Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: University teaching jobs?  (Read 1540 times)

• Liked: 0
University teaching jobs?
« on: January 26, 2004, 11:08:40 PM »
I was hoping someone could help me to clarfy an education issue.  I currently teach writing at American colleges and was wondering what the uk equivelant to my courses would be.  I teach composition (think everybody's least favorite course - freshman english) and was hoping to possibly seek employment in the same capacity in the UK.  I don't have anysort of teaching qualification other than my MA.  Can anyone tell me if there are such courses built into the system, either at the University level or even at A-levels?  Thanks guys!

• Another pint, please!
Re: University teaching jobs?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 07:06:19 AM »
hey, Jess.

We're moving to the UK in just under two years, and I'm currently in the process of finishing my Ph.D. here in the US. I've been scoping out the UK higher ed world and have a few suggestions for you.

First, as I was told just recently, a doctorate is not a requirement for academic posts in the UK. So you shouldn't have a problem finding teaching jobs similar to the ones you've had in the US. Second, many universities, especially the smaller ones and the former polytechnics, may require you to get a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) as part of your contract. That's the teaching credential that you might want as a university lecturer there. They may wave it though, depending on how much teaching experience you have.

I'm not sure if you've found it yet, but the Times publishes a higher education newspaper called THES (Times Higher Education Supplement) that you can get at http://www.thes.co.uk. Some parts of it are subscription only, but you can at least look at the jobs and some of the articles. Also, the Guardian publishes an education section at http://education.guardian.co.uk. They give good information about higher education in general.

Finally, I've been told that the best jobs site is http://jobs.ac.uk. There seem to be lots of jobs on there, so when you get ready to look, there's the spot. Let me know what you find, as I'm always interested to learn more too!

Cheers,
-b

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 09:23:58 PM »
Thanks Baylor,

It's good to know that universities don't always require PhDs.  Hopefully, my Masters will mean something in the UK as the adjuncting system here in the US can get rather discouraging.  

I am just beginning the search, so I don't know much.  However, I do know that Fulbright offers unversity-level teacher exchanges to the UK .  If you have at least 3 (I think) years of full time experience you could give it a look.  WHat are you doing your PhD in?  

• Another pint, please!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 09:28:41 PM »
That's very cool... I hadn't heard of the Fulbright exchange program. I'll have to look into it.

I'm working on my doctorate in educational psychology--specifically, how technology impacts the learning process. I teach in a teacher preparation program here now (a Master's in Teaching program for new K-12 teacher certification).

I'm starting to get my feet wet in the culture of higher ed in the UK this fall, when I'll be heading to my first big conference over there. Knowing virtually no one in my field, I might add. It'll be interesting!  ;)

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 12:25:46 AM »
hey, Jess.

First, as I was told just recently, a doctorate is not a requirement for academic posts in the UK. So you shouldn't have a problem finding teaching jobs similar to the ones you've had in the US. Second, many universities, especially the smaller ones and the former polytechnics, may require you to get a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) as part of your contract. That's the teaching credential that you might want as a university lecturer there. They may wave it though, depending on how much teaching experience you have.
Cheers,
-b

Hi Baylor,

I have a couple of questions about the PGCE. Right now I am earning double degree's in Political Science/South Asian Studies & languages (Hindi) and while I think I'll probably go on to work at a NGO or advance on to law school after earning my MA---I haven't crossed out the idea of working populations (immigrants, refugees, asylees,) in particular children in the same capacity most likely as a teacher.

I guess my main question is, considering degrees like mine, would my coursework be "too complicated" or not general enough, say versus a degree in "mathematics."

...As I question in what regard I would be able to contribute to the British educational system... ??? Sorry if this question is really vague, I am not certain how to approach the subject. :)

Jess: Awesome luck concerning the Fullbright, its hyper-competitive, but you never know unless you try!!! :D

peace,

Samantha***

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 07:43:11 PM »
Baylor - Sounds like a useful and importantPhD.  good luck at your conference, they're some of the best places to network.  It's all about who you know!  

Samantha - thanks for the good wishes for the FUlbright but there is no way I could apply for it!  I'd be in way over my head!

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 08:33:34 PM »
Hi

I'm teaching part-time in two universities in London right now.  One is a permanent part-time position (0.5 contract) and the other is a visiting lecturer position (adjunct prof. in the US).  I have a PhD in TESOL from the US.  I'm teaching academic writing, TESOL and basic skills.  I already had experience teaching these subjects at university level in NYC and Istanbul.

It's true that a PH.D might not be a requirement in some academic posts but it is in most, especially if you want a full time position.  You'll have the most luck applying to the "new" universities (The former polytechnics.)  They're usually not as prestigious (ok, start the flaming war) ;)  but they do pay better and they are much more into "widening participation".  Basically, encouraging students who come from underrepresented groups (ethnic minorities, immigrants, etc) to apply to uni.

There's no such thing as freshman English per se, but many universities are now starting to offer writing classes to those with poor writing skills.  If you have experience working with ESL students or students with poor academic skills you should be able to find something. You should register with the 3 sites Baylor mentioned since you can then get a feel for what's out there.  All of them will email you updates of their job lists.

I hope this helps.

pcbnyc

• Another pint, please!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 08:56:58 AM »
Samantha-

I'm afraid that, as I've not gotten into the academic culture yet in the least, I've no idea how to answer your question.  :-/ Sorry, I just have no clue yet as to how teaching credentials work in the UK.  ???  Best of luck.

-baylor

Sponsored Links