Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Thanksgiving Recipes?  (Read 1391 times)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
Thanksgiving Recipes?
« on: September 19, 2002, 12:28:53 PM »
Specifically...I would love to make my family's traditional sweet potatoes.  Involves canned sweet potatoes, brown sugar (I think vanilla as well) and marshmallows.  Does anyone know where to get canned sweet potatoes over here?  Or, does anyone know a similar recipe involving fresh sweet potatoes?  I'd love to make this and am in need of guidance!  :)
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Thanksgiving Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 07:02:35 PM »
Hi Wench...

(sorry I haven't been in touch, honest!!  Are you still speaking to me???  I've been amazingly busy....sorry, pathetic excuse, I know but work is OUT OF CONTROL! I'll give you a ring soon I swear!!!)

Anyway...;)

I have a wonderful recipe for sweet potatoes that I made here last year.

You can use fresh sweet potatoes which are easy to find at Tesco, etc.

Just take 6-8 of them, peel them and chop them into 1-2 inch chunks.

Pop them in a saucepan with about a cup or so (that's an American cup, mind!) of butter, and about the same amount of brown sugar and a tsp or so of vanilla.  (Depending on how much you like)

Cook on medium high setting until they are nice and bubbly, then turn the heat waaaaaayyyy down, and cook for about 45 min to 1 hour until nice and mushy.

Then I just mash the heck out of 'em, pop them into a cassarole dish, top with marshmellows (again fairly easy to find withthe baking supplies at tesco, etc.) and put into the oven heated about 200 for 15 minutes or until the marshmellows get all brown and yummy.

Et viola!  Delicious!

(I got *very* creative last year for turkey day so anything you need, just ask!!!)

• having one of those days...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 11:50:06 AM »
mmmm, that recipe sounds good...

wench, try having a look at www.recipelink.com for more thanksgiving recipes.  people post all kinds of recipes there, including restaurant chain copycat ones (i got a copycat of tony roma's onion loaf...came out pretty good).

i use that board a LOT, especially when i'm craving something here that i can't have (like a good mexican mole sauce!!).

*:)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 12:29:18 PM »
thanks for the replies peeps.  :D  And dur Wish, of course I'm still talking to ya ya fiend.  ;)  I've got my mobile phone again, so gimme a shout and I'll give you the number (same for Christa).  When shall we three meet again?  roflmao...soz, couldn't help myself.  ;D
wench
...still wondering if I want to know what mole sauce is and what its made of...
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 02:49:34 PM »
Oh, Islandgirl, wish I'd known...left a perfectly good jar of mole sauce in my mother's cupboards in Florida!  Shall I have her pack it up in one of her "surprise" boxes she's been sending each week?!

Personally, though, I can't remember what's exactly IN mole sauce - except chocolate!  That much I remember!! :D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links