Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I the only UK female that has an American husband here in UK????  (Read 36234 times)

• Wedding Treasures
  • Liked: 0
Just wanted to see if there were any husbands that had moved from US to UK.  Posts I read seem to come from wives and it just set me wondering.

I'm sure there must be and its probably a case of me not finding those particular posts.  Or could the reason be that women post far more?

I lived in US for 3 years before we came back to UK (for a lot of different reasons, but thats a different story) - and my husband who once used to say that 'he would never live anywhere else but America' has liked it here from the moment he arrived and has changed his views on England and the English people since living here.

It would be great to hear of other views from US husbands on how they have coped, what they miss and what they like/love about england  :)

Pauline :)

• Liked: 2
Re: Am I the only UK female that has an American husband here in UK????
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »
Hi Pauline, there are not that many US husbands posting on here. Mine posts occasionally, he is londonhalo, you will mostly find his posts in foodtalk because it's mostly various food items he misses!

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:53:14 AM »
Pauline!!!!!!

Ha! Didn't realise you were on here! :D So, yes, you can include me in the 'having a US Hubby in the UK' count. ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:59:40 PM »
Or could the reason be that women post far more?

I think it is... women in general I think have always been more community-support-minded than men.
- Pennsylvania girl in Manchester

Unofficially moved to England July 2005 (visa waiver)
Married in PA on August 25th, 2006
Officially moved to England September 2006 (Spousal Visa)

• Wedding Treasures
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »
Blooming heck Tams!!!! I just heard from Marlene this week and she said she passed on my email to you so here goes........CONSIDERING YOURSELF SMACKED ON THE LEGS YOUNG LADY!!!

So, now I have that out the way, thanks to britwife MancGirl for answering me.  I know what you mean because I keep telling Wyatt to come on here and ask the questions that he ask me.  Just because I'm a woman does not mean I know ALL the answers  ;) - and besides, most of what he asks me is in regard to where he can get american food from or sport!  He's quite happy now since we got Sky and he can watch his football (in fact, thats what he's doing now) - plus he can watch his baseball on the computer  ;D

So Tam's how is Bruce doing over here?  And how are those little angels of yours doing??? You will certainly have to write me and tell me all that has happened since you got back - and hey, we never did manage to meet up in US so maybe we can finally do it here!!!  :-*

Still waiting to hear Wyatt's operation date (he has to have a quadruple by-pass). They are now looking towards end of October but it all depends on the meeting they are having tomorrow.  It was suppose to be end of this month, but no way am I going to complaint about the NHS as its been a god send to us since coming back  :)

Best get going now before I end up writing a book (Tam's knows what I mean) <winks>.

take care all.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 08:44:19 AM »
I'm a Brit  ;D

Hubs and I got married in the US in 1998 and we moved to the UK in 2002. We have a 2 1/2 year old son.

We almost went back again this year, but for many reasons which piled up we decided not to. There are things hubs doesn't like about the UK, but he's pretty happy here. Not enough gaming geeks for him, but he's been finding his way!

He missed baseball, but to everyone's surprise has been really getting into cricket after being sarky about it for a few years!!

• Wedding Treasures
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 11:57:22 AM »
Hubby also  misses his baseball and football - but we now  have a channel of our sky package that he can watch all his games.  Only trouble is that they are all on at 1 in the morning, but he's happy with that.  He also subscribes to getting his baseball on the computer  ;D

• Liked: 10
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 12:56:17 PM »
We will be moving back to the UK, I have spent 10 years here in South Carolina (originally from Northamptonshire), its his turn come Feb!

• Wedding Treasures
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »
10 years  :D - long time that is! I only managed 3.

What was it that made you want to come back after so long?

Pauline ;)

• Liked: 10
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 12:54:24 PM »
We have "wondered" if we would prefer the UK for years, (I moved over here straight out of college ready for an adventure) always decided the weather was better and life was more relaxed over here, better standard of living for us, but then my 2 babies (3yr old and a 1yr old) came along (and everything changed!), we work alot, hardly have any vacation, (my 4 sick days per year just don't cut it  :(), hardly any family help, not sure where I want my kids growing up.  So its a "now or never" thing, before they get into school, we are trying to keep it simple, pack our stuff into storage, rent the house out for a couple of years and see what we think to living over there.  Might be for good, or might be for a couple of years.  I am looking forward to seeing abit of Europe, we drove 7 hours to see the Tweetsie Railway this year!  I do keep regressing into wanting to stay when I think of grey skies!  I am pretty nervous as I have become more American, in my accent etc...  I love this site, so helpful and I am trying to prepare myself for how my husband is going to like it or not!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 04:12:39 PM »

Am I the only UK female that has an American husband here in UK????

I have an American husband, but he doesn't really post in forums... I know that doesn't help much, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone...  There are other women who are married to American men  ;D

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 02:12:12 AM »
HI there,
I'm a Brit currently living in NC with my US hubby, however moving to the UK next year. We've been married since 1998, living on Cruise ships for 8 years before moving to NC after having my now one year old daughter!!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 11:38:26 PM »
Hey...

I'm a guy that lives in New York City and my fiance lives in the UK. Hope to be married and living in the UK within a year.

I am looking so forward to trying a new way of life and living in a new country. Especially with the rest of the world in our backyard. I have also grown tired of the American life style, even though I am not sure what that means because all I do is work and get a crappy ten days off a year.  I consider myself lucky these days just to have health benefits. Never mind having time to visit with family or truly take a break.

I am so looking forward to a move like this but then again I have always been the adventurous type. And why put off traveling in a big way until you are retired and wearing depends :o

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 06:22:56 PM »
I'm an American man married to a British wife. We met during her gap year 8 years ago, did the LDR thing for 3+ years, got married in 2002 have lived together in the states ever since. We'll plan to move to London in the next few years. We want to have our kids in the states but raise them in the UK, if that makes any sense :)

She's not the type to post on forums, but I think this site is pretty interesting.

-Brian

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »
I am a Londoner married to an American ;D.  You are not alone.

Porsha

Sponsored Links