Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Converting US BBQ to work in UK  (Read 13828 times)

• Liked: 0
Converting US BBQ to work in UK
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
Hello All,

It has been a while since I looked in here. I have been living in the UK now since Aug of 2005. We brought the propane grill along with us. I am having a heck of a time finding a place where I can get a converter so that I can connect it to a UK propane tank.

I recall before I moved I saw on here where someone had done exactly that... gotten their US propane hose hooked up to a converter so they could connect it to a UK propane tank.

Anyone actually done this that can refer me to the guys to get it done? Or just get the stinking part?

Thanks,
R
"Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat" - T. Roosevelt, 1899

Re: Converting US BBQ to work in UK
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »
This post by henrygirls says that they had their hose refitted?

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=7931.msg75522#msg75522
Bored

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »
Yeah... I saw that one. I went to several plumbing stores (the folks who handle gas pipes, etc) and they did not seem to have a solution for me.

I guess I was hoping someone who actually did it could give me a specific contact.

R
"Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat" - T. Roosevelt, 1899

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 07:23:29 PM »

Is this what you need?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Butane-Regulator-for-LPG-gas-QUICK-ON-21mm_W0QQitemZ4454493463QQcategoryZ20725QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have a look on ebay there are a bunch of choices. Or try calor gas they sell them and they deliver cylinders.

http://www.calorgas.co.uk/regulators/index.htm

Goodluck

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:22:12 AM »
It might be worth trying some of the places which deal with RVs and associated equipment.  A couple for starters:

http://www.mobilerv.co.uk/

http://www.goldrv.co.uk/

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Hi there.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »
rebelminion

I removed the hose from the BBQ and took it to a local calor propane gas dealer.  He cut the US regulator attachment from the hose and then put a UK regulator onto the end.  With the proper seals.  Then I went home and reattached the hose to the BBQ.  The UK regulator works with the UK gas containers - presto -- BBQ Steaks!

Seems like you are getting a bit of a run around.  A local propane dealer should be able to do this for you.

My process took less than 1 hour beginning to end (once I found the proper person who could do it for me - the propane gas supplier).

Good Luck - we LOVE having our big US BBQ!

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 09:53:45 AM »
He cut the US regulator attachment from the hose and then put a UK regulator onto the end.

Be sure to check the required gas pressure if going down that route, as it's possible that the BBQ burners are designed/adjusted for a different standard pressure.  It will still work, but may not be quite so efficient (e.g. yellow tips to the flames indicating carbon).   

Note also that butane and propane are both widely used here, and their differing properties result in them having different operating pressures and thus different regulators (which is one reason why the fittings on cylinders are different).
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
Henrygrls

Just wanted to let you know your advice got me where I needed to be.

Found the local calor folks and just went down.

For me, they just tossed me the new fitting and a screw on clamp - I am guessing they will fix it for the hot american chicks but us dudes are on our own  ;D

Anyway, I did it and all is working fine.

MMMmmmmm..... BBQ.

R

Sponsored Links