Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Life Cover as Standard Employee Benefit?  (Read 1279 times)

• Another pint, please!
  • Liked: 0
Life Cover as Standard Employee Benefit?
« on: January 31, 2004, 05:15:51 AM »
In the US, professional employees usually receive, as a matter of course, a certain amount of life insurance (often 2 or 3 times the annual salary) as part of their benefits package.

This cover is provided as a blanket benefit and without any application or exam or anything.

Is this a standard practice in the UK, or does anyone know?

Thanks!
-Baylor

• Liked: 1
Re: Life Cover as Standard Employee Benefit?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 10:29:34 AM »
well, I don't know about all areas of business, but neither my husband or myself receives any life insurance at our places of employment.  In fact we had to take some out when we got the mortgage on our house, it costs between 30-40 pounds a month for the two of us, can't remember exactly off the top of my head.  
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 12:38:56 PM »
Mu husband's company offers him life insurance, but it's emager to say the least - so we also have taken out separate policies. So I guess it really depends on the company, I'm sure it's not across-the-board that companies here don't offer it...
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 12:42:02 AM »
In my experience it is not offered as standard by employers. If you think about it, how would they, the employers. benefit.

However, if your employed does provide it, I think it would be seen as a benefit and subject to tax. Health insurance provided by your employer, which COULD benefit the employer, is treated as income and you are taxed on it.

Sponsored Links