Craddock Road                                     Fax:0118 931 3233
              Reading, Berkshire
              RG2 0JT UK

Open 10am - 6pm every day

"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself."Jim Morrison"

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »
I don't live near enough to Reading to try this, but on that (awful) show about chefs challenging take away places Angela Hartnett challenged a burrito place. And the burritos looked pretty good. But most encouraging - they interviewed the staff and they were actually Mexicans!! So that bodes well for anyone in Reading. They delivered too.

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
I don't live near enough to Reading to try this, but on that (awful) show about chefs challenging take away places Angela Hartnett challenged a burrito place. And the burritos looked pretty good. But most encouraging - they interviewed the staff and they were actually Mexicans!! So that bodes well for anyone in Reading. They delivered too.

Did they give the name of it, Anne?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:37:43 PM by pkmac »

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »
Did they give the name of it, Anne?

Duh. That might have helped, eh?  :P

Mannomexico.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/takeaway_recipe4.shtml

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »
I checked... it's in Cambridge, actually. For a minute I thought there was an upside to working in Reading...  :-\\\\
 ;)

Sponsored Links