Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Over the counter meds  (Read 45651 times)

• Liked: 24
Over the counter meds
« on: January 26, 2004, 06:09:10 PM »
I found I could get something over the counter today that I thought was a bit surprising, so I thought it might be helpful to keep a list stuck here, maybe save someone a trip to the GP. :)

Brolene Eye Ointment - for treatment of minor eye infections, such as conjunctivitis (£5) Available in drops as well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 06:12:16 PM by admin »

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Over the counter meds
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 06:36:18 PM »
Hey, Leah, thanks for that.  My kids are always getting pink eye!  Cheers.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 06:48:40 PM »
Hydrocortesone cream is available over the counter, but not for children.   So, if asked it's for yourself, ok?  ;)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 06:54:45 PM »
That reminds me, isn't codeine and paracetemol also available? how do you ask for it, what would you need it for?

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 07:00:24 PM »
Just ask for parecetemol with codeine.  I think it's for tooth aches and broken bones.  

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 03:42:40 AM »
Codine is a great cough suppressant actually. Works great if you have one of those hacking achy chest coughs.

Heck it surpresses lots of stuff! ::)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 11:17:17 PM »
Does Paracetemol=Tylenol??

I use tylenol with codeine for occasional migraines-glad to know it's otc.

Anyone know if Prevacid or Nexium are avilable(would be by prescription, I'm sure)??
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 07:49:30 PM »
Snupy:

Drugs are often registered and marketed using different brand names than those in the US or even by a different company, so use the generic name when requesting. Example: Prevacid is lansoprazole and Nexium is esomeprazole. Sometimes the brand name is the same (as with Nexium), but not always (Prevacid is sold as Zoton in UK by Wyeth) don't think these are over the counter, but you can check with the doctor or pharmacy when you get to the UK. :)

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 09:50:59 PM »
tHANK YOU, Begbielass!
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 09:57:51 PM »
I was surprised by how many IBS medicines are available in the UK...yippie for me.  It's just now being taken seriously in the US and it's considered a normal type of disease in the UK.  Guess it's just another good thing about the UK...hehehe ;)

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 04:24:07 AM »
You're welcome Snupy!

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 08:59:33 AM »
Anyone know if Prevacid or Nexium are avilable(would be by prescription, I'm sure)??

I would just like to confirm what Begbielass said about Prevacid.  As a 10 year veteran  of this medicine I can tell you that is available here, called zoton.  It is not avaible over the counter, and there isn't anything simular, as I just discovered about three weeks ago when I was out and in a world of hurt.  (you can't just phone up your doctor for a repeat perscription here!)

The good news is that instead of the 130 dollars you would have paid for thirty pills in the US you can now get it on the NHS at about 60 pills for 6 pound 50! :o
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 09:39:49 AM »

(you can't just phone up your doctor for a repeat perscription here!)

I do.
I phone up the surgery, ask for a prescription refill, and they tell me when i can come pick it up (usually the next day).  

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 10:25:02 AM »
I phone up the surgery, ask for a prescription refill, and they tell me when i can come pick it up (usually the next day).  

My surgery doesn't let you phone in refills.  :( You have to go there during opening hours and stick the empty box of the prescription you want into a little mailbox and give them 48 hours before you can pick up the prescription and then take it to the pharmacy.

It's an extreme hassle for me as I'm always getting refills (asthma & allergies)!  :-/  

I wish they could just put like 6 refills on the prescription and you could just go back to the pharmacy when you need them like in the US.

• My little cutie
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 01:32:29 PM »
I have to agree with lynne. It is the same way here in Romford and it is a pain in the bum, Glenn too has allergies and asthma and is in need of refills alot, but I see a comercial from Boots and they said somehting bout being able to get refills thru them with out having to go to the GP all the time, I have not had a chance to check this out yet but it might be worth looking into.

In the states Glenn just had a standing order on refills for like 6 months at a time that was so handy just being able to call it in then pick it up.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab