Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get American food in London and the UK  (Read 208195 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Where can I get American food in London and the UK
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2005, 12:38:55 PM »
If in London, try Shephards Market on Drury Lane in Covent Garden (there is also one next to Richmond train station but the selection is more limited). Amongst other things, at times they have had Heinz Dill Pickles and Pickle Relish (the real stuff imported from US!), Cherrios, Lucky Charms, Apple Jacks (all very expensive), Libby canned pumpkin, Crisco pots, Snyders pretzels, Aunt Jemima mixes, bisquick, Jif PB, Oreos (from the US, which I am told are different to the ones sold in the UK), Hersheys, Reese's, etc. Occasionally they've had Welchs grape jelly and grape juice. I haven't been in for a few months but they generally have a good selection...a friend of mine and I go for the dill pickles, but sadly, last time there were none to be found.

The Canadian shop has a good selection, but some of the chocolate (Hersheys and Reese's) is the Canadian version and not the US version (for example, some of the Hershey's is made by Cadbury's so creamier dairy milk instead of milk chocolate).

• Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2005, 07:21:39 AM »
I buy the Sainsbury's albacore tuna. Its in a clear jar, usually on the top shelf and is £2.50. Very expensive but lovely to have the white tuna again. I agree with you - most of the tuna is not very nice and I miss the white myself.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2005, 08:14:29 AM »
Unfortunately for poor Belindaloo, they probably dont have a Costco in her part of the country...  but i buy Chicken of the Sea WHITE tuna there.
White tuna is the only kind i like...  I agree, the other type is like cat food.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2005, 10:09:46 AM »
Some of the Spanish tuna you can buy here is very nice though more often than not it is packed in olive oil.  It's white tuna as well. 

The one thing that was odd to me was the tuna salad stuff with mayo and corn already in it.  Though not being a processed food person anyways that does not surprise me.  I ate it as it was already in a sandwhich and made for me, but I do not ever plan to purchase it myself. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 12:05:29 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2005, 12:00:20 PM »
Unfortunately for poor Belindaloo, they probably dont have a Costco in her part of the country...  but i buy Chicken of the Sea WHITE tuna there.
White tuna is the only kind i like...  I agree, the other type is like cat food.

You're right, no Costco here either.  :(  However, it's useful information for me to keep in mind if I'm ever visiting a part of the country with a Costco. I'll stock up on white tuna!

In the meantime, does anyone know of any of those websites where you can order American foods that might stock Starkist, Chicken of the Sea or anything like that?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Relio
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2005, 10:52:01 AM »
If you guy think you have it bad .. try to be a Portuguese in the UK :p

In the US at least I was able to get my nice seasonings.. here .. it's a choice of indian or indian seasoning .. and that's it :D

On a different note .. has anybody found GOYA seasonings here ?
"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it's all organized by the Swiss.  Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians."

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2005, 11:01:41 AM »
No Goya seasonings - but I have about 3 tins of Goya guava paste if you're interested!  ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2005, 12:07:34 PM »
Hey Null-- what are you looking for?  There are a few sources about and international type markets that might have them and also hey the air fare is cheaper from here.  ;)

I have yet to see Goya though....
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Relio
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2005, 02:54:02 PM »
Hey Null-- what are you looking for?  There are a few sources about and international type markets that might have them and also hey the air fare is cheaper from here.  ;)

I have yet to see Goya though....

I am looking for proper red crushhed pepper .. in Spain/portugal the red crushed pepper is bottled in it's own juices .. here all I find it is bottlled in vinagre .. yikes !!
"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it's all organized by the Swiss.  Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians."

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2005, 03:08:49 PM »
I pmed you but wanted to add that there are a few Spanish stores in London that might have it.  I also remeber there being a Spanish food place online.... let me see if I can find it....

There is also a Portuguese Food Fair held annually in Jersey...

http://www.thisisjersey.com/code/showarticle.pl?ArticleID=000141

• Relio
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2005, 03:12:58 PM »
In Jersey ??

really,, .. must be a pt community there, very nice to know :)

• azroomie & james
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2005, 03:31:01 PM »
anyone know where  to find Endive  or escalore  lettuce?? 

what about  italian cheese  like Romano or peccorino  for  pasta  dishes??  this plastic  tasting  'italian  style'  is for the birds!!
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2005, 03:40:24 PM »
anyone know where to find Endive or escalore lettuce??

what about italian cheese like Romano or peccorino for pasta dishes?? this plastic tasting 'italian style' is for the birds!!

Do you mean endive as in Curly/Frissee' Endive?  I have seen that at Sainsbury's but only on a few occasions.   And as far as escalore, I have heard of the fish that is called escalore.  But never a lettuce.  Can you educate me, perhaps it is called by another name?

Also, Sainsbury's does have Romano, but I have not seen the Pecorino here yet.  Have you tried grana padano sometimes spelled with padana.  It has a very close flavor profile to Romano.  Just a thought.  Do tell me more about this Escalore lettuce, I am really intrigued.  I have been a food buyer for 16 years and that one has me stumped. 

Edited to say:  Ok a bit rusty here as I am still unemployed (well maybe).  The fish I was speaking of is called escolar, very oily fish, runs with tuna and is usually caught that way.  ie...in the net with tuna. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 03:54:26 PM by RoseinNI »

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2005, 03:45:32 PM »
Azroomie are you in London? There is a wonderful Italian deli in Soho called Lina stores that has about a million different varieties of Italian cheese, and a whole lot of other yummy stuff including the freshest, most divine ciabatta you have ever had.

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2005, 04:03:53 PM »
There is escarole lettuce and it is usually in the mixed bags of salad.. you can find both at many local supermarkets.  WE get ours from the local organic store and box delivery when in season too.

Also I find Parm. Reggiano at Sainsbury's.

One question for you Rose.. any idea for a good mail source for French black truffles in the UK?  Even Italian ones will do... have a craving here...and it's usually the one thing I ask for for my birthday!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab