Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: July trip home - student visa, but recently engaged  (Read 499 times)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
July trip home - student visa, but recently engaged
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »
I'm an american student here and my visa lasts until Oct 31, 2006. I am going home to visit and get wedding plans in order in July for 2 weeks. Here's my concern. I'm wearing an engagment ring and wondering if it will be a problem for when I return to the UK. I may have wedding things in my suitcase. We are getting married in the states on Oct 14th. Should I hide my ring and keep any wedding stuff from getting into my bag? Do you think they will believe me when I say I am getting married in the states and only coming back to finish my dissertation? (I am marrying a brit, I'm sure it's on a file somewhere that I have a bf in the UK since my visa was sponsored by him)

I believe honesty is the best policy, but I wonder if it is going to get me into more trouble this time around.

Thanks for any insight, experience or suggestions.
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: July trip home - student visa, but recently engaged
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:19:27 PM »
FWIW, I was on a student visa here when I went to the US in March of 2004. Our wedding was October 2004 here in the UK. I can't recall if I had my engagment ring on or not (I was borrowing my Mom's at the time). But I'm sure I had wedding stuff in my bags. I don't think I gave it a lot of thought so may just have been lucky with the officer I had.

Will you have any proof of wedding plans in the US yet? Such as a receipt of deposit on anything (like the venue?). Can you get a letter from your Uni advisor/Dept confirming your plans (and keep it along with your admissions letter I assume you already have).

They may also want to know where you intend to live after the wedding.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 02:08:41 PM »
We are residing in the UK, but getting the appropriate spousal visa for me. I will have proof that the wedding is in the states, just don't know what that will be.  I have emails that are with ppl in the states - I have a LOT booked and it's all in the states.  I am not buying the ticket for my flight back to the states yet for the wedding b/c I am hoping to get bumped (I got bumped last time and saved money for this flight). 

I just think they are trained to spot something like an engagement ring and a student visa. I will think of something to prove I am having it in the states.
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 03:20:42 PM »
There is nothing illegal about being an overseas national and engaged!  Apart from anything else, you would be permitted to switch from a student visa to a spousal visa if you got permission to marry, so I see no reason why they would hassle you.

Bring the proof of the wedding in the US if you can, but really, don't worry too much.

Victoria

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab