Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get American food in London and the UK  (Read 207775 times)

• Liked: 68
Re: Where can I get American food in London and the UK
« Reply #825 on: March 04, 2016, 10:46:08 AM »
While this used to be a decent company, the last time I went to this American store was horrible. However, they're closing down (no surprise) and everything in their Ashton-under-Lyne store will be 30% off next weekend.

http://blog.americansoda.co.uk/2016/03/closing-down-sale-up-to-30-off-in-store-before-it-closes-for-good/

Just wanted to share if anyone in the Greater Manchester area (Or NorthWest even) wanted to come by and see what was on offer!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #826 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
I have a love of Cheez It, and want to know if anyone knows of a website that I can get them from or if there are any stores in the North West that carry them?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #827 on: May 05, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »

Hey all I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find Boars Head quality cold cuts in London?

I have been eating the Marks and Sparks cold cuts but not up to the same standard, probably similar to pre-packaged oscar meyer cold cuts back home.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #828 on: May 05, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »
Hey all I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find Boars Head quality cold cuts in London?

I have been eating the Marks and Sparks cold cuts but not up to the same standard, probably similar to pre-packaged oscar meyer cold cuts back home.

If you're looking for a good deli for cold cuts, my go to place is Gazzano's on Faringdon Road in Clerkenwell. I. Camisa on Old Compton Street is also good.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #829 on: May 05, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
Howdy All

I'm from Kansas City originally and my wife owns the "Chuckwagon" here in Stratford upon Avon...we serve proper pancakes with Canadian Maple Syrup, the best Cheesesteak you'll find on this side of the pond, BBQ Pulled Pork (cooked 4hours) and Brisket (cooked 6hours) and Steak & Eggs.

The Pork is Saddleback free range and Steak/Brisket is Limousin from a local Midlands farm, burger is 8oz from the local butcher w/ Monterey Jack, breads all fresh from local bakeries -- and we serve some cracking British favourites, too! 

I make a Chili from time to time that won't blow your head off and we even rustle up omlettes (free range eggs) and peanut butter&jelly.

The Chuckwagon is located at 26/27 Western Road (ironically) in Stratford upon Avon CV37 0AH and the number is 07596 102922.  Hours are 07:30 to 14:30 Monday - Saturday -- and we open in the Summertime on Sundays from 10:30 to 13:30 (but we're looking at extending our hours since the place is becoming very popular.)

Plenty of parking and there is room for 20 people to sit and enjoy the good food when the weather permits. 

Always great to see folks from the place of my birth -- so pop by and enjoy some QUALITY American food.

Kevin Cordray
I have saved this to memory in hopes of making the hour and a half journey. I'm from Saint Louis so close to your home town. Would love some American good made by Americans :) Really interested in the pancakes as its one of my favorite foods.

Cheers!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #830 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
Don't know if this is common knowledge, but Tesco in Slough have a special section for USA foods. Looks to be mainly confectionary and things.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #831 on: May 17, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »
Don't know if this is common knowledge, but Tesco in Slough have a special section for USA foods. Looks to be mainly confectionary and things.

The Tesco Extras have International sections, including American foods. What each store has varies a bit though. I love that their Asian Section has real ramen! The Souper Noodles are definitely not my thing, super starchy.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #832 on: July 03, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
Just wanted to share that I found boxed kraft macaroni and cheese today at Asda!

Well...kind of.

They call it "Cheesey Pasta" and it's in a red rectangular box. It's under their Mondelez International name, although the pricing sticker said "Kraft Macaroni" and it was only 80p.

We tried some today for lunch and it's pretty good to me for the boxed powdered stuff. I prefer the velveeta kind with the sauce myself but this will do!

They also have kraft frozen mac and cheese, which is better than the dry boxed stuff (and is actually "kraft" in their signature blue box), but thought I'd share since I sometimes seem to come across people wanting some!

• Liked: 584
« Reply #833 on: July 03, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
Just wanted to share that I found boxed kraft macaroni and cheese today at Asda!

Well...kind of.

They call it "Cheesey Pasta" and it's in a red rectangular box. It's under their Mondelez International name, although the pricing sticker said "Kraft Macaroni" and it was only 80p.

I believe the flavour of the red box stuff has been previously described on UKY as 'wet dog'!

« Reply #834 on: July 04, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
I believe the flavour of the red box stuff has been previously described on UKY as 'wet dog'!

Oh wow really? Yikes! Admittedly I didnt this k it was that bad...just your standard boxed powdered mac and cheese! I did add a bit of gouda in it though!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #835 on: September 04, 2016, 12:28:41 AM »
I was shopping for school supplies at The Works today, and they randomly had 3 Musketeers and peanut butter M&Ms at the till . . . I bought two of each for when I'm missing home :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #836 on: September 04, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
I was shopping for school supplies at The Works today, and they randomly had 3 Musketeers and peanut butter M&Ms at the till . . . I bought two of each for when I'm missing home :)

I will do like this
from time to time
but then scoff them on the way home.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #837 on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »

3 Muskateers!  That's a rarity.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #838 on: September 07, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »
I will do like this
from time to time
but then scoff them on the way home.

They are already gone lol and I've only been back in the UK for 9 days :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #839 on: October 05, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
The Tesco Extras have International sections, including American foods. What each store has varies a bit though. I love that their Asian Section has real ramen! The Souper Noodles are definitely not my thing, super starchy.

You may want to try Maggi Noodles.  They are the most similar to Ramen noodles that I've found in 3 years.

Unfortunately you're unlikely to find Boar's head brand here.  If I remember correctly they're known to have fewer preservatives (part of their allure) so I doubt they would travel all that well and still have any shelf life.  Waitrose has pretty good deli meats but you'll have to get them at the counter to get the ones with less water/filler.

If you like cheese such as Monterey Jack and Pepper Jack I've just stumbled upon them in a Heron Foods in the midlands.  That's a first.  Outside the bigger cities like London it's really difficult to find cheese that isn't blue, cheddar, gouda, edam or a French one.  Also I've been told of a deli in Bedford that has Provolone.  I'm going to have to make a little road trip for that one.  The only other provolone I've found is on the hamburgers at the cafe in Ryton Pools.  :)

Additionally I've run across a number of things in B&M as someone else mentioned.  The same can be said of Family Bargains where I've found RC Cola from time to time.

There is a shop called Churcys in Brackley NN13 7AB ( https://www.facebook.com/Churcys/?fref=ts ) who cary a lot of American products.  Their page mentioned a new shipment of A&W Root Beer and Crush Soda!

Someone had asked about Saltines and I've looked everywhere for them to no avail including a nearby Costco.  Ritz crackers are available here.  Yes, I know they're not the same but at least they aren't water crackers.  :)  Also the British brand Tucs are quite nice.  They remind me a bit of Captain's Wafers by Lance.

If you're having trouble finding buttermilk, look in the Polish foods section of the fridge aisle at Tesco.  It's called Maślanka which appears to be Polish for buttermilk.  Cornmeal here is most likely to be corn flour or polenta.  If you're used to Southern Cornbread, both will most likely displease you as they aren't coarse.  You can get coarse corn meal through Amazon at a premium or I've been told to try specifically African and East Indian shops.  What it's called I can't tell you but supposedly you can find it there.
Happily ever after...
Living with husband in the UK since October 2013.
Currently seeking 2nd FLR(M)
28 Aug 2013 - Online application/Payment
3 Sept 2013 - Biometrics appointment
5 Sept 2013 - Shipped application to Sheffield
                    w/ Priority Processing

Sponsored Links