Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help with Driver's License Query  (Read 951 times)

• Liked: 0
Help with Driver's License Query
« on: January 09, 2004, 07:54:10 PM »
Hello all,

I have been living here for awhile now and am almost at my limit for how long I can drive on a US license.  I am wondering from other Americans now driving in the UK if you've gone for the UK license yet and if so, was the driving test scary for someone who was already driving here?  Did you take lessons before hand?  Also, because I have a US license, I don't need to take the theory test right?  And when I pass my test and go to get that license, do I have to hand in my US one because I just got it renewed and need it for when I visit my family, etc.  

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Kate

Re: Help with Driver's License Query
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 08:00:37 PM »
One more question for people who have taken the UK driving test...  did you take it in an automatic car?  Because I was told that it's not a problem to do that.  I have no idea how to drive manual.  : )

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 09:38:12 PM »
Hello all,

I have been living here for awhile now and am almost at my limit for how long I can drive on a US license.  I am wondering from other Americans now driving in the UK if you've gone for the UK license yet and if so, was the driving test scary for someone who was already driving here?  Did you take lessons before hand?  Also, because I have a US license, I don't need to take the theory test right?  And when I pass my test and go to get that license, do I have to hand in my US one because I just got it renewed and need it for when I visit my family, etc.  

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Kate

OK hopefully l can help a wee bit.  :-/

You can legally drive here in the UK on your American license for 1 year.

You first apply for your provisional driving licence then you need to apply for your theory test. You do have to take your theory test.
Also, you don't have to turn in your American License.

As far as driving on an automatic if you take your test in an automatic then you can only drive an automatic, Whereas if you take your test in a manual drive you can drive both.

Here's a website that might help you
http://www.2pass.co.uk/practical.htm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 09:40:20 PM by trish »

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 07:37:52 AM »
I'm lucky I can drive both. Remember, most cars in the UK are manual so if you do go automatic you may have difficulty 1-finding a car w/auto, 2-finding an affordable one. Just mho :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 03:32:08 PM »
Trish has given great info and definitely stuff you should follow. I just wanted to add a couple personal comments:

I had about 30 years driving experience in the US before I moved across. I drove both manuals and automatics and didn't seem to have a problem switching over to the other side of the road. Even with that I can't stress the importance of having had professional instruction. I was able to find a teacher who would tell me how to pass the test; not just how to drive. Armed with this info, I basically soared through the tests (one small glitch, but otherwise fine).

Since there are so many manual cars here, it might be best to learn how to drive a manual, and take the test for that so you're just going through the process once. It's not impossible to get an automatic here...just limiting if you can only drive an automatic.

I was told that the US officials consider it illegal to have two driving licenses, even if they are from two different countries. In other words, once I passed my UK test, I should have destroyed my US one. I'm just saying what I was told by my ex who is a cop...I don't agree with it so therefore I didn't follow the advice. (Why the heck should I do what my ex says?)  ;D
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links