Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: car leasing?  (Read 1162 times)

• Liked: 0
car leasing?
« on: December 27, 2003, 06:01:29 AM »
Is leasing a car instead of buying a car in the UK possible? I am only planning on living in the UK a couple years or so and do not plan on driving often but will need one for work at times. Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
Re: car leasing?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 08:11:27 PM »
I'm not actually sure if you can lease a car; as I have no desire to do it I've never looked into it.  However, used cars are SOOO cheap here.  Might be worthwhile just getting a used one to putt around in if it's only short term.   Just an idea!
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 09:25:00 PM »
Collington is right. Try Ebay UK.  You can find really reasonable priced cars there. Also try Auto Trader through Yahoo UK.  Whatever you do, try to get it checked out by a mechanic before you buy.  Best of luck! :)

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 12:54:54 AM »
leasing cars is usually done by company vehicle fleets as it has tax advantages for them. For individuals there is probably little or no advantage unless it is an expensive model (and even then the Inland Revenue may look hard at the arrangement). An old car which is still sound enough to get through the annual test will loose little of its purchase value.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 06:16:57 PM »
We leased my car the same way we leased cars in the US - through the car dealership.  We'd only been in the UK for less than a month, but they (VW) had no problems leasing to us.

HTH,
Stephanie

• Smart
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 06:13:19 AM »
you will find that more and more individuals go in for leasing since the tax on co. cars changed to emission based. Leasing has advantages other than tax, such as being able to hand the vehicle back, being able to provide trouble free motoring at a fixed budget etc.

Leasing shouldnt be too hard as the vehicle is normally always worth more than the debt outstanding

Sponsored Links