Author Topic: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about  (Read 52040 times)

Offline sonofasailor

• Liked: 241
Re: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
I have two words for you: Food Truck. Just sayin' :)

My thoughts. As I have worked in a food truck, my only advice is to get the best pair of long alpine mountaineering underwear available.
Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across - Sun Tzu

Offline Wren Black

• Liked: 0
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
I have two words for you: Food Truck. Just sayin' :)
Hey some of the best restaurants in the world ARE or have started as a food truck ;)
Good food doesn't have to come out of a fancy restaurant.
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together in May
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA; June-Sept '07--Honeymoon!; then Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Oct 2007--Moved to Iowa, Had 1st Daughter a year later!
April 2009--3rd Visit to the UK, had 2nd Daughter a year later!
Dec 2010--4th Visit to the UK,
May 2011--Moved back to Decatur, GA
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
Oct 2015--Here we come!

Offline Tricolor

« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
Good thread.

I don't like to be a debbie-downer, but I think one thing to think about (and I say this as British expat), is that many of those threads about "things that I love about the UK" are either (a) looking at things with very rose-tinted glasses, or (b) making broad generalizations and apples-vs-oranges comparisons.

For example, lots of them say people are more "open minded" or "friendly" in the UK....I think this entirely depends on what parts of the UK you're talking about and what parts of the US. If you compare like-for-like (London vs NYC, or small town England vs small town USA), I'm not so sure there's so much difference. That's what I mean about the funny generalizations and apples-oranges comparisons!

And there seems to be a lot saying that there is less pressure to be slim in the UK, or that men in the UK prefer "curvy" girls, etc etc....I think that's rose-tinted. I don't think there is any significant difference on that front between Brits and Americans. They're probably mistaking the tastes of their particular significant-other for the tastes of the population in general.

Offline chary

• Snaps
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
I don't like to be a debbie-downer, but I think one thing to think about (and I say this as British expat), is that many of those threads about "things that I love about the UK" are either (a) looking at things with very rose-tinted glasses, or (b) making broad generalizations and apples-vs-oranges comparisons.

There may be a bit of truth in what you say, but likewise people should take all of the 'I hate the UK' threads with a grain of salt as well. Many of the things people complain about are also nothing more than broad generalisations based on their own narrow experience here.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Offline Albatross

• Liked: 77
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »
There may be a bit of truth in what you say, but likewise people should take all of the 'I hate the UK' threads with a grain of salt as well. Many of the things people complain about are also nothing more than broad generalisations based on their own narrow experience here.

Agreed!

Offline Tricolor

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »

Oh yeah, that too, agreed.