Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "Work visa exemption" question  (Read 742 times)

• The Two Crabs
  • Liked: 0
"Work visa exemption" question
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:26:40 PM »
On Monday, I have a meeting with the immigration office for an extension so stay. I'm in the UK under "work permit exception" (i'm one of a handful of occupations that don't require work permits ).  Depending on how the meeting goes, I hope to receive a 3-year extension. Here's my question:

If I were to quit my job sometime in the next 3 years but want to remain in the UK, would I automatically lose my visa?  In other words, are visas tied to specific employers? Could I quit and then work for another company without problems? Or would I have to shell out another 300+ pounds for yet another visa for that company?  Or if I switched ito a spousal visa, would I be allowed to work in the UK? 

My wife and I are on separate visas; she has a separate, four-year work permit as a UK  government employee. 
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

Re: "Work visa exemption" question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »

This is a really good question! A friend of mine who's here on work assignment is wondering the same thing. Hope you get some good advice!
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:42:31 PM »
I don't know about your main question since I'm not sure exactly what visa you have (what do you do?), but I can help with this one:

Or if I switched ito a spousal visa, would I be allowed to work in the UK?
If you got a work permit dependent visa, you would definitely be allowed to work.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »
Actually, i am not sure what kind of visa you have either!  Can you be a wee bit more specific?  Is it permit free training, missionary work, or something else?

Thanks,

Victoria

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 10:09:04 AM »
Victoria - would you be able to enlighten me on the work visa issue? If someone comes to the UK on a work assignment with a work visa (five year, I believe) must they stay with the company that sponsored their work visa to begin with? If they find work with another company (All the rules regarding the ability of the company to find a citizen w/in 30 miles - ? - who can do the job withstanding) can the work visa be transferred?
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 10:19:13 AM »
Victoria - would you be able to enlighten me on the work visa issue? If someone comes to the UK on a work assignment with a work visa (five year, I believe) must they stay with the company that sponsored their work visa to begin with? If they find work with another company (All the rules regarding the ability of the company to find a citizen w/in 30 miles - ? - who can do the job withstanding) can the work visa be transferred?

A work permit holder can switch employers if they remain in the same job category and the new employer gets a work permit for the employee before they start working.  The whole process takes about a week. 

The 30 miles bit is internet lore. 

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 05:24:42 PM »
I have a "permit free" visa, which allows certain professionals to work in the Uk without a work permit including journalists (me), writers, musicians, actors, clergy, artists, foreign military, and some other jobs I can't remember at the moment.
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 04:17:58 PM »
I got a three-year extension on my visa yesterday. Woo hoo!. Actually my new visa in my passport reads "Resident Permit." I feel so special.  I spent about 3 hours in the Croydon office, of which 2 hours 45 minutes was spent waiting. The immigration officer barely even thumbed through my huge stack of paperwork. 

The downside is if I change jobs, my visa becomes null and void.  He says I would either have to find a new employer who will sponsor me, or I would have to go home to the states, apply for a new type of visa and then come back.  How wacky is that?
------------------------

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 04:36:16 PM »
Er...it's not wacky at all!  Your visa is based on you being the overseas correspondent of a US newspaper or something similar I assume?  It makes sense that if this situation changes you need to get a new visa/permit.  This is how these things work.  The only exception is the HSMP which allows you to move freely.

Victoria

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 04:37:15 PM »
The downside is if I change jobs, my visa becomes null and void.  He says I would either have to find a new employer who will sponsor me, or I would have to go home to the states, apply for a new type of visa and then come back.  How wacky is that?

The same rule kicks in if you change positions at your current employer.  If it's not a PFE slot, you'll need a work permit, *and* your employer could be fined.

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 11:15:58 AM »
Yes Victoria, that's the PFE slot I'm under at the moment.

Ok here's my next question: can i legally begin looking for new work now with anothe roverseas newspaper? And if I'm hired, do I have to go home and apply to come to that new employer, or would it be possible to just transfer the visa to the new employer? (the name of my current employer is NOT on my new PFE residence permit. it just says something like "for overseas newspaper work only" (paraphrasing). 

Is it realistic for a journalist  to get a HSMP? Journos are a dime a dozen here. And I looked at that website you posted on your message above. But I dont have a masters degree and im certainly not an engineer or science professional! 
------------------------

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »
Hi

You can start looking for a new job if you wish, that is fine.  If you then get a new offer with an overseas paper which would keep you under the permit free category then you can switch from within the UK.  If you get a new job offer that would come under the work permit category then it looks as though you would need to return home when the application is made.

It is possible for a journalist to get an HSMP if you meet the points, which depends on experience and qualifications, salary etc.

Victoria

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab