Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to Take the Bus  (Read 33631 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: How to Take the Bus
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
Timetables, maps, routes, etc for First Bus in Glasgow (to whom it may concern  :) )-

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/

• Live long and prosper.
    • An American Expat in England
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2014, 02:02:12 PM »
Just thought I'd update this thread with a notice about London buses.  London buses are now cash-free.  You can no longer use cash at all to buy tickets on London buses.  Details are here:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/cash-free-buses?intcmp=17374

You can pay with an Oyster card, a travelcard, or a UK-issued "contactless" card which most banks now issue and allow you to pay for items less than £15 without entering a PIN.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Thanks for the update, Edenlynn.
I am coming down to London next month, and would have been surprised by this!

• On a stroppy little island of mixed up people...
    • City of Villages Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »
I still think that this will end up creating chaos considering how many tourists won't have oyster cards or contactless cards.
It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent... the biggest aggregation of human life, the most complete compendium in the world.
-Henry James

• Live long and prosper.
    • An American Expat in England
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »
I agree CoV that it's a backwards move!   :-\\\\
I think TFL's reasoning is that so many visitors buy a travelcard, and many travel agents now sell "visitor oyster cards" when booking tickets to London (and some apparently include a visitor oyster card as a sweetener), most will already be covered.

But I can see a lot of people being caught out by this, especially at night when the nearest tube station might be closed.  Want a night bus but no oyster or travelcard?  Tough luck!

• On a stroppy little island of mixed up people...
    • City of Villages Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2014, 09:18:51 PM »
I agree CoV that it's a backwards move!   :-\\\\
I think TFL's reasoning is that so many visitors buy a travelcard, and many travel agents now sell "visitor oyster cards" when booking tickets to London (and some apparently include a visitor oyster card as a sweetener), most will already be covered.

But I can see a lot of people being caught out by this, especially at night when the nearest tube station might be closed.  Want a night bus but no oyster or travelcard?  Tough luck!

Very true, there are going to be a lot of disgruntled late night revellers who can't get back to their residences, from students to tourists.
It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent... the biggest aggregation of human life, the most complete compendium in the world.
-Henry James

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab