Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ethnic Food Shop finds  (Read 49960 times)

Re: Ethnic Food Shop finds
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »
I checked... it's in Cambridge, actually. For a minute I thought there was an upside to working in Reading...  :-\\\\
 ;)

Oh no!! Sorry! I could have sworn they said Reading for some reason!!!

• Alone I walked until I found you. . .
    • myspace
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2008, 08:17:38 PM »
I don't think that there's much demand for it....but has anyone seen any Puerto Rican food shops around the UK?  I have been craving a few things, but I don't know how to cook them, my uncle wouldn't teach me the recipes.  :(     
"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself."Jim Morrison"

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »
my uncle wouldn't teach me the recipes.  :(     

Thus ensuring you'll come home for visits.   ;D  My mom's still holding a few recipes hostage, too!

• Alone I walked until I found you. . .
    • myspace
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
Thus ensuring you'll come home for visits.   ;D  My mom's still holding a few recipes hostage, too!

;D I never thought of it like that.  lol
"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself."Jim Morrison"

• I'm the person the Daily Mail warned you about
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »
I've looked at the Mexican links on here but can't seem to find Chihuahua cheese(probably not practical for mail order).

Has anyone found any? Does anyone know a good substitute for cheese enchiladas? I've tried Monteray Jack, which I found at ONE Tesco store near me, but it's not quite the same.

What's Chihuahua cheese?  I've had Oaxaca cheese (sort-of like mozzarella, only stronger), panela, and asadero but never Chihuahua.  And I used to live just over the border from Chihuahua.

I have never found Jack up here (northeast).  There's a burger place in Newcastle that puts it on their cheeseburgers, but that's the only place!
"I don't bother nobody, I'm a real nice guy.  Kinda laid back like a dead fly." --Rappin' Duke

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »
I have never found Jack up here (northeast).  There's a burger place in Newcastle that puts it on their cheeseburgers, but that's the only place!

I've had some really rubbish excuses for Monterey Jack in Tesco, but have finally found a nice one... it's pre-sliced, which isn't great if you're wanting to grate it, but the flavour is spot-on (from what i remember Jack to taste like).  This was found in a large Morrison's.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2008, 05:43:54 PM »
I've had some really rubbish excuses for Monterey Jack in Tesco, but have finally found a nice one... it's pre-sliced, which isn't great if you're wanting to grate it, but the flavour is spot-on (from what i remember Jack to taste like).  This was found in a large Morrison's.

I've had that one before - and from our small Morrisons.  I didn't think it was too bad. :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• *swelch2
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »
http://www.japanesekitchen.co.uk/

another one for Japan-looks pretty good :)
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »
Carrying on the Japanese theme:

http://www.japancentre.com

Really good online store for foods and supplies.  The in-person shop is in Piccadilly Circus (London) and while small is really well-priced and infamous for its super-cheap sushi (I'm talking a whole roll for like £2.50).  I got an order from them last week and it was all lovely!
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »
Only relevant to people in Sheffield/South Yorks, but if anyone wants yummy Caribbean ingredients and food, the shop to go to is Martin's, on the Wicker in Sheffield (http://martinsgoodtogo.co.uk/) :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »
Does anyone know where to get Sambal Oelek (Indonesian chilli paste)?  I absolutely love it in my quesadillas.  (Yes, it's a mixing of cuisines, but it's such a spicy goodness!)  I've only managed to find 100g jars at Tesco and that's finished in no time flat.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2008, 06:42:35 AM »
In the Leeds area I was having trouble finding tamarind paste (without going to an Indian / Pakistani market in Bradford), but I finally found some at Pooky and Grumps, an upscale gourmet deli and cafe just a block from my house!  They've got all sorts of nice stuff!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Odd Duck
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
In the Leeds area I was having trouble finding tamarind paste (without going to an Indian / Pakistani market in Bradford), but I finally found some at Pooky and Grumps, an upscale gourmet deli and cafe just a block from my house!  They've got all sorts of nice stuff!
There's a health food shop in Headingley that carries it too. Just in case!

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »

There's a section in Sainsburys of fancier/more unusual foods - I can't think of what it's called - but in mine it's near the spice section. They have tamarind paste in tiny pouches - It was in a "Delia cheat" recipe and all of a sudden it was very available:

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2008, 07:33:22 AM »
Good to know Anne and Elynor!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab