Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tax questions  (Read 956 times)

• Liked: 0
Tax questions
« on: January 27, 2004, 10:30:23 PM »
Hello Helen
I moved to the UK in April of 2003 (US citizen). I married my English husband in May. I worked briefly for a UK company and earned very little during that time. I have two questions for you:
Do I have to claim my UK income on my US tax returns? (Under 2500.00 pounds)
Also, from what I gather, I have three filing options:
Married filing jointly
Married filing separately
Head of Household
Other than the obvious, meaning more $ returned to me, is there any benefit of going through the hassle of obtaining an ITIN for my spouse to file Married/joint? We will be moving back to the states in May 2004 and wondered if there is any other invisible benefit?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Tax questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 11:59:41 PM »
The answer to your first question is Yes. You will need to report your UK income on your US return. But remember to claim the exclusion and foreign tax credit also.

Also, note that you will have HOH as one of your options if you had a child / children who lived with you.

MFJ tax rates are more beneficial than MFS, and also you get a higher standard deduction, and personal exemption. However it may not make sense to file as MFJ if this will not impact your bottom line tax liability. I cannot comment on this as I do not have the figures in question.

Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 01:11:15 PM »
Also, note that you will have HOH as one of your options if you had a child / children who lived with you.

Okay - that's interesting!  Can I file Married filing Separately AND claim Head of Household (moved over here with my 2 kids who I've obviously been claiming in the past)?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 01:11:32 PM by peedal »
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 06:06:40 PM »

Can I file Married filing Separately AND claim Head of Household (moved over here with my 2 kids who I've obviously been claiming in the past)?

Good question

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 06:49:49 PM »
You can either file MFS or HOH. You cannot do both. And you can only file as HOH if you have qualifying children living with you.

Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links