Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Passport application returned :(  (Read 483 times)

• Liked: 0
Passport application returned :(
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:15:36 PM »
Ok, so I recently sent in my application for a British passport.  I live in the US but have british-born parents and they were smart enough to register my birth with the british consulate so I do have a british birth certificate in addition to my US one.  This was all accepted and everything... but the british consulate sent everything back and stated they need an "original document showing proof of my name change" (from maiden to married name).  The only document I have is a certified copy of my marriage certificate.  I do not have the original... come to think of it, the only original document I ever received was my marriage license but I don't have that either.  Will the certified copy of my marriage license be sufficient or will they deny my application because it is not an "original" document?  It has the seal of the state of Nevada and all that official stuff on it and it is an official document, not a photocopy or scan.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated... I'm freaking out a little bit over the word "original" lol.

Thanks!  :)

Re: Passport application returned :(
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:18:15 PM »
I used an original of my marriage certificate (which was a copy that is stamped so you can feel the stamp by the county). 

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what this certified copy has on it... the raised seal from the county where I got married. 

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:26:12 PM »

The seal is what they want. But if yours is raised but not coloured in any way make a note of it on your application. Sometimes they don't "see" the seal if it's only a raised one.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
that should be fine - what they don't want is a photocopy.
Maroon Passport Club!

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:57:40 PM »
The seal is what they want. But if yours is raised but not coloured in any way make a note of it on your application. Sometimes they don't "see" the seal if it's only a raised one.

Good point

Just wondering, does a married woman have to have her passport in her married name?
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:03:20 PM »
Good point

Just wondering, does a married woman have to have her passport in her married name?

No.  You can have your passport in your maiden or married name.

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 11:09:23 PM »
I went ahead and had mine re -issued a week after I got married in my new name so that I would have more time in it. Mine was due to expire in 4 years time and this way it just saved a lot of hassle for later. 
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab